General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So I just caught the very end of the game but Guyana just tied Jamaica 1-1 to earn a spot in the Gold Cup qualifiers, and they did it through a goal by Welshman and some great saves by Quillan Roberts - including a vital game saver of the last kick in the 93rd minute. 

Go Guyanada!

Fixed your post.

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

When I first looked this guy up I was actually worried they might get an awesome player. At 18 year old starter for Seville.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Gil

Then I looked a little harder and found out it is actually a guy who has played one game for for CD Fas in their domestic league. Not exactly a huge coup.

http://www.playmakerstats.com/player.php?id=610894&epoca_id=0&search=1

Even their dual nations are garbage....

El Salvador has a decent ex-pat population in the States and will likely be paid by a promoter for those games in January.

Fair play to their FA for capitalizing on this advantage.

They’ll probably lose all those games, though. They are seriously horrendous. 

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Here is the El Salvador plan.

Look at the money they are putting into playing friendlies for 2020:

January 19th 2020: vs Iceland in Los Angeles

February 2020: vs the USA ( the USA's camp cupcake)

March 2020: two games in Europe 

http://www.laprensagrafica.com/deportes/El-Salvador-tendra-amistoso-con-Islandia-en-2020-20191117-0412.html

http://as.com/us/2019/11/18/futbol/1574053543_214652.html

-------------------------------

El Salvador are also trying to get Bryan Gil,who is the son of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristian_Gil_Mosquera

The kid, Bryan, has been living in El Salvador since 2006 but is not yet a citizen.

http://www.elsalvador.com/deportes/futbol/al-goleador-bryan-gil-le-emociona-llegar-a-la-selecta/644924/2019/

http://www.elsalvador.com/deportes/selecciones/fesfut-gestiona-nacionalizacion-de-bryan-gil/660004/2019/

If this is actually their friendlies schedule, maybe we shouldn’t be as risky as everyone thinks. Win against a couple weak opponents, get 10ish ranking points, let El Salvador self destruct. This seems like a very bad idea for El Salvador, I’d be surprised if they didn’t lose more points than they gain.

9 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

That's criminal. The full video makes it even worse. The play starts and finishes the with ES striker in an offside position. 

While he is just offside when the cross is delivered, that is nowhere near the level of some of the more egregious calls we've seen from CONCACAF referees in the past.

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

While he is just offside when the cross is delivered, that is nowhere near the level of some of the more egregious calls we've seen from CONCACAF referees in the past.

I think someone mentioned that the assistant referee was out of position and from that angle he misses the offside position at the moment the ball is played.

26 minutes ago, Floortom said:

How many points would El Salvador lose though for 4 friendly losses against higher ranked opponents ? I don’t think it’s that many.

also I’m sure they would cancel if it made the difference between qualifying and not

I have no idea, maybe someone could figure out how many points they’d lose. Even if it’s 2.5 per loss which is conservative I think, that’s 10 points. So we’d still have to make up about 5 points which we could easily do against minnows. 

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

How many points would El Salvador lose though for 4 friendly losses against higher ranked opponents ? I don’t think it’s that many.

also I’m sure they would cancel if it made the difference between qualifying and not

Depends on who they play in March. They would lose 1.8 for a loss to Iceland and 1.5 for a loss to USA, since they are outside the window. The March window games would likely be 5 points lost each.

3 minutes ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

Depends on who they play in March. They would lose 1.8 for a loss to Iceland and 1.5 for a loss to USA, since they are outside the window. The March window games would likely be 5 points lost each.

More than I thought. Seems an odd strategy by SLV since they are in control. Maybe they heard about the Canadian “import a minnow for a month strategy” ? 

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Eh this one's pretty bad.  Even though he's not offside by a lot, at no point in the entire buildup is he ever onside, so this should be an extremely routine call for a linesman who is standing in line with the last defender.

Maybe they are just using those friendlies to see whether they are competitive enough for the Hex? Getting some results would give them confidence and loosing all 4 games could send them in the 7-35 path which is better than finishing last in the Hex.

As I said before. There might be something to this theory. I think it would have to do more with money. Maybe they feel like they can make more money going thru the qualifying process coupled with maybe the CSA just has to make them an offer they can't refuse to play a home and away. I know a game billed as a win and your in vs El Salvador would sell big in Vancouver at BC Place 

52 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe El Salvador are trying NOT to qualify for the Hex!

They arguably a better chance in the minnow route than finishing 4th. I'm fairly confident that El Salvador would finish dead bottom....

We should start monitoring  their fan forums and see if they are equally as pissed off that they are unexpectedly  in the hex and upset at how destroyed they are goin to get.

Watching on the bet365 feed. 

1-0 at halftime. Pretty open could easily be 2-2 to be honest. I'm not confident that DR can pull off a result but I guess anything could happen. 

Man, after watching 3-4 El Salvador games the last few months, no way ES would agree to play us in friendlies, if they truly do want to be in the hex. 

46th minute and El Salvador have started their shananigans. Two players both down cause they must have got "shot by the invisible sniper" in the crowd.

Update:

65th minute and at 5-6 El Salvador Injured players, miraculously all have recovered, gotta love CONCACAF. 

Edited by apbsmith
Update