Tajon Buchanan

nolando

29 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm definitely NOT in favour of the Super League and was pretty angry that Liverpool were in on the scheme. However, I do believe that quite a few clubs in England, including West Ham, need a strong reality check about where it is from which their money comes. It was galling to me to listen to the self-serving cunts in charge of West Ham, Aston Villa, Norwich, and Brighton trying to use the early-stages of the pandemic as cover in trying to insulate themselves from the risk of relegation. Their supporters went along for the ride, frankly embarrassing themselves with some of the shit they came out with. Without the world-wide appeal of Liverpool, Man Utd, and Arsenal, those clubs wouldn't be much further ahead then they were in the '80s. A little bit more gratitude wouldn't be out of place.

The owners at West Ham are certainly aware of where their money comes from and Baroness Brady does not speak for most of us. 

And I know lots of West Ham fans that wish to go back to the 80s.  So why would they be grateful for Sky changing the football landscape? 

I myself, am a bit more sanguine about it all.  You can't turn back time but you can enjoy the hallmarks of history and vestiges of a more local, romance of the cups football. And yet on the other hand, you have play the game based on the current rules of the game, which is more and more about money. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

5 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The owners at West Ham are certainly aware of where their money comes from and Baroness Brady does not speak for most of us. 

And I know lots of West Ham fans that wish to go back to the 80s.  So why would they be grateful for Sky changing the football landscape? 

I myself, am a bit more sanguine about it all.  You can't turn back time but you can enjoy the hallmarks of history and vestiges of a more local, romance of the cups football. And yet on the other hand, you have play the game based on the current rules of the game, which is more and more about money. 

And how's that going for West Ham this season ;)

24 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

As with most things in life, enjoy the good times while they are good. 

In the end the FA Cup is as close as you need to the old ways of football. You didn't see poorer clubs winning more or going so much deeper in 1924 or 1963.

As for a league, teams have to dig deep, hope for a bit of luck all around. Otherwise, it's as you say. 

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And how's that going for West Ham this season ;)

On the field things are great (after 2 matches) but still a shambles off the field. It’s been 11 years since Gold and Sullivan bought the club along with £100 million of debt. With all of the premier league money and selling their only tangible asset (Upton Park) for £40 million (only for the buyer to resell it a few days after for £80 million), the club still has £100 million of debt and no home. And let’s not forget the loan Gold and Sullivan provided to the club and collect £3 million a year interest on. I can’t see the ‘club’ paying off that debt anytime soon. 

Davies (Bayern Munich). Is grouped with Barcelona, Benfica, Dynamo Kiev

JD (Lille).  Is grouped with Sevilla, Salzburg, Wolfsburg

Hutch/Larin (Besiktas).  Is grouped with Ajax,  Dortmund, Sporting

TB (Brugge).  Is grouped with Man city, PSG, Leipzig

PS.:  i wonder is TB can still ask for refund!  

Edited by Free kick

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Group A Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain, RB Leipzig and Club Brugge.

Ooof.

Yes.  TB and his team, have no chance. But we kind of knew that going in.  Although, there would have been a glimmer of hope had they landed in the Group with Lille.

Edited by Free kick

30 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Davies (Bayern Munich). Is grouped with Barcelona, Benfica, Dynamo Kiev

JD (Lille).  Is grouped with Sevilla, Salzburg, Wolfsburg

Hutch/Larin (Besiktas).  Is grouped with Ajax,  Dortmund, Sporting

TB (Brugge).  Is grouped with Man city, PSG, Leipzig

Imagine posting this 5 years ago?  Would have been sent to the insane asylum.

Other than Brugge, those are pretty good draws.  The reality is that you are always going to face some quality competition at this level, but Bayern, Lille and Besiktas all got relatively good groups.  Assuming Bayern can get out of that one fairly comfortably, the focus is probably on Lille and Besiktas - but both can get out if they play really well.  

Brugge are fucked though.  

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Floortom said:

Tajon also had a great strike that was nicely saved and a nice set-up for a Gil strike that needed a difficult save to keep out.

it’s almost like he gets better on a weekly basis at this point.

I like the Brugge move enough but shame he’s not moving to a better league. Really think he’s ready for it 

Yeah, we're all in the same boat with regards to line of thinking, it's a good move in a decent league that has been known to export talent successfully in recent years but you kinda just feel he could have skipped this particular step.