The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I get the joke, but you have to see how this is a bit dumb, right?  Immediately before a huge game, he is basically saying he is under-appreciated and he is implying that his absence leaves a huge hole in the team.  One or both of those things may be true, but it is dumb to say it to 4 million people right before your teammates play a huge game. 

I see how you think it's a dumb thing to post.

He made a post and we projected our own insecurities onto it.

28 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I'm going to take the glass half-full interpretation - Davies didn't want to go back to Germany - even though he had the knock, he wanted to stay with the team and support/represent.  But Bayern pushed and CMNT said "Phonzie you better go back or they won't let you come play anymore", so reluctantly he headed back home.  But he's disappointed and that's why he tweeted.  At least that's the glass half-full story.  😉

This is the exact explanation that I can think of. 

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

The fact that someone had to try and clarify, and then Phonzie himself deleted the post pretty much confirms that it WAS a dumb thing to post.   

Yeah, he should have known that so many people would get irrational, fly off the handle, and make wild assumptions based on no information whatsoever. Definitely a lesson learned for the young man.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, he should have known that so many people would get irrational, fly off the handle, and make wild assumptions based on no information whatsoever. Definitely a lesson learned for the young man.

It is hilarious that you still maintain your position after everything that happened - including the deletion and him feeling the need to reinforce his loyalty.  

But yeah, we were just projecting…. Lol. 

It seemed really uncharacteristic of him so I'm happy it's just an inside joke (if that's truly the case) but weird it didn't register that the obvious speculation would be about Canada, especially for someone who's so media savvy.

At least we know we're becoming a football nation when he has to tweet out an explanation 😁

Edited by sebdeserio

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

It is hilarious that you still maintain your position after everything that happened - including the deletion and him feeling the need to reinforce his loyalty.  

But yeah, we were just projecting…. Lol. 

We were just projecting, because there never was any issue whatsoever lol

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

On the plus side, it's nice to finally have a player who has everyone hanging off his every word. This is what it's like for players across Europe, South America and Mexico. We're finally becoming manically obsessive! Yes!

My thought too. You know this NT is reaching new heights, when player developments are closely tracked outside this board :)

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

To be honest I am a little pissed off people would write Davies off so quickly and assume there was issue with Canada. I am sad for him that he had to make that statement.

Thinking the same thing. This guy is a proud Canadian and always plays his heart for us and loves sharing and liking posts of other Canada teammates. Dumb post but the fact people assumed the worse is not fair to Phonzie.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

We were just projecting, because there never was any issue whatsoever lol

I get what you’re saying, but this isn’t 2007 anymore. Social Media and what you post is apart of the job description of being a World Class athlete. There’s no way you can chalk this up to fans being irrational, it’s just not something you post before a big game, no matter the context. He’s young, and I’m glad he will take it as a learning point. 

game time in 2 hours, just a little event to take our minds off it a bit haha

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

2 minutes ago, BigMo said:

Guilty as charged, you were right! We definitely jumped the gun. 

All good. I get it man I really do! Easy to jump to conclusions at the best of times, but especially with the ongoing usmnt shit show fresh in our minds, I don't blame anyone (that includes you @dyslexic nam), but I do wish we had a little more restraint, especially for someone so important as Davies.