Gold Cup 2019

Surprised they pulled it off but not surprised with the squad Costa Rica currently has.  Navas not in the team and hes saved their ass for years.  But many of their recent golden generation is either retired or back playing on this side of the ocean for their final years.

Once I saw Saborio back in the Costa Rica squad, I knew their squad depth had dropped significantly.

1 minute ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I actually think Costa Rica was a better matchup for us

I am confident against either of those teams, but Haiti has never advanced past the QF and Costa Rica I think elevate their game when the stakes are raised.

Obviously they couldn't do it here, but credit goes to Haiti for that. They recognized CR couldn't deal with their pace. I think we have just enough pace to deal with them.

This is a game for Davies and ZBG at the fullback/wingback spots. Godinho has done well, but I think ZBG has a little more speed that'll help him deal with the threat we just saw.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is a game for Davies and ZBG at the fullback/wingback spots. Godinho has done well, but I think ZBG has a little more speed that'll help him deal with the threat we just saw.

ZBG born in Haiti... Assuming would be a semi-emotional experience if he gets the nod.

Born in Haiti, 

Grew up in Canada from age 2 until~12.

Lived in France part of Lyon system since 2011. 

Edited by apbsmith

35 minutes ago, red card said:

Are you referring to me - red card? You must be mistaking me for somebody else. I never was upset at Herdman's hiring. 

As you said, I do follow the women's team, so I know more than others that he would help the men's team. I have seen him at corporate events, so I know what type of impact he can have on people and organizations.

And now if read my recent posts, I'm not so happy with KHM (even before today's loss).

Yeah, sorry. I don’t remember why I got it in my head that you are Anthony Totera (aside from your handle matching his show’s name) but I have thought that for a long time. My bad!

30 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Are we going to play in an empty stadium again because Mexico is playing the late game on Saturday? They should just have the games at different venues, it is the quarter finals!

I don't think Houston has a big Haitian community, so probably yes.

That fancies us though. Haiti got a lift from their fans tonight in NJ. We don't want a large pro-haitian crowd.

The Mexican fans arriving early will probably cheer against us anyways, that's bad enough.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't think Houston has a big Haitian community, so probably yes.

That fancies us though. Haiti got a lift from their fans tonight in NJ. We don't want a large pro-haitian crowd.

The Mexican fans arriving early will probably cheer against us anyways, that's bad enough.

That game looked like a lot of fun and was basically a home game for Haiti. Played at 2 pm in an empty stadium in Texas and I bet Haiti doesn't win. 

39 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

As a Whitecaps fan I can absolutely guarantee Kendall Waston would have been red carded within 10mins against a counter team like Haiti. Waston is at his best bunkering clearing croses and such

I think we have the pace up front to make KW want to cry before long into the match.

Would love more analysis from those who watched this match. Bring it on.

Are we witnessing the rise of Caribbean football? If so, I don’t mind it one bit. The Caribbean nations tend to be fast and physical but mostly clean in their play and they don’t flop around like the Central Americans.  I think it is brilliant for the region.

So, what is our best line up vs. Haiti? 3 at the back, with Davies and Hoillet in the midfield flanking Hutch, Arfield and one of Osorio/Kaye. Cava and David up front. Clog the midfield, don’t give them room on the flanks, and load us up where we are strongest. This way we get Davies’ pace going both ways, which we will need against a speedy Haitian side

This has the feel of a "banana peel" type of opponent but I fully expect our coaching staff to have our team well prepared and be able to put these guys away.  It may not be easy, but we should be able to do so.  Still, it's a good test against a program on the rise.

I watched most of it and thought Costa Rica still has very effective passing, loads of clean and dangerous diagonal balls.

I also didn't think Haiti looked all that incredible. Quite disorganized like a stereotypical Carribean team relying on individual moments of brilliance, of which there were quite a few.