Gold Cup 2019

10 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

That's what I'm trying to say.. I know Costa Rica have had a good run but this team sucks. They're old and i can't  see a single decent young talent. I can't name 1

Allan Cruz, I think his name is, is suppose to be decent, but I didn't notice him out there.

I think the striker George, who came on in the second half, plays in Scandinavia with James. He's scored goals in Denmark (3 in 10), but he's been there since 2018, so perhaps it's a Larin situation (Cyle has 6 league goals in 15).

That said, he was on the bench behind 37 year old Saborio, so they clearly don't trust him. It was his miss at the end by the way.

Meanwhile, we have David, Davies and even Millar is a brighter prospect than they'd have. This doesn't even take Tabla into account, who would have been selected if not for his club situation.

16 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Would love more analysis from those who watched this match. Bring it on.

Are we witnessing the rise of Caribbean football? If so, I don’t mind it one bit. The Caribbean nations tend to be fast and physical but mostly clean in their play and they don’t flop around like the Central Americans.  I think it is brilliant for the region.

So, what is our best line up vs. Haiti? 3 at the back, with Davies and Hoillet in the midfield flanking Hutch, Arfield and one of Osorio/Kaye. Cava and David up front. Clog the midfield, don’t give them room on the flanks, and load us up where we are strongest. This way we get Davies’ pace going both ways, which we will need against a speedy Haitian side

Just my observations:

Haiti play fast and rely on their wings for most of the offense, they have legs and speed but they didn't wow me with their finesse or foot work.

Costa Rica looked really slow and tired by the end of the game and haiti were playing a gear higher. they could create trouble because they liked getting the ball in the box then seeing where the chips fell. considering some of our organization this could prove a problem.

their defense and keeper doesn't seem to be especially great. Costa Rica had a few chances at the end to put one back that they screwed up.

If i had to guess I think the Canada game will be extremely fast and kinda wild.

2 minutes ago, nolando said:

I watched most of it and thought Costa Rica still has very effective passing, loads of clean and dangerous diagonal balls.

I also didn't think Haiti looked all that incredible. Quite disorganized like a stereotypical Carribean team relying on individual moments of brilliance, of which there were quite a few.

Totally agree with this take. This is why I prefer Haiti. Costa Rica can move the ball well and let's face it, they have more experience than us in knockouts. It is the experience in particular that was worrisome to me, because it wasn't a particular player or players. It's more about their collective.

Hoping for them to knock Mexico out now, though I would be absolutely shocked to see Mexico lose to this particular Costa Rica. Stranger things have happened though..

1 minute ago, lazlo_80 said:

Just my observations:

Haiti play fast and rely on their wings for most of the offense, they have legs and speed but they didn't wow me with their finesse or foot work.

Costa Rica looked really slow and tired by the end of the game and haiti were playing a gear higher. they could create trouble because they liked getting the ball in the box then seeing where the chips fell. considering some of our organization this could prove a problem.

their defense and keeper doesn't seem to be especially great. Costa Rica had a few chances at the end to put one back that they screwed up.

If i had to guess I think the Canada game will be extremely fast and kinda wild.

Agreed. Haiti found joy out wide. I don't think that happens against Alphonso Davies and whoever plays on the other side, whether it's ZBG or Godinho. The latter concerns me a bit, but I wouldn't be afraid to start him.

I think we can beat them in the middle. That is the great thing about this Canada team. Arfield, Hutchison, Piette, Osorio, Kaye bring a combination of athleticism, composure and passing to play through any press. If we have trouble against Haiti out wide, we may still be able to cut them open through the center.

Not that it will be easy though. Haiti will make us work for everything and they'll feel a real opportunity awaits them. Both of these teams battled for the right to avoid Mexico and play us.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agreed. Haiti found joy out wide. I don't think that happens against Alphonso Davies and whoever plays on the other side, whether it's ZBG or Godinho. The latter concerns me a bit, but I wouldn't be afraid to start him.

I think we can beat them in the middle. That is the great thing about this Canada team. Arfield, Hutchison, Piette, Osorio, Kaye bring a combination of athleticism, composure and passing to play through any press. If we have trouble against Haiti out wide, we may still be able to cut them open through the center.

Not that it will be easy though. Haiti will make us work for everything and they'll feel a real opportunity awaits them. Both of these teams battled for the right to avoid Mexico and play us.

Agree with all this. having fast outside backs will neutralize a big part of their game. Very curious to see if with our strength and composure in the middle we decide to slow the game down or enter into a track meet with them.

Haiti is just as happy to be facing us as we are to be facing them.  We need to be prepared and ready to put them away clinically. 

This is even more of a trap than the Jamaica game in 2017.  Houston heat and a physical team.  They are an average level of a USL team so it could get scrappy.

Im encouraged that we have had success against Caribbean sides exclusively in the past year.  Nervous but confident that this group is different and can put this team to bed.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

So Cantave will get his shot to prove a point. I think he was expecting to be called to Herdmans 1st camp in Spain or at least hoped.  Immediately after he took the Haiti call for the Argentina friendly. Of course his father is Haitian living in France so his Canada tie isn't as strong as Miki's.

He's played the last 2 matches off the bench. How was he last night? He's still in Spanish 4th tier unless he just changed. 

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Haiti is just as happy to be facing us as we are to be facing them.  We need to be prepared and ready to put them away clinically. 

This is even more of a trap than the Jamaica game in 2017.  Houston heat and a physical team.  They are an average level of a USL team so it could get scrappy.

Im encouraged that we have had success against Caribbean sides exclusively in the past year.  Nervous but confident that this group is different and can put this team to bed.  

The game is indoors at NRG with the roof closed and AC on. Heat wont be a factor. 

Edited by king1010

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So Cantave will get his shot to prove a point. I think he was expecting to be called to Herdmans 1st camp in Spain or at least hoped.  Immediately after he took the Haiti call for the Argentina friendly. Of course his father is Haitian living in France so his Canada tie isn't as strong as Miki's.

He's played the last 2 matches off the bench. How was he last night? He's still in Spanish 4th tier unless he just changed. 

He was excellent. Came on in the second and played on the right wing. He has moves. Very tricky. 

16 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

He was excellent. Came on in the second and played on the right wing. He has moves. Very tricky. 

He's an either side wing. He had been in 3rd tier half a year, so I think that was good enough to warrant a look from Herdman. 

Still, I think we have talent in those areas, that we won't miss him, but considering he is Ottawa born, was with our youth teams, and until not long ago was interested in Canada, it is too bad to lose him. 

Now he has to get a better club situation (his side played promotion playoff to 3rd tier but fell out), and not have a good game at all vs. Canada.

This Haitian team is dangerous. I hope all the optimism is not misguided....Not as clinical and organized as the more established teams but with daunting speed and power. We are not going to outrun  them on attack , so while I have never advocated for Phonzie at LB that's where I would play him with ZBG at RB. Godinho would get absolutely torched. Regardless of the score we are going to leave the pitch with some lumps and bruises. Need to keep cool and keep the ball

8 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Would love more analysis from those who watched this match. Bring it on.

Are we witnessing the rise of Caribbean football? If so, I don’t mind it one bit. The Caribbean nations tend to be fast and physical but mostly clean in their play and they don’t flop around like the Central Americans.  I think it is brilliant for the region.

So, what is our best line up vs. Haiti? 3 at the back, with Davies and Hoillet in the midfield flanking Hutch, Arfield and one of Osorio/Kaye. Cava and David up front. Clog the midfield, don’t give them room on the flanks, and load us up where we are strongest. This way we get Davies’ pace going both ways, which we will need against a speedy Haitian side

This is what we may go with:

-------------------Borjan-----------------

ZBG----Henry--Cornelius---Davies

----------------Hutchinson---------------

------------Arfield-----Osorio------------

David---------Cavallini-----Hoilett

Keep Kaye on the bench and only use him if necessary, perhaps for Osorio.

Bring on Morgan and push Davies into attack if Hoilett fades.

Piette for Hutchinson if he tires, though he should be fine with the break he's been given.

I would be hesitant to use Teibert in this match. He's quick over short distances, but is going to lose out to the Haitians in a track meet, guaranteed. If he's used at all, it can't be at left back. His lack of pace will get exposed.

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not just for the notoriety either - I don’t want to repeatedly hear after the next round “sure David and Cav got two each, but it was just Haiti...”  Getting tired of the narrative. 

I don't care about notoriety or the narrative: if we get to semis it matters little to me.

So @Razcal, @king1010, @SkuseisLoose, @Hawkguy did we get the easier opponent?

Last nights result was an upset according to the odds makers and in the end we get what I believe is the more difficult of the two possible scenarios. In my opinion a win against Mexico would have served us better but hindsight is 20/20!

The bottom line is anything but a win at this stage no matter who the opponent is a disappointment!

Was just looking at the knockout bracket and it doesn't seem to make sense.  If Canada was to beat Haiti, they would then likely face Mexico in the semis.  Why are all of the A and B pool teams on the same side of the bracket?  In theory you should have these teams on opposite sides in case you somehow started with a situation where the top 2 teams were in the same pool.

I'm assuming that the answer to this is "Welcome to CONCACAF."

2 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Was just looking at the knockout bracket and it doesn't seem to make sense.  If Canada was to beat Haiti, they would then likely face Mexico in the semis.  Why are all of the A and B pool teams on the same side of the bracket?  In theory you should have these teams on opposite sides in case you somehow started with a situation where the top 2 teams were in the same pool.

It’s set up that way to maximize a chance at a US - Mexico finals. That’s the money maker 

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

It’s set up that way to maximize a chance at a US - Mexico finals. That’s the money maker 

Makes sense.  Even if the US or Mexico screw up and lose a game in pool play, they still don't end up on the same side of the bracket.  Effectively both of these teams need to screw up twice to not make the final.

Concacaf is extremely dependent on revenue from the Gold Cup to subsidise all of the other tournaments. U20, U17 and women's qualifying tournaments all run at a loss. Some federations/teams travel to these tournaments has to be completely subsidised by Concacaf. Not to mention the few decent programs Concacaf now in place to raise the standard of football in the Caribbean. 

All this is why we have the Gold Cup every 2 years and why it's fixed for a US-Mex final. Gate and tv ad money for that game alone is astronomical.

Everything has a price. This is the price we pay.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

This is what we may go with:

-------------------Borjan-----------------

ZBG----Henry--Cornelius---Davies

----------------Hutchinson---------------

------------Arfield-----Osorio------------

David---------Cavallini-----Hoilett

Keep Kaye on the bench and only use him if necessary, perhaps for Osorio.

Bring on Morgan and push Davies into attack if Hoilett fades.

Piette for Hutchinson if he tires, though he should be fine with the break he's been given.

I would be hesitant to use Teibert in this match. He's quick over short distances, but is going to lose out to the Haitians in a track meet, guaranteed. If he's used at all, it can't be at left back. His lack of pace will get exposed.

This should be Re-Posted in Canada vs Haiti thread, it's my thoughts exactly as well. 

30 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

You correctly an$wered the question yourself. USA vs Mexico final. 

With the game in Chicago only one of USA or Mexico need to make it for it to be a $ell out.

The fixing of the bracket to try and ensure a Mexico/US final was why I was hoping we'd be put into Group C or D, something on the US side of the draw. If we'd been on that side of the bracket, I think we would have really given the US a run for their money (or whoever emerged from that side in their semi-final) and would have had a terrific chance of making the final. We still might have a chance on our side of course, depending on what happens (wouldn't we love a path to the final that went Haiti in the QF and Costa Rica in the SF).

The other nice thing to having been on the Group C/D side is that the earning potential for FIFA ranking points would have been much greater, as no one had a non-FIFA country in their group on that side (Martinique) and you're not potentially playing Mexico twice. Oh well, things are working out nicely so far for us on the side we're on, so let's see how things go on Saturday.

I'm getting excited for the knockout rounds already. I've never been to one of the V's viewing parties, so Saturday might be the time to attend my first Toronto one. 😃

Edited by jtpc