Theo Bair

4 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Shankland too went from successful in Scotland to iffy Belgium and hastily back.

I'm looking at Shankland's stats, and it appears that he was quite prolific in the lower divisions in Scotland, but he only scored at a rate of one goal every 340 minutes in the SPL during the 20/21 season. The following year in Belgium, he was scoring at a rate of one goal every 360 minutes. That's not a huge drop. It could bode well for Bair if he were to make a similar move.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I'm looking at Shankland's stats, and it appears that he was quite prolific in the lower divisions in Scotland, but he only scored at a rate of one goal every 340 minutes in the SPL during the 20/21 season. The following year in Belgium, he was scoring at a rate of one goal every 360 minutes. That's not a huge drop. It could bode well for Bair if he were to make a similar move.

That's a good point, but it's also true that Shankland has lit up the SPL after his return in 2022/23 (1G/126 min) and now 2023/24 (1G/138 min).  Which seems to indicate that the grass is indeed greener in Scotland.

I think there's still a lot of mystery as to what Bair's true level is. While I understand the argument to staying at Motherwell as it is the only place he has achieved professional stability and success, I would like to see him move somewhere so that we can get a better idea of what level he can play at

2 hours ago, GasPed said:

That's a good point, but it's also true that Shankland has lit up the SPL after his return in 2022/23 (1G/126 min) and now 2023/24 (1G/138 min).  Which seems to indicate that the grass is indeed greener in Scotland.

I wasn't suggesting that the two leagues are equal in level, but I don't think the gap is large enough to be a major barrier if he were to make a move this summer to either Belgium or a similar level.

If Bair was a couple of years younger, I wouldn't mind seeing him continue in Scotland for another year, but given his age, I would hope he'd challenge himself to a higher level sooner rather than later.

From what I gather, salaries at Motherwell are low. Would he even be making 200k a year? 

I would think that if Motherwell gets a decent offer they'd sell (say a million, a bit more), and Bair would have to consider a contract offer doubling his current salary. Over and above whether it would be good or not for him to stay there. I think it would not, I think it is just the sort of season to move up from.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

From what I gather, salaries at Motherwell are low. Would he even be making 200k a year? 

I would think that if Motherwell gets a decent offer they'd sell (say a million, a bit more), and Bair would have to consider a contract offer doubling his current salary. Over and above whether it would be good or not for him to stay there. I think it would not, I think it is just the sort of season to move up from.

Quite possible, but I just don't see it happening with MLS and TFC in particular.  

Just now, BearcatSA said:

Quite possible, but I just don't see it happening with MLS and TFC in particular.  

For me, after the top 4-5 in Scotland it is too much of a crap shoot. You can't rely on having continuity because teams are so terribly inconsistent. I mean, if he went to Hearts or Hibs, he's earn more, and they are more ambitious. But that is it.

If any of the Old Firm pick up Shankland, or he moves elsewhere, Bair'd be a good replacement. For salary, for his career, though I really have no idea how Hearts play.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For me, after the top 4-5 in Scotland it is too much of a crap shoot. You can't rely on having continuity because teams are so terribly inconsistent. I mean, if he went to Hearts or Hibs, he's earn more, and they are more ambitious. But that is it.

If any of the Old Firm pick up Shankland, or he moves elsewhere, Bair'd be a good replacement. For salary, for his career, though I really have no idea how Hearts play.

Shankland will probably move on.  He would likely triple his wages at Hearts but I can’t see us going for him.  I think the club would go for someone with a longer proven track record.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ah its the changing of the seasons, spring is in the air, a young mans fancy turns to love and V's are clamoring for a guy who just got on track after years of struggling.. to transfer out of the good situation he has gotten himself into.  

Well, at least it is a more refreshing angle from the usual "what top five league should he move to next season?" or, new for this year, "he should be in the Copa squad" storyline after a young prospect has had a decent start to his MLS career five or six matches into the season.

Edited by BearcatSA

I actually don't think a move back to MLS would be the worst thing for him at some point over the next few years. I think he's going to be this generation's version of Lucas Cavalini- bench striker with a unique profile that you toss in the game when you don't have much else going on. I would prefer he doesn't take a spot on a Canadian team, but if a good US MLS team can grab him, that wouldn't be the worst outcome. Liel Abada of Celtic was just sold to Charlotte for like $9M or something. If Nashville or Orlando or someone comes calling, why not?

If I am Bair I am going for the biggest paycheck - wherever it is.   He isn’t clearly destined for the big time and is already 24.  As noted above it looks like he is making around $50-$60,000 CAD per year.   He needs to get paid as much as he can as soon as he can.  It is easy for us to map out a solid developmental career path but he’s got bills to pay.  Grab whatever cash you can man.  

20 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Shankland will probably move on.  He would likely triple his wages at Hearts but I can’t see us going for him.  I think the club would go for someone with a longer proven track record.

If a club like Hearts wants to see more from Bair before moving in, that probably suggests he needs another year at Motherwell. Yes, to Nam's point, you get a solid offer and you go, but he probably needs another year before other clubs come calling. 

His contract expires at the end of next season, so I expect Motherwell will do what they can to retain him, assuming they stay up. That should hopefully result in a significant pay raise. 

https://www.transfermarkt.us/theo-bair/profil/spieler/501709

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

No idea if he manages to crack our squad as a fringe player for the games coming up but I really hope we can find some way to get him involved in the next 6 months or so.   His play really does deserve some sort of acknowledgement and reward at the national level.   

I would be floored if he isn’t in our squad. I think he’s locked down the 3rd striker spot for the friendlies. 

Fun to even have a debate about it though. Couldn’t imagine hearing in 2014 that a striker in the SPL team of the year “might” get called.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

18 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I would be floored if he isn’t in our squad. I think he’s locked down the 3rd striker spot for the friendlies. 

Fun to even have a debate about it though. Couldn’t imagine hearing in 2014 that a striker in the SPL team of the year “might” get called.  

What stands out for me - while I'd have to go back and check the videos, but if my 50yr old memory serves me correctly - a lot of his goals weren't goal-mouth tap-ins.  He really worked to earn them and showed quality to bag them.  He's making things happen, players around him believe in him and he believes in himself.  That's way more valuable than easy tap-ins.  A lot like Kone.

CB's must hate to play against this guy.  Not only is he pretty quick, tricky and a goal threat, but he'll also pound and grind the shit out of you.

Edited by costarg