Gold Cup - June 19th 2019 - Canada vs Mexico

apbsmith

Just now, Lansdude said:

Well we know now we definitely don't have a good SQUAD. Maybe we have about 7 of a solid starting 11.

We’ve known this for a while. Defence is weak. Doesnt help when some of our half decent defenders are left out. 

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Will there be questions asked of Herdman about this game? Especially if they get bounced in the quarters?

I don’t think so.  You can justify this game as

- ensuring our best squad is available to get the needed result against Cuba

- maybe giving our actual lineup a run out for the last 30 minutes to keep building (less sure about this part)

either way, I think Herdman will be judged on the basis of the tourney, not on this game 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

What exactly does Canada learn about themselves playing this game in this formation? I get Herdman wants to hide what he'll do in the knockout stages but it's borderline embarassing how poor the team looks.

We learned that Larin has no business there?

Seriously, the goal is the semi-finals. All you need is a point to advance to Quarterfinals (Martinique should lose to Mexico).

Why burn your best lineup against Mexico in altitude? 

Even in a loss

1. We can still advance to QF with a fresher A Team

2.You haven't fully showed your hand

3. You exposed your defense corps to the Mexican onslaught so they experience it and adjust. We've been playing weak foes for over a year. You had to expose them because Costa Rica or Haiti will be tough as well.

4. ZBG hasn't convinced me...I need the Cuba game to reassess Godhino

5. I prefer Kaye over Piette

I get the logic behind the madness

Edited by Ansem

Just now, Acid-Tone said:

I totally disagree with those of you guys who think going balls out playing at altitude against Mexico, in a game that ultimately doesn't mean all that much would be worth the potential fatigue/injuries!

So why bother subbing them in at all?

Sub them out after 60, lets actually play for a win.