The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

5 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Boomer here.  Hand raised.    Translation required.

The caption is a lyric from one of Drake's songs from a few years back.  The reference relates to being in Toronto.  The music on in the background of the video is a medley of recent Drake songs from his latest album.

Edited by Corazon

Just now, Corazon said:

The caption is a lyric from one of Drake's songs from a few years back.  The reference relates to being in Toronto.  The music on in the background is a medley of recent Drake songs from his latest album.

I Googled "running through the 6 with all my woes" and got this Drake thing:

“Woe is my crew. It stands for ‘working on excellence.’ It’s just my whole brand and my whole movement and my way of life for everyone.” Drake said. “I want everyone to work on excellence. So, all my friends are my Woes and I feel anybody working on excellence in life is a Woe in life as well.”

All I'm going to say is I do not understand this generation.  Oh well.   🙄

While collecting all the beer bottle empties from the frustrating Jamaica match, the morning after, I was shocked when I heard a drunken voice bellowing out from one of the bottles: 

TF: Hey there, I ain finished yer dregs yet! 

ME: Who said that? 

TF: Washme, Trashfly McBane, just call me TF. 

To my astonishment,  a common or so it seemed, house-fly stumbled up to the lip of the bottle 

TF: Frushtratrating match last night, eh! 

ME: ummm, let me get my breath back here....T F. I am a bit shocked about being addressed by a fly, although I have often read of your kind in  the annals of the Voyageur forums these many years ago. 

TF: Ah yes, an infamous ancestor of mine. 

ME: So, what do I owe this unexpected...pleasure... to. 

TF: Well, I read your ridiculous rantings on  the forum, and thought this might be a good place to catch a syuptishous view of the match and indulge in sharing some of your brewskies. I kept drinking long after you passed out. 

ME: Well fancy that, a fly who talks and is a Canadian soccer fan..now THAT is really rare. 

TF: What was more frustrating was the online meeting on the dark net I hacked into on your pc after the matsh. 

ME: Do tell, TF. 

TF: Well, I had this sick feeling as to why Phonzie was playing as if his ash was on fire at the end of the USh matsh  lasht  month, so I snuck into Herdman´s secret account to try to find out. Well to my shurprise, up popped the faces of an apolgetic Herdman, a pisshed-off Phonzie, and 3 simmering directors of Bayern Munich, team manager Kathleen Kruger. President Herbert Hainer, and Chairman Oliver Kahn. I have the transhcirption here on my cell phone, so I will read it to you becaush the screensh too small. 

ME: Well, shiver me timbers and holy Ali Gerba! What was said? 

What follows is the barely discernable dialogue, with the German roles delivered in the wurst German accent you could imagine, so incredible that it seemd like it was written by a crazed anti-vaxxer. 

…......................................... 

H: Good evening, or whatever time it is there, everybody. 

All: (murmurs of acknowledgement) 

H: I explained our side of the bargain, to send Phonzie back early, to Phonzie, and he insisted on this meeting because he is opposed to being sent back now. 

OK:  OUF.... 

KK: Wait a minute, we had a deal. We need Alphonso here, especially after Hernandez has just been sent off to jail for 6 months. 

AD: No way man, I love Lucas...Well, I stayed away for training during the Gold Cup,  along with Jonathan David, on your orders, I kept quiet ...well except for a stupid twitter I wrote after being sent back early before  the El Salvador match before the fake “indiscernible injury announcement , but nobody got it anyway….but there is absolutely no way I´m missing the Panama one. No friggin´wayOne lie, shame on you, two lies shame on me... Besides, we all could be in trouble if we used the same excuse again. Especially after my boss performance against Red Bull days after. 

H: Where is Nagelmann? He should be here. 

KK: Plausible deniability Herdman! We have enforceable laws against meetings like this in  Germany. 

HH: Listen, Davies, you get your ass back here now, or there will be hell to pay!

OK: OUF... 

KK: Cool down there Herbert, that is not the way to resolve things. Well, we want to keep Alphonso happy, and we could all be on some thin ice here, so we can bend the agreement a little bit. He can do Panama but once he gets a real injury, no matter how small, once you qualify for whatever, he stays with us. No more than one friendly per international break, no nothin´´.  Got it? 

H: Sounds good to me, CSA will go along with that. And, Kathleen, I tried to convince Phonsie not to have this meeting, but he was adamant... 

OK: Ouf... 

KK:  Well, good luck against Panama! And this meeting...never happened. 

OK OUF.... 

---------------------------------------------------- 

At that point, poor Trashfly passed out, and I placed him carefully on  a window ledge to recover. 

Oh, brave new world, that has such people and flies in it! Not to mention the determination of our players. 

Herdman described Phonzie's goal as something out of the Matrix. That's pretty accurate. The Toronto star reported that Davies is the best known Cdn sportsperson...outside Canada. In Canada he's not close! That should change soon. Despite a +37km/hr sprint for 80 yards and an amazing finish Davies did not look fatigued....most 100M sprinters collapse at the finish line. He's got an amazing motor.

On 10/15/2021 at 4:10 AM, An Observer said:

The best thing I loved about his play in the match and which sets him up for greatness is not the skill he displayed on that goal (which was amazing) but the fact he was dominant the whole match in game we needed to win and showed unbelievable leadership qualities - and all at 20!  I have seen other players show a piece of skill at that age which you just sit there and go “wow” or even dominate matches, but I haven’t seen someone do all of that at that age and also “put his country on his back” all night like Davies did.  He’s already a legend. 

TBH, he showed much more composure and leadership on the field in his last season with the Caps then his more much experienced teammates who were too often losing their sh*t as the final days of the Robbo era played out 

Despite the efforts of last week, Davies is looking dangerous.  Had a good shot after he used a nice little stop-start stutter to make room for himself in the box.  He also had a perfectly timed  run that Sane just didn’t recognize (or chose not to use - Sane seems like a fairly selfish player).  And he just made a quick sprint to stop a one on one for Bayer.  

As much as we may wish to see Davies further up the field for Bayern, his position at LB certainly doesn’t seem to constrain his offensive contribution for them, or do anything to dull his attacking instinct as we have seen with Canada.   The versatility to use someone with his talent anywhere on the pitch from LB to LW to striker depending on our need is something that is pretty valuable.