Gold Cup - June 19th 2019 - Canada vs Mexico

apbsmith

On 6/20/2019 at 4:58 AM, JamboAl said:

I don’t get the subs.  We should have either started this line up or just get out of this game with the lineup we had and take whatever hiding we get.  

So 

Edited by spitfire

2 minutes ago, spitfire said:

So we tip our hat show them what we have now that we are losing so they can prepare better for us in the semis?!!?!??

In fairness, it’s not like the idea of playing out best 11 is some top secret plan. I am sure they can anticipate most of our starting lineup if we see them in the elimination rounds.

The subs of Oso, David, Arfield tells me that Herdman thought he could ambush Tata by playing a A- squad and hoping sucker punch Mexico somehow.

If Herdman didn't expect a result, he wouldn't have put Oso, David and Arfield in.

Not playing best players against Mexico sends a message to the squad. And it's not a good one in a tournament IMO

1 minute ago, maplebanana said:

I think that's maybe revisionism. This is the first real test in the Herdman era, and whether through lineup selection or poor individual performances, we failed the test.

Its literally not. 

We had no intention of winning this game, that was determined 60 mins before it started when the lineups were released. Of herdman wanted to win this game he wouldve started our best players. 

Its not revisionist theory. The test is the QFS 

27 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Because eventually you need to something. And he has never produced against a good team. I think 1 of his 8 goals have been against good competition. Playing okay isn't good enough for where this program is going... and in my opinion even where we already are. 

But this is arguably the first time me have played against a good team in two years.

3 minutes ago, Yohan said:

The subs of Oso, David, Arfield tells me that Herdman thought he could ambush Tata by playing a A- squad and hoping sucker punch Mexico somehow.

If Herdman didn't expect a result, he wouldn't have put Oso, David and Arfield in.

Not playing best players against Mexico sends a message to the squad. And it's not a good one in a tournament IMO

So you think herdmans plan was to play our B team then make 3 subs and win the game? 

Edited by king1010

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

Its literally not. 

We had no intention of winning this game, that was determined 60 mins before it started when the lineups were released. Of herdman wanted to win this game he wouldve started our best players. 

Its not revisionist theory. The test is the QFS 

He's playing to get through to the QF. Putting on a defensive squad that won't push forward means we shouldn't give up a ton of goals incase we somehow lose to Cuba, we could still get through on +/-.

2 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Yeah, not how I read it at all.  We put low priority on this game and put out a weaker squad accordingly.  Sure, we hope the guys on the field can do it, but it wasn’t the plan.