Tajon Buchanan

nolando

Heard a long interview with Carles Gil his NE teammate, yesterday on Radio Marca. Articulate guy. Mentioned Tajon and others at the start, discussed his career (Depor, Aston Villa) then when asked about MLS young stars named Tajon and got into it. Said 18 months ago all you could see was flashes and that his improvement was exponential, literally that he was already better this Monday than he was last Friday. Referred to his speed and strength but also ambition. Said he wouldn't last long at Bruges before transferring up. 

He was also of the opinion Matt Turner deserved a shot in Europe. 

54 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I encourage anyone to watch this team, lots of cool players. You'll be able to say you watched De Ketelaere before he became a world class super star. Anyone who suffered through David at Lille would be treating themselves.

I still maintain that he can take minutes away from Sowah at right wing who I thought was ineffective again today. I know Sowah was their record signing, and I do think he can be useful, but that's where I think they'll want Buchanan. Right now Ignace van der Brempt is the replacement for Sowah, though apparently he's a right back by trade. Buchanan will obviously spell Lang at left wing too when he cannot play. I also wonder if they'll use him as a right back when chasing the match as a replacement for Mata.

Lang will probably be gone in the next transfer window anyways. 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

First time watching Tajon live, this kid is slick. Really quick and shifty moves. Impressive stuff. So much so that I don’t mind him burning through my teams D.

Were you at the Montreal Impact vs New England Revolution match at the Stade Olympique February 29th 2020? It was couple weeks before COVID shut everything down. Montreal's first and last home MLS match of 2020 with a home crowd.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

6 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Were you at the Montreal Impact vs New England Revolution match at the Stade Olympique February 29th 2020? It was couple weeks before COVID shut everything down. Montreal's first and last home MLS match of 2020 with a home crowd.

I remember he missed an absolute sitter that match. It was actually easier to score than miss. Amazing the strides he took and continues to take. 

23 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Holy crap, yes, you're right!  I was at that one as well! 

However, like you said, I also had no idea who he was at that point.  I only noticed his skill at the next Impact v Revs game on TV, and found out weeks later that he was Canadian on here.

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

Holy crap, yes, you're right!  I was at that one as well! 

However, like you said, I also had no idea who he was at that point.  I only noticed his skill at the next Impact v Revs game on TV, and found out weeks later that he was Canadian on here.

He also played at Saputo May 18th 2019.

Don't remember that match, I wasn't there and didn't watch it. A month before the 2019 Gold Cup.

On 9/28/2021 at 5:24 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Heard a long interview with Carles Gil his NE teammate, yesterday on Radio Marca. Articulate guy. Mentioned Tajon and others at the start, discussed his career (Depor, Aston Villa) then when asked about MLS young stars named Tajon and got into it. Said 18 months ago all you could see was flashes and that his improvement was exponential, literally that he was already better this Monday than he was last Friday. Referred to his speed and strength but also ambition. Said he wouldn't last long at Bruges before transferring up. 

He was also of the opinion Matt Turner deserved a shot in Europe. 

He is the perfect example of someone who always wants to get better and is totally committed to putting in the hard work to achieve it. His move to Bruges is an example of that. He will certainly move on up as far as he wants, this is an exciting kid, enjoy it , take it all in. 

Seriously, if I were a team in a major league in Europe I'd make an offer to Bruges right away, give them double what they paid. I don't see how the guy does not have that value. 

Same could be said for Eustaquio, who all the Mexican pundits yesterday referred to as a major talent, none were surprised and all impressed by what he puts out. But certainly Tajon is going cheap to Bruges.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Seriously, if I were a team in a major league in Europe I'd make an offer to Bruges right away, give them double what they paid. I don't see how the guy does not have that value. 

Same could be said for Eustaquio, who all the Mexican pundits yesterday referred to as a major talent, none were surprised and all impressed by what he puts out. But certainly Tajon is going cheap to Bruges.

Shows you how much Canadians are undervalued when Tajon and Stephen are with Bruges and Pacos. If they were America they would both be in top 4 leagues.

making Qatar will go a long way in changing that 

Edited by Floortom

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was thinking the same at the end of the match. I thought Brugge must be rubbing their hands in glee

13 hours ago, Floortom said:

Shows you how much Canadians are undervalued when Tajon and Stephen are with Bruges and Pacos. If they were America they would both be in top 4 leagues.

I totally agree, and of course it bothers me quite a bit. I can think of about 4-5 teams in La Liga where Eustaquio would fit nicely. I think we are just going to have to overachieve for the undervalued players to get their due.

5 hours ago, Floortom said:

Absolutely, Tajon is a can’t miss talent, if not now, it would be long before he moves up again. Looking down south you have to think the interest in Ricardo Peppi is exploding , some of the Canadian players can’t be too far behind especially as they get exposure from this cycle. 

3 hours ago, Cblake said:

Absolutely, Tajon is a can’t miss talent, if not now, it would be long before he moves up again. Looking down south you have to think the interest in Ricardo Peppi is exploding , some of the Canadian players can’t be too far behind especially as they get exposure from this cycle. 

Yup, it is a virtuous cycle.  And MLS has played a huge role here, no doubt about it. The CPL and our improving academies will only help, but if the world wakes up to the fact that the other Nord Americanos can ball too, then we should start to see more young Canadians heading overseas before too long. (And maybe we'll see some Canadians who are already over there commit to Canada)

7 hours ago, An Observer said:

I was thinking the same at the end of the match. I thought Brugge must be rubbing their hands in glee

Yes.  The thing that gets me is that there was initially talk of interest from Brugge, Augsburg, and  a few others that i forgot.  But there was also mention of Atalanta.   If what they say in this video about their tactics is correct,  then i cannot think of more perfect fit TB.   They basically describe the kind of player he is.  Dont know why that didnt pan out.

Edited by Free kick

22 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I totally agree, and of course it bothers me quite a bit. I can think of about 4-5 teams in La Liga where Eustaquio would fit nicely. I think we are just going to have to overachieve for the undervalued players to get their due.

Purely from our NT perspective, it doesn't bother me at all, tbh, at least right now.  It just gives us that element of being underrated when we are playing, even still in our own region.  It also keeps a chip on an individual player's shoulder, makes him even hungrier to stick it to an opponent, especially a big fish.  We are still an under-the-radar entity, but that is quickly changing wbroad.

My biggest concern going forward with guys like Buchanon and Davies is the potential for a foul festival and serious injuries.  Heck, some of the Calgary Stampede-calibre steer wrestling I watched against Davies in Vancouver during MLS was disgusting and only ended up with a yellow.  I fear more organized and systematic fouling taking place in these next stretch of matches.

I agree that Tajon could have probably swung a little higher with this move, but he’ll be playing with some great young talent like DeKetelaere and Lang, and the late bloomer Vanaken, plus lots of established pros.

Club Brugge has become one of the best middle-man franchises (like Dortmund and Ajax) in Europe so let’s not be too disappointed with this move yet.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Even though David was off key on Thursday, I still like that trident of Buchanon, David, and Davies up top.  That would be a spicy meatball to play against for any elite NT.

Mexico had to respect that speed. I couldn't believe how far back they were sitting at times. 

4 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

I agree that Tajon could have probably swung a little higher with this move, but he’ll be playing with some great young talent like DeKetelaere and Lang, and the late bloomer Vanaken, plus lots of established pros.

Club Brugge has become one of the best middle-man franchises (like Dortmund and Ajax) in Europe so let’s not be too disappointed with this move yet.

Club Brugge have been impressive so far in CL. I'm looking forward to seeing Tajon play with a group of very talented young players on that team