The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, definitely not pulled because of performance or lack of effort.  Just good coaching with the game now over.   It says a lot about Davies and his value to the team that he started this game against the 3rd place team despite putting on so many miles recently.  

This kid is unreal!

One thing that came to mind watching that game today is something that happened in the Panama game. Buchanan drew a foul and Davies went up to him and said something to Tajon. The play by play commentator speculated that Fonzie was telling him okay now keep attacking him he has a yellow card. And Davies gestures indicated the commentator was probably right. That encapsulates Davies game. He attacks relentlessly even as a left back. That's what he was doing in the Bayern game today after two overseas flights, two more slightly shorter flights and three grueling matches in 6 days.

I just have to shake my head at what this kid is doing. It's unreal. Simply unreal

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

Davies was subbed off due to a pain in his thigh. Probably not serious but he is questionable for the Benfica CL match Wednesday.

with the load he had last week I don’t think it was a good idea to start him today. 

It was an important game, a statement game for Bayern - against the team they were tied with at the top of the table.  If I'm Nagelsmann and Phonzie is ready to go, I play him... ...because how can you not?  😉  (And, tbf, after Davies left, they were outscored 1-0, so maybe he was indispensible. 😉)

I think Nagelsmann also views the game against Benfica as a) not as hard; and b) not as important.  Bayern will qualify from that group regardless of how that game goes (famous last words 😉).

4 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Here is the quote from Nagelsmann

"We hope that he is lucky. He felt a slight pain in his thigh. We have to see by Wednesday if it is enough."

Watching it didn't appear anything was wrong. Don't remember a specific challenge or tackle or anything. 

I thought I saw Davies pull up when he came across to clear the ball and concede a corner about 10-15 minutes before coming off. He appeared to ‘skip’ a step or two and then grab his leg quickly after the danger was cleared. Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought I saw that before I knew he had any issue. 

52 minutes ago, pod818 said:

Uh oh..hamstrings injuries can be tricky. Worried Bayern may look at his workload at the recent window and lay blame on that 

Getting way ahead of things, but if there is any doubt about his status I could see Herdman being cautious with Davies against CR so that he would be there for Mexico.  And also telling Bayern that would be the approach   

But I suspect he will be fine. 

40 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Getting way ahead of things, but if there is any doubt about his status I could see Herdman being cautious with Davies against CR so that he would be there for Mexico.  And also telling Bayern that would be the approach   

But I suspect he will be fine. 

I agree he may only see 1 game in the next window..but wouldn't you rather have him against CR, which really is a must win. A draw with Mexico (or even a loss) may not impact as much if we don't get a result against CR. 

I agree though, they are probably being abundantly cautious and I suspect he would be fine in November

There’s 4 weeks until the next window-  no reason to think he won’t be fully available. Bayern have a number of matches until then (League, cup and Champions League) so plenty of opportunity to get some game time after he recovers. Plus the next window is only two matches. I see no reason to think he won’t be fully available for those matches.

50 minutes ago, pod818 said:

..but wouldn't you rather have him against CR, which really is a must win. A draw with Mexico (or even a loss) may not impact as much if we don't get a result against CR. 

Agreed, but another approach given the health concern would be to save him as an impact sub for CR or possibly both games.  We have the depth to be able to do that now and we already took care of CR once without Davies in the GC.  (Granted they were without Navas, but they were largely as "full strength" as Costa Rica can be these days).  He will definitely be there given that it is in Edmonton, but JH does have to placate Bayern somewhat and maintain good relationships.

Edited by shorty

51 minutes ago, shorty said:

Agreed, but another approach given the health concern would be to save him as an impact sub for CR or possibly both games.  We have the depth to be able to do that now and we already took care of CR once without Davies in the GC.  (Granted they were without Navas, but they were largely as "full strength" as Costa Rica can be these days).  He will definitely be there given that it is in Edmonton, but JH does have to placate Bayern somewhat and maintain good relationships.

That is basically what I was thinking.  

Davies may have played multiple games before next window and have no concern whatsoever.  If that is the case, then just turn him loose without restriction because he could play all 180 minutes.

But if there is any question about his fitness, you leave it up to Tajon, David, Larin (hopefully), etc to do the job on offence against CR.  I think we have the firepower to do it without Phonzie, but at half time, if it doesn’t look like that will happen, you turn Davies loose to run against a tired and old CR defence.  

I think that is the recipe for 4+ points.  

5 hours ago, pod818 said:

Uh oh..hamstrings injuries can be tricky. Worried Bayern may look at his workload at the recent window and lay blame on that 

If you read the thread, this guy says his source for this news is "My German friend in Hamburg who watched the post game news conference with the doctor & head coach who confirmed it."

I think his friend in Hamburg may be pulling his leg, no pun intended, as it is odd that in the same alleged post-game news conference that Nagelsmann is quoted by Bayern's official twitter as saying Davies being a possibility for a game 3 days later? That seems like a strange way to "confirm" what a team Doctor (are they normally in post-game press conferences in Germany, even for a very minor injury at best?) said about him being out possibly up to two weeks.

In fact, here is the post game press conference. There is no team Doctor at it, and no mention of 10-14 day period by the head coach. The discussion on Davies starts at 6:40 and is more or less what Bayern twitter's quote was:

https://fcbayern.com/en/news/2021/10/reaction-bayern-breeze-past-leverkusen

Maybe they held a 2nd post-game press conference with the team Doctor included, but I doubt it. He hasn't been fully examined yet mind you so maybe it will be that he ends up being out a couple of weeks but until we actually get an official report I'll keep an open mind.

Doesn’t sound like a big deal. They have a league match on Saturday so hopefully he’s back for that.

edit: another update confirms its only a few day thing

Nagelsmann: "Phonzie did not suffer any major injury in Leverkusen, but we are giving him a two or three day break because we have a tight schedule."

Edited by Floortom