The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

How much longer does he stay at Bayern?  As an LB/LWB?  

Funny how one of his greatest goals scored to date was the one game when he was playing RS/RW🤣 I think the message there is that no matter where he plays, no matter what position it won't matter, because he'll be unstoppable. 

To really answer that though, wouldn't expect him to move any time before his contact in 2025, unless Bayern get an incredible deal but even then, he's not the kind of talent you just let go especially when has yet to really begin his prime. I would expect him to continue to be pushed up the field by Naggelsmann this season. Too much attacking talent to be wasted sitting back and Julien know it.

2 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Funny how one of his greatest goals scored to date was the one game when he was playing RS/RW🤣 I think the message there is that no matter where he plays, no matter what position it won't matter, because he'll be unstoppable. 

To really answer that though, wouldn't expect him to move any time before his contact in 2025, unless Bayern get an incredible deal but even then, he's not the kind of talent you just let go especially when has yet to really begin his prime. I would expect him to continue to be pushed up the field by Naggelsmann this season. Too much attacking talent to be wasted sitting back and Julien know it.

There's no reason for him to move from a footballing perspective. There's no club that's going to be significantly higher on the food chain. If Bayern keep renewing him on decent terms every 2-3 years, he could stay there until he's into his 30s.

8 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

I would expect him to continue to be pushed up the field by Naggelsmann this season. Too much attacking talent to be wasted sitting back and Julien know it.

That is the key here.  His role with Bayern needs to continue to evolve like it has with our NT.  We aren't having that debate about Davies at LB anymore, are we?  How he was playing tonight was much more of what I envisioned with him.

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

Honest question, because I don't watch as much club footy as I used to, but how close is he to being called the best player in the world?

I think it's tough to get a rep as best player in the world when you might only be the third or fourth best player on your own team. But surely people will be talking if he continues to develop.

Only 20. Unreal.

6 minutes ago, RJB said:

Honest question, because I don't watch as much club footy as I used to, but how close is he to being called the best player in the world?

Tough to say because generally only out and out attackers are in this discussion. We'll see if he ever gets a Ballon d'Or nomination.

12 minutes ago, frmr said:

Tough to say because generally only out and out attackers are in this discussion. We'll see if he ever gets a Ballon d'Or nomination.

His game is just not suited to be in that conversation as you say he is not an outright attacker who will score 30+ goals in a season, but that is not to ever take away anything from him. Enjoy him for all his has to offer as a world class player, what he did tonight still has me shaking my head. 

32 minutes ago, RJB said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/dec/21/the-100-best-male-footballers-in-the-world-2020 Gaurdian does a top 100 players every December. In 2019 I believe he made the list. Last year he made #23 (though as mentioned above, hard to get clout when he's ranked 5th best on his own team). But if you look at the list of players ahead of him there are TOP TOP talents and below him too. 

40 minutes ago, Cblake said:

His game is just not suited to be in that conversation as you say he is not an outright attacker who will score 30+ goals in a season, but that is not to ever take away anything from him. Enjoy him for all his has to offer as a world class player, what he did tonight still has me shaking my head. 

I agree and I have to say there is literally no one else in the world who scores that goal.  Maybe Kylian Mbappe on a good day has the blistering pace, silky touch and sniper finish to actually be capable of it, but he would never put in the absolutely ridiculous effort to sprint 60 yards to meet the defender and steal the ball off the touch line.  Very few could and no one would.  That was a one-of-a-kind goal by a one-of-a-kind player.

6 hours ago, RJB said:

Best LB in the world- probably.  He was a World Best XI at LB.  Best in the world- no I don’t think it’s seriously considered.

Fastest player in the world?  He was the 2nd fastest after Mbappe.

Everyone thinks he’s a world class player and that’s good enough for me.

6 hours ago, Yoginess said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/dec/21/the-100-best-male-footballers-in-the-world-2020 Gaurdian does a top 100 players every December. In 2019 I believe he made the list. Last year he made #23 (though as mentioned above, hard to get clout when he's ranked 5th best on his own team). But if you look at the list of players ahead of him there are TOP TOP talents and below him too. 

What is amazing about this list is the top five players under 25 are:  Haaland, Mbappé, Alexander-Arnold, Davies, and Sancho.

Davies is already the best male player to ever play for Canada.
He is the best in CONCACAF right now.
He is already one of the best in the world.
If he keeps it going, he will go down as a global legend- an era-defining type of player.

He is doing all of this before he can drink in the states.

50 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Best LB in the world- probably.  He was a World Best XI at LB.  Best in the world- no I don’t think it’s seriously considered.

Fastest player in the world?  He was the 2nd fastest after Mbappe.

Everyone thinks he’s a world class player and that’s good enough for me.

Everyone except for EA sports anyhow

7 hours ago, RJB said:

7 hours ago, lamptern said:

He is already been in the world best 11 player team selection last year I believe.

If he isn't injured for the 2022, 2026, 2030 and 2034 WCs, he'll put on such a show that they will be forced to talk about him as one of the best in the world.