The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 hour ago, finchster said:

What is amazing about this list is the top five players under 25 are:  Haaland, Mbappé, Alexander-Arnold, Davies, and Sancho.

Davies is already the best male player to ever play for Canada.
He is the best in CONCACAF right now.
He is already one of the best in the world.
If he keeps it going, he will go down as a global legend- an era-defining type of player.

He is doing all of this before he can drink in the states.

What he is gonna do for Canadian soccer will be something else. In 10 years he will be playing with a younger version of himself coming out of Brampton or Trois Rivieres or  the Yukon who was inspired by him. In 10-15 years we are going to see a swarm of young elite players coming out of this country who watched Davies play and wanted to do what he did. Having Buchanan, Eustaquio and David won't hurt.

Edited by Sal333

16 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

What he is gonna do for Canadian soccer will be something else. In 10 years he will be playing with a younger version of himself coming out of Brampton or Trois Rivieres or  the Yukon who was inspired by him. In 10-15 years we are going to see a swarm of young elite players coming out of this country who watched Davies play and wanted to do what he did. Having Buchanan, Eustaquio and David won't hurt.

There were a ton of young people at the game. A lot of kids but also big groups of young men that were really getting into it in the east stands. There was a time as recent as 2018 WCQ where the only noise and chants came fron the Vs in the south end...no more. The east stand was rocking all night long. This team is changing the game and fan base in our country!

Here's an aspect of his game that no one has mentioned.

I invite everyone to look at an extended highlights package. Davies was enthusiastically  encouraging and applauding every decent play by a team mate. He even went up to David and told him not to get down on himself. He's a striker so take your shots. (I wasn't next to them when he spoke to JD. Fonzie said it in a presser) and Fonzie cheered the strongest when one of his teammates scored.

That sort of team spirit is contagious and will win games if not tournaments. 

I played the highlights to my class at lunch today. I paused the video at the start of the sequence to Davies' goal and asked them who would get that ball, most of them picked the Panama defender. They were so impressed with Davies' speed and burst into cheers after that goal. Heartwarming to see a bunch of 12 y/o getting excited over Canadian soccer. Even the ones with little interest in sports were in disbelief. 

On 10/14/2021 at 8:06 PM, davey_twelve said:

I played the highlights to my class at lunch today. I paused the video at the start of the sequence to Davies' goal and asked them who would get that ball, most of them picked the Panama defender. They were so impressed with Davies' speed and burst into cheers after that goal. Heartwarming to see a bunch of 12 y/o getting excited over Canadian soccer. Even the ones with little interest in sports were in disbelief. 

You showed a clip of Davies's run to your students. You must teach theoretical physics.

Edited by Sal333

14 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Can you make it ~13 or 14 years?  My little guy is only 5 years old at the moment.

The only other thing I wanted to say about Davies is regarding that first goal.  On that corner kick, and the preceding two that he took, he was absolutely pounding those in-swinging balls into the near post - the velocity, trajectory and placement made them almost impossible for Panama to deal with.  The first two almost went in, and when the third one did, it was like it was just inevitable - they were that powerful and vicious.  I mean I have not been all that impressed with his set pieces up til now, but that was some exhibition.  Again, he was really on it last night.  😮 🔥

Edited by GasPed

The best thing I loved about his play in the match and which sets him up for greatness is not the skill he displayed on that goal (which was amazing) but the fact he was dominant the whole match in game we needed to win and showed unbelievable leadership qualities - and all at 20!  I have seen other players show a piece of skill at that age which you just sit there and go “wow” or even dominate matches, but I haven’t seen someone do all of that at that age and also “put his country on his back” all night like Davies did.  He’s already a legend.