General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

On 11/20/2019 at 4:29 PM, Obinna said:

El Salvador paying off countries like Iceland, just to make a qualifying round they'll certainly finish last in...

Iceland I would have no issues with. It's the countries and league of certain countries that have a long history of match fixing and investigations I would be slightly concerned about. 

In the fairness and hope of fair play I hope it does not occur. 

Sure you can call me a conspiracy theorist but the reality is hundreds of matches each year are investigated for match fixing both at club and international, I can only hope it does not occur in any El Salvador friendlies.

Edited by apbsmith
El Salvador friendlies

19 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

There's a very real chance they lose to both Iceland and USA if both those friendlies have been confirmed. What would losing those 2 friendlies bring their FIFA ranking to? 

Somebody posted earlier in this thread that the losses would be 1.5 points and 1.8 points lost. So about 3 points lost, leaving us behind by 12. 2 losses in March would lose about 10 more, so we’d be down by about 2. Any way you look at it, we’re going to have to gain points to overtake them, it’s just a question of how many points will we need and how risky should we be with our scheduling. Any lost points and we’re really screwed. 

2 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Somebody posted earlier in this thread that the losses would be 1.5 points and 1.8 points lost. So about 3 points lost, leaving us behind by 12. 2 losses in March would lose about 10 more, so we’d be down by about 2. Any way you look at it, we’re going to have to gain points to overtake them, it’s just a question of how many points will we need and how risky should we be with our scheduling. Any lost points and we’re really screwed. 

Interesting, do we even have friendlies lined up? Even rumoured? 

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

+3 people actually showing up to watch

And yet the Whitecaps had lower attendance this season, than the season they were at Empire Field, despite having a better record this season!

Need real turf - not artificial.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

And having the capability of hosting games in January or March. I'd much rather have a camp poutine match in Vancouver than in neutral site Florida on some training ground.

They've been playing club soccer at BMO Field in both December and February in recent years. I'm not sure why the national team can't play there in during either the early November or late March international breaks. There hasn't been a January break for years.

Edited by nfitz

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

And yet the Whitecaps had lower attendance this season, than the season they were at Empire Field, despite having a better record this season!

They've been playing club soccer at BMO Field in both December and February in recent years. I'm not sure why the national team can't play there in during either the early November or late March international breaks. There hasn't been a January break for years.

That’s because we’re shit and it’s hard to attract the casual when we’re as shit as we were last year. At least we show up when the national team come to town.

3 hours ago, nfitz said:

I’m not sure what your Empire field point is about, especially since wasn’t it also artificial turf?

As for BMO Field, playing in December and February seemed to play a big role in the poor quality of the field in 2018. Yes we haven’t had January camps for a few years, but it’s still something I would like to see happen in Vancouver since they are capable.

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

30k never showed up when you had him? Why would they all of sudden now? Or is it thw prestige thing because he's at Bayern? 

I was just tryna joke around 😂 . 

I'd rather Canada play wherever they get the best support. Nation-wide. Except Montreal 😉 (just kidding... kinda maybe ?)

59 minutes ago, Shway said:

30k never showed up when you had him? Why would they all of sudden now? Or is it thw prestige thing because he's at Bayern? 

Because there are more Canadian fans here then Whitecaps fans

I guess what we should be doing is getting Davies or Scott Arfield to take a picture with Drake or whatever the hell is considered cool out there. Then people in Toronto will know it's ok to cheer for Canada

7 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Because there are more Canadian fans here then Whitecaps fans

I guess what we should be doing is getting Davies or Scott Arfield to take a picture with Drake or whatever the hell is considered cool out there. Then people in Toronto will know it's ok to cheer for Canada

Your hate/dislike for Toronto is cute. It reminds me of when I was in Witchita, Kansas and how the people would talk about the big cities lol.

But I'm with you man, Vancouver should get the winter games - if like @Kent said means Canada playing at home versus playing in Florida. Spring through Fall, i'll take ATCO, Saputo, Moncton, or the Wanderers ground to host any minnows we may have to play.