Theo Bair

I think we need to see if he gets a transfer, to a better SPL team or into Championship, say, and see what he can do.

Clearly, defending in 60% of SPL is poor to middling, not at the level of a strong 2nd tier. 

I'm actually surprised he did not do well in Scandinavia, because he seems to have the right skill set for a top flight in Sweden or Norway.

Even with that, he seems to have more ball skills than Ubgo, for example, who is more a one shot, one hit player. But for me the jury is still out.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think we need to see if he gets a transfer, to a better SPL team or into Championship, say, and see what he can do.

Clearly, defending in 60% of SPL is poor to middling, not at the level of a strong 2nd tier. 

I'm actually surprised he did not do well in Scandinavia, because he seems to have the right skill set for a top flight in Sweden or Norway.

Even with that, he seems to have more ball skills than Ubgo, for example, who is more a one shot, one hit player. But for me the jury is still out.

At this point, I think it's fair to say his coach surely deserves a lot of credit for emergence.  He found the way to get this out of him.  Theo is confident, using not only his body but believing in himself and skills.  He's never looked this good.

Bad defending or not, there was a lot of muscle and footwork needed to finish some of his goals.  This is not just down to poor defending.

I would hate to see him leave this environment for a move to another team with a coach that just spoils all this development and benches him after 4 games without results.

20 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So he has shown he can now put the ball in the net and battle physically.   He also looks physically strong and is 6’ 3”.  That is a pretty interesting profile for us - and something we haven’t had for a while.   

With Bair, Bombito and Biello all around 6'3" and solid builds the team would look quite different to what we've had.  Obviously still long way to go before we can consider them all starters though.

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He went on loan in Norway and did well (though div 2), which is what lead to the interest/transfer to Scotland.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

At this point, I think it's fair to say his coach surely deserves a lot of credit for emergence.  He found the way to get this out of him.  Theo is confident, using not only his body but believing in himself and skills.  He's never looked this good.

Bad defending or not, there was a lot of muscle and footwork needed to finish some of his goals.  This is not just down to poor defending.

I would hate to see him leave this environment for a move to another team with a coach that just spoils all this development and benches him after 4 games without results.

This x1000 

I'm always scared in this scenario. It's clearly working. Gut always says it's a huge risk and in this case it maybe feels too soon. I'd like to see if he can do it again next year.

However, top level opportunities and sports careers can end tomorrow. At somepoint you have to cut the umbilical cord and see whether he has grown and can take this form into different environment without that coaching setup and team. Good coaching will see he is coachable and in theory he should get that if he moves upwards. However picking the right move (coaches, environment and playing time) if it is offered is important.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

2024 Bair would have success in Scandinavia. When he was in Norway he was seemingly the same player who only scored 1 goal for St. Johnstone. We have to keep in mind his transformation has been super recent.

Maybe Scandinavia would be a good place to go next, except for a much bigger side. He could join Malmo for example and compete for trophies, or maybe even somewhere like FC Copenhagen. I know someone in the thread said big 2 in Scotland. Then, there's the Championship as you say, which would be the most likely destination and probably the best one, but I just wonder if a Malmo/FCK type of move would be good for him, if not a move within the UK.

34 minutes ago, Obinna said:

2024 Bair would have success in Scandinavia. When he was in Norway he was seemingly the same player who only scored 1 goal for St. Johnstone. We have to keep in mind his transformation has been super recent.

Maybe Scandinavia would be a good place to go next, except for a much bigger side. He could join Malmo for example and compete for trophies, or maybe even somewhere like FC Copenhagen. I know someone in the thread said big 2 in Scotland. Then, there's the Championship as you say, which would be the most likely destination and probably the best one, but I just wonder if a Malmo/FCK type of move would be good for him, if not a move within the UK.

Comparing leagues is always hard, but if you use the UEFA Co-efficient he'd be dropping 5 spots to go to Denmark/Copenhagen (which I don't think is bad) but 14 spots to go Malmo/Sweden (which I think isn't ideal).  So while it's great that Cornelius is having success there, I'd prefer Bair stay at Motherwell and duplicate this season rather than move to that league now.

12 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Comparing leagues is always hard, but if you use the UEFA Co-efficient he'd be dropping 5 spots to go to Denmark/Copenhagen (which I don't think is bad) but 14 spots to go Malmo/Sweden (which I think isn't ideal).  So while it's great that Cornelius is having success there, I'd prefer Bair stay at Motherwell and duplicate this season rather than move to that league now.

It is a team vs team debate, not league vs league though. IMO Competing for first division titles and European places is significant. I believe Copenhagen would be a big step up while Malmo would be a slightly smaller and “easier” step up. 

1 hour ago, maccaliam said:

It is a team vs team debate, not league vs league though. IMO Competing for first division titles and European places is significant.

To a certain extent, sure. But you also don't want to drop too far down just to play for a "better" team.

1 hour ago, maccaliam said:

I believe Copenhagen would be a big step up while Malmo would be a slightly smaller and “easier” step up. 

I agree, and if given the option to go to Copenhagen he should probably take it. But Malmo isn't enough of a step up imo and in that instance I think he'd be better off staying put and building on what he's done in an environment he's comfortable in.

I think he might actually benefit from another season at Motherwell before a move. A lot of their fans don't buy that he can recreate this next year, and given that he's scored more goals in the last 2 months than during his entire career prior, I think if he can recreate this year again next, he could find himself in the Championship or maybe even the Netherlands. Regardless, I think he's secured himself a spot in MLS whenever he's ready to come back home, hopefully years down the line.

16 hours ago, Watchmen said:

League discrepancy is heavily affected by team strength. Scotland is the 7th (?) best league in the world because Celtic and Rangers are Europe-class clubs, but the others, especially clubs like Motherwell are relatively poor. If Copenhagen was an option, I think that would be a huge step up. I think they made it to the champions league round of 16s two seasons ago if I'm not mistaken? Just those 8-10 CL games he could play with them would be so much more meaningful than what he's doing in Scotland.

Theo needs some stability.  Like others, I would be happy to have him stay at Motherwell.  Having said that, where he winds up next season may not be up to him or Motherwell.  If a club comes in with a really decent offer, no matter which level, Motherwell will accept it.

Also, Kevin Van Veen (now at Kilmarnock) was the striker previous to Bair and was much more prolific.  Ok, he was older but his big move was to Groningen and it didn’t work out for him there.  I would be shocked if Celtic or Rangers would be interested, they are looking at higher end talent than Bair.

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Total hypothetical and probably not likely but for arguments sake… how would people feel if Bair went to TFC? Just saying this because I saw someone bring it up on Twitter and I thought it would be interesting. 

As a TFC fan I would love this

43 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Total hypothetical and probably not likely but for arguments sake… how would people feel if Bair went to TFC? Just saying this because I saw someone bring it up on Twitter and I thought it would be interesting. 

Would rather TFC get Kerr to work out but I would not be opposed to him in MLS at all. If Nashville loses Mukhtar, he would be a good acquisition. I think Charlotte paid like $11M for Liel Abada of Celtic, so there is precedent for big transfers from Scotland to mls. 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

My message is the same as when anyone says "X player should return to the CPL!". No. If you're in Europe and doing well, stay there. Bair should not be looking at a return to MLS at all right now.

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

My message is the same as when anyone says "X player should return to the CPL!". No. If you're in Europe and doing well, stay there. Bair should not be looking at a return to MLS at all right 

I don't see a move back to MLS, either.