Jayden Nelson

KW519

23 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Started last night vs. Cincinnati and was very underwhelming. I think he needs to go play a season or two in USL or CPL. I just don’t think he’s anywhere near ready for MLS level and the sporadic playing time can’t be good for his development 

Agree he didn't have a great match but wasn't it the 1st MLS start for the youngster? He did show some flashes of what he is capable of, this is a very small sample size to be claiming he needs to be sent away for a couple of seasons but do agree if he isn't going to get more chances I would like to see him loaned to Forge for some more development!

2 hours ago, gator said:

Agree he didn't have a great match but wasn't it the 1st MLS start for the youngster? He did show some flashes of what he is capable of, this is a very small sample size to be claiming he needs to be sent away for a couple of seasons but do agree if he isn't going to get more chances I would like to see him loaned to Forge for some more development!

He had one previous start in the knockout game of the MLS is back tournament but I guess that's not officially an MLS game.

He seemed more comfortable last night than in his previous sub appearances. With five games in the next two weeks he might get a little more playing time.

I'd love to see him go out on loan in January, perhaps to a team such as HB Koge.

Don’t know what people expected Nelson to do in last night’s game. He did fairly well, yes he didn’t score or get an assist , but he made some good runs , worked hard got around players a couple of times. It was only his second start the kid is 18 , he has loads of potential just needs to be managed properly by the coaches. With more playing time I think he is ready for this level, maybe not as a starter yet but he is getting close in my opinion .

I don't think anyone was saying that he was bad but there were times, particularly when he was defending 1v1, when he looked like a kid playing against men.

I'm sure if he gets regular playing time as a sub next year he'll slowly adapt. I would hope that if he spends a season or even half a season at a lower level playing against men every game it would accelerate his growth. Ideally I'd like to see him go on loan to Europe in January and come back in the summer and try to win a place in the TFC lineup. If he can't quite cut it yet he can go to Europe again in the fall for a full season.

I have no doubt that the teams in the Danish 2nd division are going to line up to make may fantasy come true.

On 9/24/2020 at 10:39 AM, Bison44 said:

I hate to keep the derailing of Nelsens thread going, but cripes, does no one rememeber Pablo Vitti??  Argentine u-20, everyone so excited....Attakora scored as much as he did, and Vitti did the impossible..he made Chad Barett look good.  It was right about then i first thought that these guys really dont know what they are doing.  

Pablo Vitti,  besides the lack of goals, at least looked good on the ball and played well. Worst player by far is Ty Harden or Jacob Peterson. 

If its worst player...geesh i dont know, but i think it was worst big signing that derailed the thread.  I dont think anyone thought Garcia, Iro, Harden, Lombardo were going to be stars.  

I missed most of the game but caught the replay on TSN today.  Nelsen did ok.  WHen you sit and just watch him the whole game his performance makes sense.  You can see he is on a short leash, look after your defensive duties, dont loose the ball 10 times trying to beat a guy one on one etc etc.  But you can see he has some skill, and enough pace to be hard to handle when he gets his confidence up.  Happy to see him and Fraser get the start and whoah...can you believe it.. the world didnt end eh??  Vanney can go to his bench a bit, win the game and even Mullins/Zaveleta contributed in the win.  

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

If its worst player...geesh i dont know, but i think it was worst big signing that derailed the thread.  I dont think anyone thought Garcia, Iro, Harden, Lombardo were going to be stars.  

I missed most of the game but caught the replay on TSN today.  Nelsen did ok.  WHen you sit and just watch him the whole game his performance makes sense.  You can see he is on a short leash, look after your defensive duties, dont loose the ball 10 times trying to beat a guy one on one etc etc.  But you can see he has some skill, and enough pace to be hard to handle when he gets his confidence up.  Happy to see him and Fraser get the start and whoah...can you believe it.. the world didnt end eh??  Vanney can go to his bench a bit, win the game and even Mullins/Zaveleta contributed in the win.  

Zavaleta actually looked pretty good. Better than Ciman with his crazy back pass at the end. 

56 minutes ago, RS said:

I noticed that, too. It's like he finally found his confidence once he knew he was about to leave the game.

Hopefully a few more games and the confidence will be stronger. All the right tools though, exciting when you see some of the young guys down south 

1 hour ago, jordan said:

Nelson kinda looked like someone who was afraid to make an error, until that run before they subbed him out

That's the case with a lot of youngsters in creative/attacking positions in this league, both Americans and Canadians. Managers do not give these guys a license to fail, which is why so many young guys seem complacent when they should be making moves and creating stuff. 

• 6 months later...

He certainly has a lot of growing / improving to do - at the moment MLS seems too quick, too physical and the quality of defending too high for his trickery at the moment.  He’ll also have to work on his ‘explosiveness’ - seems very weak.

Nice assist though, and I know there’s lots of potential so let’s give him time.

Edited by TOcanadafan

Thought he started quite brightly actually. His quick play led to TFC's first goal and his ability to press led to their only other chances of the first half. TFC missed him dearly early in the 2nd half, particularly when they had Morrow there instead (not so much when Shaffelburg came on because Shaffelburg replaced Nelson's pressing energy and speed, whereas Morrow at his age doesn't have the speed or stamina to play that way). Vancouver taking the game over early in the 2nd had a lot to do with that poor substitution.

His only poor play for me was dawdling on the ball late in the first half leading to a very silly giveaway, which fortunately led to nothing.

Nice to see him get a start.  However he should probably come in later in the game and be exposed slowly to this level.  He has a great deal of energy but needs a much better understanding of his position the pitch.  He will be something special I think but needs to be brought on slower.