Jayden Nelson

KW519

Best thing to do was to play him like they did. It was a meaningless game for the season, and Toronto's best option was to be out of Florida ASAP, so that they can get through the 14-day quarantine and start training again.

He did look nervous and non-confident ... hopefully this helps him get past that. I doubt we'll see him again barring massive absences, until the Voyageurs Cup ... wouldn't be surprised to see him against Toronto York 905.

I like the kid but lets not get carried away.  Davies at 17 had 20-30 MLS games under his belt, and had won the golden boot at the Gold cup.  Even with that pedigree a lot of us were surprised he took over the Bunda and bayern as easy as he did, becoming a global star.  Thats like catching lightning in a bottle...we've had way more kids that shined at 17 and Petered (hahaha pun intended) out and never hit the big time let alone the stratosphere like Davies.  I hope he just gets some more minutes with TFC and doesnt waste a year.  

31 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I like the kid but lets not get carried away.  Davies at 17 had 20-30 MLS games under his belt, and had won the golden boot at the Gold cup.  Even with that pedigree a lot of us were surprised he took over the Bunda and bayern as easy as he did, becoming a global star.  Thats like catching lightning in a bottle...we've had way more kids that shined at 17 and Petered (hahaha pun intended) out and never hit the big time let alone the stratosphere like Davies.  I hope he just gets some more minutes with TFC and doesnt waste a year.  

Agree.  Let’s not burden the kid with expectations about being the next superstar.  He is doing well and just needs to keep working hard, fighting for minutes, and improving his play.  Being the next Davies or David should not be something he is thinking about at this stage.  

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Agree.  Let’s not burden the kid with expectations about being the next superstar.  He is doing well and just needs to keep working hard, fighting for minutes, and improving his play.  Being the next Davies or David should not be something he is thinking about at this stage.  

As long as he is not trying to become the next Wyn Belotte....

Edited by Obinna

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

To be fair, only one person has invoked the Daves' names in this conversation, and he's undeniably one who's best ignored.

24 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Honestly, I see no chance that he flames out.  No idea what his ceiling will be but I really do think he will continue to improve and become a CMNT mainstay.  

I agree, even though we would say the same thing about Tabla. Not that he has flamed out yet, but let's just say things haven't gone to plan..

Maybe it is a Montreal thing? 

(that is a joke)

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Corazon said:

Hardly anyone stood out for TFC tonight except for Bono who saved them all game but Jayden earned his first official minutes in MLS a few days before his 18th birthday.

Jayden didn't look bad He just seemed overaggressive at some points. Or maybe Tinnerholm just used his experience to make a rookie look too aggressive. He connected passes and you could see Pozuelo cheering him when he made good plays.

I think Ager Aketxe could have been a good player for TFC. He was on a lot of money but it was not outrageous. He is clearly a good player. He has gone on to score 4 goals in 33 games for Cadiz in the 2018-19 season (they narrowly missed out on the playoffs), and last year he scored 7 in 35 games for Deportivo La Coruna (who were sadly relegated). Maybe the fit wasn't right for him in Toronto, but you win some and you lose some. Either way, Aketxe is not someone I would put in the worst signing category and same goes for Gallardo for that matter, even though the Venezuelan has been a massive disappointment.  

Edited by Obinna

I hate to keep the derailing of Nelsens thread going, but cripes, does no one rememeber Pablo Vitti??  Argentine u-20, everyone so excited....Attakora scored as much as he did, and Vitti did the impossible..he made Chad Barett look good.  It was right about then i first thought that these guys really dont know what they are doing.  

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I hate to keep the derailing of Nelsens thread going, but cripes, does no one rememeber Pablo Vitti??  Argentine u-20, everyone so excited....Attakora scored as much as he did, and Vitti did the impossible..he made Chad Barett look good.  It was right about then i first thought that these guys really dont know what they are doing.  

I am shocked to find out he actually went on to have a decent career:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Vitti

2 goals in 5 games for Queretaro (presumably in Liga MX), 13 in 38 for LCD Quito (big Ecuadorian club) and also played for Tigre as well (not UNAL...the Argentine club where Janson came from). 

Not bad for someone who is remembered as a terrible signing! 

How many of these players only had a terrible time once they were in Toronto I wonder?

Mista was a terrible signing.  A Madrid youth international who played for Tenerife, Valencia, Atletico and Deportivo before joining Toronto FC.

Back to Jayden, I thought he settled in fairly well against one of the other best teams in MLS.  He's a player that will excel going forward and attacking so its hard to judge in a game like this when both him and Toronto had very little going forward all game.  He does sometimes look a little over excited but I like how hard he works and the effort he puts in.  He looks like a 17 year old rookie who knows he has to work extra hard to earn his minutes.  Definitely going to need to bulk up a little but but hopefully that comes with age.

Maybe we can loan him to Bayern for a season and come back a little bigger?

Edited by Corazon

45 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Mista was a terrible signing.  A Madrid youth international who played for Tenerife, Valencia, Atletico and Deportivo before joining Toronto FC.

Back to Jayden, I thought he settled in fairly well against one of the other best teams in MLS.  He's a player that will excel going forward and attacking so its hard to judge in a game like this when both him and Toronto had very little going forward all game.  He does sometimes look a little over excited but I like how hard he works and the effort he puts in.  He looks like a 17 year old rookie who knows he has to work extra hard to earn his minutes.  Definitely going to need to bulk up a little but but hopefully that comes with age.

Maybe we can loan him to Bayern for a season and come back a little bigger?

He looks so slight, even for a 17 year old. But man, he absolutely bodied Anton Tinnerholm twice (was called for a foul both times, second one got a yellow although I don't think either one was actually a foul). Tinnerholm sperged out so hard. I didn't realize what an absolute weirdo Tinnerholm is; guy looks like he has a screw loose. I actually found an NYCFC bingo card where one of the squares is "Tinnerholm yells after fouling someone".

But I digress. Nelson showed ok in this match. An immediate worry with precocious, skilled, young attackers is that they won't be responsible tracking back or pressing effectively. I don't have that worry from the few times I've seen him.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I just hope he doesn’t change the way he plays in terms of his freedom. We need to develop more of these kind of players who are really skillful, and have the ability to create by just playing free. 

Im so high on this kid, because I know once he settles in, he will be a problem for defenders.

The very best attackers are good pressers because they understand the game from both sides of the ball. They know that when they have the ball, if certain options are taken away then they are in trouble. They use that information to be smart without the ball. Vanney is a guy who often likes his team to press high and intelligently, not to have guys stand off and play last ditch heroball in the defensive third (although admittedly that's what they did versus NYCFC).

There is no room for non-effective pressers in the modern game if you want to be a team that dominates the match. I understand and agree with what you are saying: that we need to nurture Nelson's attacking flair and not stifle it, but I am not overly worried for him.

• 3 weeks later...