Jayden Nelson

KW519

5 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Personally, I hope Nelson is loaned out to a CPL side to get consistent playing time.  That is what he needs: consistent playing time in a professional environment where if he performs well for half a season, he can be recalled if minutes are available to him with TFC.  Rutty is probably fine with playing consistently at League One with TFCII.

I think a half-season loan could be good. Based on his play for Canada he is ready for TFC right now.

It looks like TFC won't bring a DP until summer. The window closes in a wk IIRC.

Considering that, I think minutes are on the table to start the year. Endo, Gallardo, Schaffleburg are the other options and I think Nelsen can sneak in there somewhere.

He is only 17, so I would give him a chance until the summer (to get aquianted with first team life) and if a DP winger comes they can asses who should go on loan or even if anyone should go on loan.

Edited by Obinna

I think they need to assess it in the pre-season.  If he is going to get quality minutes, keep him.  If they don't think he is quite ready, loan him.  The main thing is he needs to play (but also in an environment conducive to his skills).

Edited by An Observer
grammar correction

4 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Personally, I hope Nelson is loaned out to a CPL side to get consistent playing time.  That is what he needs: consistent playing time in a professional environment where if he performs well for half a season, he can be recalled if minutes are available to him with TFC.  Rutty is probably fine with playing consistently at League One with TFCII.

I imagine thats what they'll do with him only with TFC2.  Hanging around with senior club etc, ready to get called up for V-cup, no messy loan.  Guys like Petrasso, Hundal and Srbely need to get out of TFC2 and test the waters in CPL.  

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think a half-season loan could be good. Based on his play for Canada he is ready for TFC right now.

It looks like TFC won't bring a DP until summer. The window closes in a wk IIRC.

Considering that, I think minutes are on the table to start the year. Endo, Gallardo, Schaffleburg are the other options and I think Nelsen can sneak in there somewhere.

He is only 17, so I would give him a chance until the summer (to get aquianted with first team life) and if a DP winger comes they can asses who should go on loan or even if anyone should go on loan.

The window doesn’t open until February 7 and is open until May 1. 

As for Nelsen I do think he should stay with TFC for now.  He hasn’t even broken into the second team fully.  Once he can excel there but maybe can’t break into the first team a CPL loan might be nice. 

I would like to see TFC go with a 4-2-3-1 line up with the three being the all-Canadian Triple -J line of Jacob, Jahkeele and Jayden.

Or they could go with a 4 man midfield, quadruple-J adding Jonathan Osorio. Too bad Jay Chapman isn’t around to make it Quintuple-J, not to mention Jordan Hamilton could have made it a sextuple Canadian J front six.

As for Julian Dunn.....ok I will stop now.

Besides Nelson, the only players brought into Toronto FC so far this season are Jahkeele, Rocco & the 4 draft picks.  I suspect Toronto FC will likely bring in another player or two before the season starts but preseason performances may determine if its needed.  There are definitely some minutes up for grabs.  Particularly when I saw Benezet go for money, I suspected Nelson would be signed to the first team.  

2019 Toronto FC season

Benezet - 13 total games (joined in July). 

Moor - 18 total games

Chapman - 18 total games

Morgan - 13 total games

Telfer - 1 game

No Champions League this spring but will be playing in the Leagues Cup in the summer so there is lot of opportunity for some of the new  players and some fringe players such as Shaf, Okello etc.

• 4 months later...

Another Canadian star in the making that I really like especially his hair. Haven't seen a hairstyle like that since Valderrama of Colombia LOL. The fact that he is so young being 17 about to be 18, we truly do not know what his ceiling is as far as potential. Do I think he has potential to be another future star for Canada? Yes I do. I just hope that when the MLS does come back after this coronavirus pandemic, that Jayden can truly realize his potential with TFC.

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Another Canadian star in the making that I really like especially his hair. Haven't seen a hairstyle like that since Valderrama of Colombia LOL. The fact that he is so young being 17 about to be 18, we truly do not know what his ceiling is as far as potential. Do I think he has potential to be another future star for Canada? Yes I do. I just hope that when the MLS does come back after this coronavirus pandemic, that Jayden can truly realize his potential with TFC.

k

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

I would be surprised if we see him again this year.  Maybe in the Voyageurs Cup games, but I highly doubt during any MLS games.

I would bet serious money we will see him again in MLS, unless he suffers an injury or something. The 5 sub rule will remain in place and TFC would be absolutely foolish not to give this guy more opportunities. I would be shocked if he is limited to Voyageurs Cup. He is going to force his way into more game time just with his talent on the ball. I am calling it, he'll play more in MLS this season (if we have a season). This guy has scary potential.

Edited by Obinna

25 minutes ago, Kent said:

I thought he had one great move along the sideline, but otherwise a quiet game. I am not so sure TFC was avoiding passing to him (maybe a little), I think he wasn’t moving a lot off the ball in order to receive passes. That’s something for him to work on.

He's going to be crazy good when he learns to play within the team. TFC struggled all game, but he still gave a good account of himself in my opinion. 

One thing I was impressed with was his tenacity to win duals. You don't always see that sort of hustle from players with his profile. 

Remember, he is 17 years old. In a knock out game, where his team struggled, he was able to keep up and show he belongs. He was mostly quiet because he never had the ball, but the few times he did he looked bright. I never once found myself thinking the level was too high for him. That is a good sign considering he is 17.

Edited by Obinna

No knock on him.  He was a bright spot for me in an otherwise very disappointing Toronto team. I thought Laryea was another one of the better performers.  

Overall one of the worst games I've seen from Toronto in a while.  Bradley, Delgado, De Leon, Piatti were all terrible.  Bradley looked exhausted.  Terrible man management by Vanney the entire tournament if you ask me.

If Toronto is going to play like that I would rather see a bunch of young and inexperienced Canadians start.  Fraser & Okello couldn't have been any worse than Bradley and Delgado were last night.

I didn’t think he showed much at all. His movement was poor and he wasted essentially a breakaway opportunity.

sure it was his first professional start and he’s 17 and the entire squad essentially stunk- but no need to hype the performance up for something it wasnt

Edited by Floortom

40 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would bet serious money we will see him again in MLS, unless he suffers an injury or something. The 5 sub rule will remain in place and TFC would be absolutely foolish not to give this guy more opportunities. I would be shocked if he is limited to Voyageurs Cup. He is going to force his way into more game time just with his talent on the ball. I am calling it, he'll play more in MLS this season (if we have a season). This guy has scary potential.

If he does then there will be a beer (or whatever you'd like) waiting for you at the next Canada game that people are allowed to attend.

He was always showing for the ball in the middle areas, not threatening to run in behind. That type of player is valuable, but TFC had him, Pozuelo, Piatti, and Bradley all congesting each other times (even De Leon, although he began running the channels more as the game wore on). I don't think it was so much that TFC were outrightly avoiding him, but I do think his style of play didn't suit the game.

He has that it factor about him when he has the ball, really hope to see more of him.

Looked very nervous to start the game. Starting to get into the rhythm later on. Some decent defensive work too.

It's just a shame he made his debut with the entire team playing the way they did. It was going to be rough with how much pressure was put on them and how poor everybody was with the ball last night.

Edited by Colliedor

Did anyone else notice, right after halftime Nelsen was running around, getting stuck in, giving away a couple fouls etc.  I thought to myself, he was going to get a yellow if he doesnt watch out.  And on the broadcast caldwell was saying that Vanney prob gave them stick over not being aggressive enough.  It sure seemed like Nelsen, Deleon and maybe Lareya were the only ones that listened and tried to inject some tempo/grit into the play until subs, particularly Jozy came on.  It was a tough spot for the kid, not having a striker to work with and the midfield in some sort of bubble induced coma.  Hard to say if anyone else could have salvaged that mess but SHaffelbourg did hit Jozy with a sweet long pass to set up the lone goal.