Gold Cup 2019

Just in Time-added-on as I type.

1.  I notice that Rodriguez is wearing a Nike headpiece (Commentator called it a swim cap) but Mexico is Adidas.  I wonder what the repercussions of that will be. 

2.  Qatari referee?  Have I missed something here? 

3.  Is that Mexican Coach Martino sitting up high - not on the bench?  Was he banned or something, or does he just prefer that vantage point?

Tough not to root for Haiti on this one. 

49 minutes ago, RJB said:

3.  Is that Mexican Coach Martino sitting up high - not on the bench?  Was he banned or something, or does he just prefer that vantage point?

Either that or English actor Tom Wilkinson was hanging in the press box wearing Mexican swag 😉

(Martino was suspended).

Massive props to Haiti.  What a great tourney for them!

Unlucky for Haiti that Cantave's shot rang off the crossbar. The PK call was a bit soft but you can see why it was given from the contact.

Haiti's USL players looked far better than their MLS players IMO - Derek Etienne was quite poor and Heriveaux made no impact when he came on.

This could be the start of something bigger for Haiti, or it could be a Holger Osieck-type Gold Cup run for them. We shall see.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

This could be the start of something bigger for Haiti, or it could be a Holger Osieck-type Gold Cup run for them. We shall see.

Osieck and Canada followed up our 2000 Gold Cup won with a third in 2002. A pretty strong run for my liking. Haiti would likely be very happy with a Holger Osieck type Gold Cup run. 

Haha, yup. Our two most successful tournaments relied on luck to get out of the groups.  We had some penalty luck in 2002 too. 

Those groups of three. Come 2026 the World Cup is going to see how poor the groups of three are. Remember the last WC when a team went through on fair play? (I think it was Japan). Just wait until 2026, I can see lots of tiebreakers being used. 

25 minutes ago, RJB said:

Osieck and Canada followed up our 2000 Gold Cup won with a third in 2002. A pretty strong run for my liking. Haiti would likely be very happy with a Holger Osieck type Gold Cup run. 

To expand on my point: A lot of teams - Canada included - who have a very strong regional cup performance  sometimes crash out in their next tourney (usually WCQ). Denmark & Greece both did that when they won the Euro's (respectively) in 1992 and 2004 (Denmark of course only got into Euro1992 because the Yugoslavia as it then was broke apart into war shortly after the team qualified so they were kicked out of the tourney, which tops coin tosses and lot-drawing in my book).

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Unlucky for Haiti that Cantave's shot rang off the crossbar. The PK call was a bit soft but you can see why it was given from the contact.

Haiti's USL players looked far better than their MLS players IMO - Derek Etienne was quite poor and Heriveaux made no impact when he came on.

Probably because they are getting more minutes than the MLS guys.

Edited by Obinna

Tuned in to catch the final 20 mins... Looks like I will be up late now. 

Anyone want to give me a quick run of play? Stats showing Jamaica with 0 shots? 

Woooaaaa nvm, when I checked the score an hour ago it said 42 mins... Must have had a continuous clock on the app, guess I will get most of the game :).

Edited by apbsmith
20 mins in

Pretty disappointing performance from Jamaica in this game, they looked quite disinterested, casual and lethargic even before the weather delay. I was expecting much more from them even though they had been mediocre since their opening win at home. The tempo and excitement for this match was nowhere near any of the knockout matches in the other side of the bracket and night and day in comparison to the Haiti Mexico semi.

23 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

To expand on my point: A lot of teams - Canada included - who have a very strong regional cup performance  sometimes crash out in their next tourney (usually WCQ). Denmark & Greece both did that when they won the Euro's (respectively) in 1992 and 2004 (Denmark of course only got into Euro1992 because the Yugoslavia as it then was broke apart into war shortly after the team qualified so they were kicked out of the tourney, which tops coin tosses and lot-drawing in my book).

I accept this argument. We can throw Wales in too after euro 2016, although they still have time to turn it around. 

But I suppose it begs the questions as to what you’d rather do: win a gold cup or just qualify for a World Cup?