Tajon Buchanan

nolando

Take a look at the results.  Both the MLS Players and Clubs voted Tajon as the Young Player of the Year.  The Media overwhelmingly voted Pepi which brought him above Tajon.  Absolute embarassment and I hope the MLS realizes it that they players and staff quite clearly chose another player.

See Below:  Far Right with no Title is obviously the combined voting percentages.  This frustrates me so much that I think I am going to flood their social media posts with comments of disgust and siappointment.

Players
Players
Clubs
Media 
Pepi, Ricardo (DAL)
22.90%
36.40%
59.10%
39.47%
Buchanan, Tajon (NE)
31.30%
42.40%
19.70%
31.13%
Araujo, Julian (LA)
3.10%
3.00%
3.40%
3.17%
Dike, Daryl (ORL)
3.60%
3.00%
1.00%
2.53%
Barco, Ezequiel (ATL)
3.60%
0.00%
3.40%
2.33%
Edited by Corazon

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

Certainly seems like some collusion went down with the media, or they weren't very educated and went off recent USMNT results.

Case in point:

Daryl Dike had 10 goals in 18 matches and got 1% of the media vote

Pepi had 13 in 31 and got 59.10% of the media vote.

I think the media heavily weighted Pepi's age and experience...essentially an 18 year old rookie which was impressive.

Right now Dike and Buchanan are both more impactful than Pepi IMO

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I think the media heavily weighted Pepi's age and experience...essentially an 18 year old rookie which was impressive.

No doubt. But when the award is for "young player of the year", in which there is already a qualifier to be eligible it's ridiculous to give extra points for someone because they're even younger. 

40 minutes ago, Floortom said:

My gut tells me they weighted his recent national team performances

Trust me, I’ve already waved the flag on Reddit…

You know what responses I’m getting….

”Pepi is 4 years younger, “

Me - there’s an age bracket for the award, I didn’t know it was the best youngest player gets it or the Rookie of the Year. 

”He was on a worse team”

Me - Shouldn’t being a massive contributor on SS record breaking team be weighted more? Even the fact that Bruce had him at RB to start? 

The fans which is also the media are just blind patriots. 

Oh how I wish that someday we’ll rid ourselves of the American soccer system. 

What bothers me the most is that amongst the 5 finalists, there is very little difference between all 5 players votes across all 3 voting segments.  Except for two numbers.  Media voting for Pepi significantly higher and Media voting for Tajon significantly lower.  If that doesn't tell you something.

Tajon had a +11.6% higher vote over Pepi as voted by the players.

Tajon has a +6% higher vote over Pepi as voted by the clubs.

Then, suddenly Tajon has a -29.4% lower vote as voted by the Media.

Make that make sense.

Hopefully fuel added to the fire for Tajon vs USA in January.  Would be sweet to beat them with Tajon scoring a couple goals.

Edited by Corazon

8 minutes ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

We should organize awarding Tajon a Best Young Player award before kickoff on Jan 30. I'm actually so mad the journalist swayed this vote so badly. they obviously have no business having any sort of say in this.

Tajon will have his opportunity to stick it to the US media in Jan when we play the US and his teammates will be right behind him. Not that we need motivation but...

1 minute ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Lots of hype for this kid--i.e. Peppi. Hope he ain't another Adu. (I mean, he won't be, but the media hype is a bit silly. He did jack all vs. Jamaica the other day.)

Favorite American player: Weah.  All the rest: Meh.

The kids good. Can't take away what he did in his first year as an 18yo...he'll be out of MLS soon. 
But nevertheless he wasn't better than Tajon this year. 

i would be curious to know who are the media members who got to vote.  Was there an equal amount from each city that has an MLS club?   Assuming it was an equal number of voting members for each club and we know :

• Of the 27 teams, there are 3 in Canada. that's 11%
  • Assuming New England / Boston media voted for TB, then 4/27=15%
  • TB got 19.7% of the media vote

Yes, that is very much "eye-brow raising" when you see something like 98-99% of the media across the US didn't vote for TB.    You will never see that kind unanimity in any kind of vote in anything.  Not even in the Soviet Union.  its does raise the specter of collusion.   

Edited by Free kick