Gold Cup 2019

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Curaçao are the best story of the Gold Cup so far!

Yeah, people have been saying don't sleep on Curaçao. They were right!

Any team with half of it's squad playing professional football in the top two tiers of Dutch football is going to be respectable in concacaf. 

By the way, maybe it's the fact Canada are killing it, but this has to be one of the best Gold Cups thus far:

- Curaçao making the knockout round

- Martinique fighting back against Mexico for a 3-2 loss

- Honduras failing to get out from their group, then pummeling their rivals El Salvador to send them out too.

- Bermuda gets their first win and Guyana their first point.

- The lack of draws and a plethora of goals

- no VAR = a free-flowing competition = not getting itself all tied into knots like the Copa America.

Honestly, the only blemish is the Cuba situation, but that transcends the realm of football. It's a geo-political problem  - and they did qualify fair and square. It is what it is.

@Canadian Soccer Fan I disagree about the 8 team tournament. 16 is clean and entertaining. There were some massive scorelines, but that was mostly down to Cuba and their situation is unique. T&T had a big loss too, which shows it can happen to the traditional "hex" teams as well.

Victor should be proud. I think his vision is coming to life. I think too many countries for a long time have not been giving the opportunity to compete on an even playing field for variuos reasons. Canada included

Cuba is unique because the real story will be when the smoke clears is Canada is for real. Our team is damn good. I like our chances against the US, we'll give Mexico a hell of a game and no other team in Concacaf can touch us right now. That's genuinely how I feel

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

- no VAR = a free-flowing competition = not getting itself all tied into knots like the Copa America.

Wait for the knock-out rounds before celebrating a free-flowing game with no VAR.  This is CONCACAF, there will be drama and phantom calls.

Edited by costarg

I’d much rather have a 16 team tournament then have a 12 teams tournament with 3rd place teams advancing. 8 teams would be too small imo

First post in years. I had to set up a new account.

Anyway, not taking Haiti too lightly, but they just moved the kickoff for the semi-final in Phoenix from 7:30 PM to 7:00 PM local time. This helps Canada very slightly. Two straight games starting at 7:00 PM local time. Mexico have been playing the second games of the double-headers and will need to adjust to playing a few hours earlier than they've gotten used to. Also better for east coast fans who don't want to be up too late.

The bigger advantage is that hopefully by midnight on Saturday, the Canadian players will be in their Houston hotel rooms ready to go to sleep. The Mexican or Costa Rican teams will likely still be in the stadium. With a short turnaround until the semi-finals, every advantage helps.

Edited by Bizzo Steve

26 minutes ago, costarg said:

Wait for the knock-out rounds before celebrating a free-flowing game with no VAR.  This is CONCACAF, there will be drama and phantom calls.

Giving var to concacaf refs is like giving your child a nail gun. Just be safe and give them the hammer instead...they can do a lot less damage with it.

Edited by Obinna

5 hours ago, Bizzo Steve said:

The bigger advantage is that hopefully by midnight on Saturday, the Canadian players will be in their Houston hotel rooms ready to go to sleep. The Mexican or Costa Rican teams will likely still be in the stadium. With a short turnaround until the semi-finals, every advantage helps.

Thanks for this, HUGE advantage...

I wrote a huge post about recovery and the potential to travel post game the same night...letting the players waking up in Houston and doing their re-gen day there, not having to include travel in it and even mentally that might annoy the Mexican players.  

I decided to remove most of it, my post started getting so in depth lol.... If they do in fact travel post game, I'll post my opinions on the "sports science" benefits at that time. 

In this situation both post game or next day travel work.

It will be interesting what they decided to do, (post game to Houston or travel next day), regardless it's a HUGE advantage in my eyes playing earlier.

Edited by apbsmith

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

@apbsmith the confederation arranged travel for the two teams who win Saturday, so there is no opportunity to really get a meaningful leg up on the next opponent travel-wise.  

Aaaahhh makes sense, thanks.

The boys watch the game from the hotel between ice baths. 

Herdman and the crew watch from the press box.

Edited by apbsmith

On 6/27/2019 at 12:21 PM, Bertuzzi44 said:

Curaçao are the best story of the Gold Cup so far!

Normally yes but given how they played, they're lucky to be in the quarters. They should have been blown out by Honduras & Jamaica. Their defending in the first half in both matches was beyond shambolic - worse than Cuba vs Canada. At least GK kept them in the Honduras match but gots of benefit from the woodwork.

So unless the US blows their chances they will get without trying too much, it will be an easy win.

On 6/27/2019 at 11:17 AM, apbsmith said:

Well in this interview, he is def not taking Haiti lightly. He hit some key points I also agree with in this match. 

If you have 5 mins, worth the watch: 

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1559038531755

Good to see. It was directly after the Mexico game where he started talking about the Semi-finals. So I'm glad to see he's changed his tune a bit. 

Edited by Hawkguy

https://www.espn.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/26967681/how-mexico-soccer-team-conquered-hearts-wallets-ameri

Really amazing and unprecedented in the world of sports and global football. I really hope to upset the Concacaf power structure but based on these figures the deck will be stacked against us in order to do so. I really hope the general public really starts to get behind our team because there is power in numbers and these things matter in order for Canada to break thru

Still gotta take care of business today.. no jinx

Edited by SpursFlu

33 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

https://www.espn.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/26967681/how-mexico-soccer-team-conquered-hearts-wallets-ameri

Really amazing and unprecedented in the world of sports and global football. I really hope to upset the Concacaf power structure but based on these figures the deck will be stacked against us in order to do so. I really hope the general public really starts to get behind our team because there is power in numbers and these things matter in order for Canada to break thru

Still gotta take care of business today.. no jinx

It's crazy isn't it, CONCACAF doesn't need to worry, Chicago will still sell out if USA make it and Mexico don't. 

17 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Dont look now but costa rica mexico 1-1 in the 85th. 

Not sure if it would make tn even worse if costa rica upsets mexico. 

Legit, MAX PAIN an exhausted Mexico C team with a suspended manager or an exhausted Costa Rica team that we "scouted like crazy".

Edited by apbsmith