The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

On 9/11/2021 at 3:01 PM, Strait Red said:

Dutchy borrowed that from Pittsburgh Penguin broadcaster Mike Lange. He has a ton of goofy sayings in his repertoire.

On 9/11/2021 at 2:23 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Been beating that right side like a rented mule* all night.

*To quote Darren Dutchyshen from back in his old school prairie days.

Was sad to hear he is battling cancer.😟

Edited by MtlMario

10 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Bayern play Barca today in the CL at 4pm Atlantic time.  Will be interesting to see if Davies can once again rip them apart and cause UT to quietly rock back and forth in the fetal position.  

Well if you look at the history between the two teams, it is balanced. Barça has done as much or more in Europe. If we could have a full stadium it'd be different, but we are forced to only allow 30% in (I just returned to Barcelona last night and thought I would not go, but tickets are tough to get anyways and very expensive--like 350$ CDN with the restrictions in place).

Now most commentators here think we are inferior and should probably go out to control the match and not get burnt. It does not help that we are missing only in strikers Dembele, Ansu Fati and now Braithwaite--and Coutinho has not played since last December. All we have up top is Memphis Depay and Luuk de Jong, just in from Sevilla, who has never played for us before. My personal view is that Barça still won't respect Bayern enough, because we never tend to go out against anyone with excessive respect. 

Although it won't show up on the score sheet, Phonzie's dummy run for the first goal drew two defenders overloading the left side, allowing for Muller to open up and take the shot. Albeit deflected, Phonzie still helped create that chance big time. He's been all over the pitch, both defensively and offensively looking really strong thus far. I think it's definitely his day for some Phonzie magic.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If we could have a full stadium it'd be different, but we are forced to only allow 30% in

Only 30%? It looks and sounds like more on the broadcast but I'm not expert. Where's @Ozzie_the_parrot to weigh on the actual attendance and what it means for Barca's business model?

Watched much of the second half.  Davies played like he was in second gear; and so did Bayern.  Don’t know if that is an indictment of how poor Barça were or how good Bayern are.  Looks like a major rebuilding exercise in Catalonia…hopefully the kids will be given a chance and that the supporters will have patience.

49 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Only 30%? It looks and sounds like more on the broadcast but I'm not expert. Where's @Ozzie_the_parrot to weigh on the actual attendance and what it means for Barca's business model?

Camp Nou has the highest legal capacity in Europe. So less than a third is about 32,000. Which is what we'd get for a first round cup match vs a 4th tier side on a rainy November eve. 

The public is as lost as the team, too many mixed emotions. 

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

https://theathletic.com/2821187/2021/09/15/alphonso-davies-bayerns-cheat-code-looks-back-to-his-astonishing-best/

I'll be reading this at some point today. The headline looks like it's definitely pro-Phonzie, though.

I've read this now, and Rafa Honigstein's summary is like a brilliant symphony to the ears of this long-suffering Canadian supporter.

Anybody who's not a subscriber who's desperate to read the article, hit me up in a manner that won't get some people's knickers in a twist.