Gold Cup - June 19th 2019 - Canada vs Mexico

apbsmith

5 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Well I hope its for rest cuz if the plan was to hide our hand with these players. That strategy is gone because all 3 subs have come in and shown what they can do.

No Piette, Hoillett or Millar. Safe to say they wont see Teibert, Johnson and Larin. 

I question ZBG being a better choice than Godhino against Mexico

I believe in rest but I don't believe in hiding you cards for a semi finals.  In my opinion you play to win tonight.  You rest your starters vs Cuba.  Larin and some others should have started vs Cuba and the starters rested for the quarter finals.  And if your'e going to rest some players dont rest your 4 best attackers besides Cavallini.

Overall not a terrible result and the most important thing is that we showed we can play vs Mexico in the final 30 minuts.  The first 60 were tough to watch because we all know we are better than that.

6 minutes ago, Razcal said:

A lot easier to do finishing 1st in your group and playing Haiti over Costa Rica.

Rest your players against Cuba, not Mexico.

The rest you're "comparing" is not in any way the same.  There's a huge difference between playing a game 4 days later (at altitude) and playing one 8 days later. 

Mexico rotated their team much less than we did and lost 2 players to injury.   You think we could afford to lose 2 starters and have any chance of going far in this tournament?

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I know apparently Adekugbe's fitness was in question. But you have Cordova. You have Morgan. The CPL has featured an impressive Langwa, Abzi. There's no excuse for how Herdman is treating that LB spot for Canada. You wanna know how you can also see who fits in your system? FRIENDLIES

CPL defenders aren't ready for this

I'd say an upset is not out of the question if we meet them again. It's really too bad we don't have ONE (1) lights-out CB. It's kind of odd that that's still our homegrown need with three MLS teams and their academies considering DP and TAM money goes to forward and midfield players, and it's the least technically demanding position.

Borjan - Very good again

Atiba - I thought he did fairly well back there

Henry - Not bad but terrible giveaway

Cornelius - Okay

ZBG - Struggled

Teibert - Struggled

Johnson - Didnt know he played tonight

Kaye - Deserves to start over Piette.

Davies - Stood out to me when nobody else did.

Cavallini - Much more involved after the subs

Larin - Felt hard done by because both him and Cavallini had no help in the first 60 minutes up top

David - Great minus his backheel pass

Osorio - Very good

Arfield - Excellent

Edited by Corazon

I was smacking the ground,  on the verge of smashing my beer glass when that ball was played to David rather than to the left among other frustrating things.....

but! 

I believe this was more of a confidence issue than anything else. I saw enough in that second half where I can say the rematch will be much different. 

Edited by Macksam

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Imagine if Canada played more games and allowed Henry/Cornelius/James/Inster CPL CB here/ to gel and get to know each other in a game environment. Sigh. Not to mention figuring out the fullback situation.

While your at it, imagine Soccer Canada having hundreds of millions in the bank and having players training with it by diving around in it Scrooge McDuck style!

On 6/20/2019 at 5:31 AM, SkuseisLoose said:

Hope Liam starts vs Cuba feel he was hard done by not to start here.

Notice I didn’t say a thing in any of my posts about him  that’s not mine to say did I want him to play yes  do I think his pace could have add something  yes  

But  Liam needs to work harder and do more to try to get in the team that’s all. That’s the msg I send him everyday. Keep ur head down keep working. His time will come. He’s still young. ...

he loves Canada and being part of something special we are building it’s the long game for me...

Edited by spitfire

Kind of confused by our strategy going into this. I get it's a long tourney and need to rest guys throughout but considering how weak Cuba is couldn't we have rested our top guys for that game? If he wanted to not show off our top guys and keep them caught off guard why sub in Arfield, Osorio and David in the second half when already down 2-0. Either not sub them in or rest our guys vs Cuba. Weird game plan imo. 

That defending was ugly, but also helps with being optimistic. The comedy of errors uhh. 

I did not like the rotation. We have to go for it. I also agree with the obvious, as many have said, the backline needs work and we should use more actual defenders there. I know Herdman is qualified, and is trying to field the most talented guys, as he sees it, but you can't fit a square peg in a round hole, you just have to take the best of shabby round pegs you have.

Johnson, who,  at one point, was a guy I saw as top 3 on the line-up card for Canada, seems to be now close to being sent to the pastures. 

I guarantee this board will be the most negative place we can find about our performance tonight. Quite typical for a supporters group, mind you. But everyone else will be more positive about us than we are.

i don’t know about some of you but I saw clear progress and passion out there. I agree with KJ’s closing comments, I have never seen Canada go toe to toe like that against Mexico as we did in the last 30 minutes, even when we have beaten them in the past. 

5 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

The rest you're "comparing" is not in any way the same.  There's a huge difference between playing a game 4 days later (at altitude) and playing one 8 days later. 

Mexico rotated their team much less than we did and lost 2 players to injury.   You think we could afford to lose 2 starters and have any chance of going far in this tournament?

Your point is bang on. Unfortunately for Canada that first injury was key to them winning the game. Guardado came on, was fantastic (as usual) and was in the middle of everything dangerous they did. Gutierrez isn’t a special player like Guardado is and he was not missed. 

I will never understand why Herdman called all of his regulars instead of some actual natural defenders.  We have played Atiba, Teibert & Kaye on defence.  MAK, Teibert & Davies have all played LB and we literally have a natural left back in Morgan on the bench.  Left Back Adekudgbe returned to playing this week.  Left Back Cordova is playing 90 minutes weekly in Chile.  And we continue to experiment with center mids at LB.

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I guarantee this board will be the most negative place we can find about our performance tonight. Quite typical for a supporters group, mind you. But everyone else will be more positive about us than we are.

i don’t know about some of you but I saw clear progress and passion out there. I agree with KJ’s closing comments, I have never seen Canada go toe to toe like that against Mexico as we did in the last 30 minutes, even when we have beaten them in the past. 

The last 30 minutes being key. Ultimately what I and many others saw was that Herdman set up the team to lose. That play and that formation in the first half reminded me of Floroball.

36 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Bueller Bueller? Anyone why bring them on when the game is gone?!?!? Rotate and rest WTF is the point of bringing them on?!?!

I think what he did by bringing them on is show his own team that when they have more of their best lineup they can compete with Mexico.  It was a morale  booster aimed at playing Mexico again in semis.

Anyway, thought this was a great learning experience for the team.  Mexico is a tough fucking team and they've been that way a long time.  Great positioning, runs off ball, ball-winning, and defensive recoveries.  Not sure what people were expecting.   On another night maybe we keep that game close and even nip a tie.

We knew we had issues defensively and there were just enough miscues and moments of confusion to give Mexico the chances they needed.  But we held them and made things difficult for long stretches of first half with what I thought was an excellent gameplan to contain Mexico's midfield buildup.

We go in to the half 0-0 and maybe its a different ballgame.

Not sure why people seem to underestimate Mexico, but I felt better about us holding our own in this one than other games i've watched against Mexico.

We still have a lot of chasing to do but think how long it took the US to beat them in something important.  I have a lot of hope going forward after this game.  You can see that a lot of the pieces are there, and there were some great spells of midfield buildup against a Mexican team that just defends solidly and harasses and makes things difficult.