General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

37 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

You snooze you lose.....I hear on good authority (anon reddit user or maybe some dude on this board) that the TO fans are tired of watching minnows and the games are going to get passed around..Halifax, WPG, the gordie bowl etc.  

As much as I enjoy going to MNT matches no matter who we're playing I don't blame the Toronto crowd for being tired of watching us beat up on minnows, the same would happen in any other city that has hosted matches vs minnows I'm sure! Maybe we can get a match in Hamilton, I wouldn't be against the games being moved around to other markets outside of Toronto at all!

Well I hate to say it, but come time to decide on the next home game there will be half the board saying they HAVE TO BE IN TORONTO.  If we have to go down this side road and play another 7-8 home dates against minnows, why not move them around.  

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

It would be a nice reward for the people/communities currently investing in infrastructure 

Exactly, instead of 10000 in TO, with 2000 being road support, have 6600 rabid Halifax fans foaming at the mouth.  

I'm actually pretty confused about why it's so negative around here. Yes, we're not in a great position but why is everyone acting like its over?

El Salvador are planning on having friendlies with "higher-level European squads" in March. Why is this not getting talked about more? They looked very poor in their last two games. 

I can pretty easily see them losing to these European nations and losing valuable (10ish depending who they play) FIFA points in the process.

Yes, they could win these matches and we would be too far back to catch them, but all is not lost just yet.

1 hour ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

I'm actually pretty confused about why it's so negative around here. Yes, we're not in a great position but why is everyone acting like its over?

(take long sigh, puts arm gently around shoulder of the new forum member) Son, you must not be from around these parts, amirite?

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Halifax deserves a game and has a nice pitch. No to anywhere with turf ugh. 

Montreal should get a game next year. 

West coast costs more and there isnt one great venue. 

Best CPL fanbase but HFX stadium needs work. Pitch is good but only in the summer/late fall. Seating isn't really there for two sides of the stadium. Aren't the restrooms portables only? Is there a decent dressing room? Isn't the food all from food trucks? 

Calgary has same issues as HFX - good support but lots of stadium issues. Winnipeg should also get a look along with Regina. Ottawa, Hamilton, Edmonton & Vancouver should all be in the mix.

However, putting matches outside of Toronto means higher losses for the CSA. Ticket prices are higher in Toronto, BMO is basically rent free and will get higher attendance likely vs many of the cities listed above. Given the CSA is barely making ends meet, it isn't worth impaling the entire org to mollify some supporters.

Edited by red card

18 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

What a joke, eliminated three years away from the world cup...

Um, we have probably missed out on the easy qualification for the hex. There is still one last spot to play for if results go as expected.

13 hours ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

El Salvador are planning on having friendlies with "higher-level European squads" in March. Why is this not getting talked about more? They looked very poor in their last two games. 

I can pretty easily see them losing to these European nations and losing valuable (10ish depending who they play) FIFA points in the process.

Yes, they could win these matches and we would be too far back to catch them, but all is not lost just yet.

I guess it will be who they play.

Eastern European countries and bags full of $ can go a long ways sometimes. 

20 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

What a joke, eliminated three years away from the world cup...

The 2014 and 2018 cycles I've watched the relevant wiki page like this one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification#Qualification_process

Just to see if we could hold on long enough to be one of the last 100 countries with hope of qualifying. We failed both times (of course partly due to the process, and partly due to results). Now this time it almost feels like we are eliminated before our first official game, even though there are still 186 teams still mathematically in it.

Emphasis on almost because there is still an outside shot of us making the hex, and if we manage to not draw South America in the inter-continental playoff, we have some amount of hope of qualifying from the lower route.

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

I guess it will be who they play.

Eastern European countries and bags full of $ can go a long ways sometimes. 

This is the part I worry about. If they are setting up friendlies with higher ranked teams, you've got to wonder if there is something going on in the background. They have done remarkably well in the last year in friendlies while doing relatively poor in competitive matches.

17 minutes ago, Kent said:

This is the part I worry about. If they are setting up friendlies with higher ranked teams, you've got to wonder if there is something going on in the background. They have done remarkably well in the last year in friendlies while doing relatively poor in competitive matches.

El Salvador paying off countries like Iceland, just to make a qualifying round they'll certainly finish last in...

3 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I don't know about you guys but I'm getting pretty tired of hearing the CSA DOESN'T HAVE THE MONEY FOR FRIENDLIES. Now JH is saying they are working hard behind the scene to set up friendlies for next spring. As a wise man once told me " If you're gonna be on the dance floor you better be f*&^%$#@ dancing".

Use the Mediapro money 

Just in terms of gold cup qualifying in March, these are my ideal matchups and predictions.

Guadeloupe vs French Guiana because fuck non fifa teams.

Montserrat vs Bahamas so a small nation(in terms of FIFA rankings) gets through 

Barbados vs St Vincent and the Grenadines  because they’re sorta close to each other.

Guatemala vs Guyana  because their all that’s left.

Second round

French Guiana vs Haiti because fuck non fifa teams again

Montseratt vs Cuba so Montserrat have a chance

St Vincent and the Grenadines vs Bermuda no reason for this one other than both are relatively small

Guatemala vs Trinidad and Tobago just for a matchup between two solid teams.

Edited by SkuseisLoose

I hope Cuba fail to qualify so we don't have to deal with this bi-annual defection nonsense.

And they are already relegated to B, so defections should stop until at least Gold Cup 2023 (if they qualify).

Did I mention that I love the fact we have Gold Cup qualifying now? Next step to make this tournament less Mickey Mouse is to have games in Canada and Mexico. Just use it as a dry run for WC 2026 from here on out.

Edited by Obinna

On 11/20/2019 at 11:46 AM, Mikmacdo said:

Awful turf so not great imo. 

Yeah, it did not look good on TV for the French Guiana game.  Like, little better than those cricket fields in the Caribbean it looked so poor.  Plus it seemed like our quick players were loosing their footing when they tried to make quick cuts.