The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We should most definitely do what we have always done, and not try anything different, so we can get the results we always get?

With three games in a WCQ window, starting away in Azteca, it is safe to say that this is a pretty unique set of circumstances.   I am just saying we need to do what is most likely to maximize our point return over that window.  And to be clear, I don’t think that involves playing guys in a position for the very first time or going guns blazing against Mexico at the risk of campaign-ruining results in the next two games.  

That is very different that advocating that we just do “what we have always done”. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

With three games in a WCQ window, starting away in Azteca, it is safe to say that this is a pretty unique set of circumstances.   I am just saying we need to do what is most likely to maximize our point return over that window.  And to be clear, I don’t think that involves playing guys in a position for the very first time or going guns blazing against Mexico at the risk of campaign-ruining results in the next two games.  

That is very different that advocating that we just do “what we have always done”. 

These three game breaks were always going to present some unique challenges that that teams especially the coaches have never faced before. While I am never a fan of outright conceding points, you can certainly map out a plan of attack using squad rotation to give them  in their eyes the best opportunity to maximize points. For instance keeping Alphonso and say Jonathan fresh by using them in the final 30 of the match at Mexico could be one way to go. But how cool would it be to get a point out of Azteca but as other have said you do not want to do it at the expense of the other more winnable games. I do not envy the position Herdman is in trying to figure this all out. 

He played well - one defensive miscue that could've been a problem (as usual, not tracking his man), but Neuer saved him.  Offensively very involved, some good passes but couldn't unlock Frankfurt (no one could).  I'm always concerned about the amount he has to run though.  It would be nice if Herdman kept him up top in this round of qualifying, and rotated him a bit too, as he's at his best when he's fresh.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:28 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Let's bring the discussion over on the Liam Millar thread over here, since it is about Alphonso Davies. 

My patience is running thin with so many fans and supposedly knowledgable supporters of the national team, who insist on playing our best player where he can do the least damage. 

We are simply taking an "accident", Bayern Munich in a pinch with injuries, and making it into a law: Davies plays left side. The other part of that story is Robinson easing a kid into a team, all credit to him.

Now for a team with prolific goal scorers galore and plenty of attacking options, a team that steamrolls most rivals, it's fine, let him be a role player. Or for a coach wanting to give a kid some time to fit in.

That cannot be the case for Canada. We need our best playing in their best positions if we don't want to be sitting watching Panama playing Portugal and Uruguay in the first round of the Qatar World Cup, in a year. And Alphonso, if he is meant to be an attacking player, is a right side attacker turning in. 

But don't take my word for it. This is the player that Bayern bought for a record price (and no, they did not buy a left back). They bought an electric fast attacker who plays right, turns in and scores. Check these MLS goals, all 8. Only two is he even remotely on the left side and the rest middle or right. The best, from the right. But some here, and Herdman, are shitting themselves over this. Why?

I'll take this with Tajon or Miller playing up the left and turning in to shoot, or assist. I'll take Tajon's goal against Mexico or Miller at Basel. 

Now if tactics or game circumstances have him elsewhere, fine, he's great. A great option for assisting from the left, can't complain with that: but only as the exception, not the rule. 

Waiting for everyone to tell me that what he did 3 years ago in MLS he is not capable of reproducing now.

With that assist last night you could add another highlight to this package

Bringing this over from the Mexico/Canada thread as I think some may have stopped checking it:

@Sal333 says, "Herc literally walked off a Mexican show where the analysts were arguing about the best player in CONCACAF and they mentioned Corona in the same breath as Davies. This guy knows his game and he was singing the praises for the Canadian team for quite awhile."

It's been so satisfying to see the world wake up to Phonzy and now Canada. 

6 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Arrested Development No GIF

Also, lol @ the segment being called: "Did he prove he's the best player in CONCACAF?". I suppose they're having a hard time accepting facts 🤷‍♂️

He is absolutely the best player in CONCACAF at this point. The question I have is if you need a top 10 list for the best players in the region , where does the next Canadian land ie David. Phonzie’ is a treat to watch. 

29 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

I really hope he doesn't, bring him on in the 60' if you must but I'd rather he rests this game then shows up rest and in full force for Panama. Not worth it to run him out in Kingston.