Jonathan David

Vince193

4 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

At what point do we consider playing with 2 strikers with the National team. Cav and David would be leathal. 

I would suggest playing a 442 against a higher quality team with hoilett and Davies on the wings. Cav and David up front, as we know both still can defend.

It would be cool but if we run that it's Arfield and Hutch (or Piette) in the middle which leaves us potentially getting overrun in MF by better teams. Also we have a lot of good MFs im not sure if I want all of Oso, Kaye, Eustaquio, and others all on the bench. It's a difficult issue to figure out. Unless we just put David on the wing but that's a whole other thing.

I streamed the game today and David was not playing forward.  He was more of an attacking mid, playing behind the forwards although he was in the box at times when Gent had free kicks and corners. When the other team was attacking, David tracked as far back as his own penalty area.  His decision making is really impressive.  In the midfield, he sees options as he gets ready to receive a ball and just makes the play.  

Pretty telling that in a close 2-1 game (3rd goal was in extra time), David wasn't subbed defensively.

To compare David's current 8 league goals this year to other good seasons by Canadian forwards:

- Cavallini also has 8 league goals so far this year. Last year he had 13.  Best was 14 in Uruguay in 2014.

- Rob friend's best year was in 2007 when he scored 17 in B2 (the next year he had 7 in B1).

- Ali Gerba had 10 goal seasons in the third tiers of Germany and England in 2008 and 2009.

- Radzinski had 23 goals in Belgium in 2001. 

19 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Amazing how we’ve forgotten Larin...

I think that's best for him tbh. He is clearly a confidence player but he also had a ton of pressure on his shoulders when he emerged. He was on fire at club level but didnt have the same level of support in the national team but the hope and expectation was still there. 

He absolutely needs a move or consistent playing time with a coach that believes in him. That's been the case for nearly a year since he moved.

It's a shame cavallini wasnt as involved and all the other players that have emerged weren't around to shoulder the weight when Larin first emerged but now he has time to take stock and rebuild himself without being the only shining light under the microscope. 

I actually love the fact he's doing this as a CAM. I think that is a position which could be utilized in several different formations for Canada, as as a way to get our best XI on the field. Canada doesn't really have a CAM; Arfield can but I'm not sure he has the offensive acumen David does. And I think Oso, Esqui, Hutch, etc are more central midfielders.

49 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I actually love the fact he's doing this as a CAM. I think that is a position which could be utilized in several different formations for Canada, as as a way to get our best XI on the field. Canada doesn't really have a CAM; Arfield can but I'm not sure he has the offensive acumen David does. And I think Oso, Esqui, Hutch, etc are more central midfielders.

Historically, we have also had issues connecting the mids and the forwards.  Our strikers tend to get isolated, and balls get pounded at them from the mid or the wings. Things have improved a bit in the last little while, but an effective CAM could be just what we need.

Edited by dyslexic nam

43 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Historically, we have also had issues connecting the mids and the forwards.

Exactly Larin's problem. Plus we went through a period where he and Ricketts would blast tap-ins wide or over the bar. 

Our DM's are going to be so important also with our archilles heel being our defence. Thats why Eustaquio will be such a big addiiton as will Hutch playing on another year or so. Might just give us time to bring on a few of the younger CB's. 

6 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

To compare David's current 8 league goals this year to other good seasons by Canadian forwards:

- Cavallini also has 8 league goals so far this year. Last year he had 13.  Best was 14 in Uruguay in 2014.

- Rob friend's best year was in 2007 when he scored 17 in B2 (the next year he had 7 in B1).

- Ali Gerba had 10 goal seasons in the third tiers of Germany and England in 2008 and 2009.

- Radzinski had 23 goals in Belgium in 2001. 

Olivier Occean 2011-12 season with Greuther Furth in B2, 17 goals.

1 minute ago, Macksam said:

That is some composure for his goal. 

With regards to his first opportunity at the end of the first half with the breakaway, he took it in stride well which was difficult considering the huge bounce the ball took but he just over did it when he touched it past the keeper.

With regards to his first opportunity at the end of the first half with the breakaway, he took it in stride well which was difficult considering the huge bounce the ball took but he just over did it when he touched it past the keeper.

He was the one that cleared the ball in the box for the breakaway 

10 hours ago, Macksam said:

I know! Most players in his position would have just one-timed it as hard as they could.

Equally impressive for me was his pass on the first goal. More than anything else, his speed of thought for the game is far beyond his years.  There were other times in the game when just made simple passes away from pressure  or headers to maintain possession where he knew the options available before he received the ball. 

Going forward, CAM seems to be a much better position given his vision.

Edited by Snowcrash