Jonathan David

Vince193

6 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

I can only speak for Ontario.  Kids are nominated by their clubs to be on a short list to be viewed by the provincial coaches. From there they are supposed to monitor the boys ( can’t speak for the female side ).  Ya right. They watch some of the GTA squads, usually the top teams. That’s what the OPDL was supposed to fix, allowing the provincial coaches to monitor all the kids. From there TFC will scout those provincial kids and from the academies the CSA will pull kids. Really the onus is on the provincial coaches to determine the kids as the CSA doesn’t  get out to non academy cities to rate the boys. And they won’t take anyone who isn’t in the “program”.

Generqlly this is what happens. Not always as there are exceptions to the rule. 

Seems like an OSA issue, not a CSA issue. As much as I would love it I don't think the CSA has the resources to scout multiple age groups across the country. The process seems efficient and logical if the provincial coaches are following up on the names submitted by the clubs. 

It really stresses the importance of a top down approach, which hopefully JH and JdV have been implementing. It has to be flexible enough to accommodate for cases like David where a player decides to chart their own path.

51 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Seems like an OSA issue, not a CSA issue. As much as I would love it I don't think the CSA has the resources to scout multiple age groups across the country. The process seems efficient and logical if the provincial coaches are following up on the names submitted by the clubs. 

It really stresses the importance of a top down approach, which hopefully JH and JdV have been implementing. It has to be flexible enough to accommodate for cases like David where a player decides to chart their own path.

In my experience it doesn’t. And I agree the onus seems to be on the provincial association to scout; they are severely lacking in this area. Going to see a kid once or twice for a few minutes isn’t going to produce the desired results. 

That said, the OSA and the CSA shouldn’t be in the day to day development process. That’s on clubs, who aren’t providing a good enough product. But that’s a discussion for another day.  

Part of our problem in canada is the lack of a reward for finding talent and developing talent. There really hasn’t been any incentive because there isn’t anywhere really to go after U-18 soccer. Now that these top leagues are developing the scouting network will get stronger (as long as relationships in the community are developed). 

In FC Edmonton’s case there is an incentive for local clubs to alert FC Edmonton about their talent, because FC Edmonton will actually provide extra training for young players. The young academy level in Edmonton is a part time setup, where players play for their own local club as well as train with FC Edmonton’s academy. This helps the clubs out for a couple years, then when the player is good enough he transitions full time into FC Edmonton’s reserve team. 

FC Edmonton gives credit to local clubs long after the player has even graduated from the FC Edmonton Academy. For example the CPL signings listed the local clubs that they came from in Edmonton. Little things like that give credit and publicity to local clubs and is sometimes all it takes to develop a better incentive for communication in the community. 

The result of cooperation with a pro team with an academy is better scouting in Edmonton. As the CPL works more and more with local clubs, less players will be passed by at the national level. It will take years to develop but it will happen eventually. 

7 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Was there trickle down compensation to the edmonton clubs with Davies??  And will The ottawa clubs be in line for compensation if David leaves gent eventually?  

The Ottawa clubs will receive compensation as well.  I know that Davies, Henry and Millar's youth clubs received compensation.  Although in the case of Davies I think the Whitecaps passed long some money to Free Footy that they didn't necessarily have to I could be wrong here though.  

Montagliani, in the final month of his four-year run as the president of the CSA before he became the president of CONCACAF, appeared on TSN 690 Montreal radio on April 11. During Tony Marinaro’s The Montreal Forum Show, he asked Montagliani about finding talent outside of the professional academies and getting those players into the program.

“If you think we’re actually missing players, it’s actually not happening. It’s an urban myth,” Montagliani said.

https://juneof86.com/2018/01/09/csa-shocker-zambrano-out-herdman-in/

15 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Montagliani, in the final month of his four-year run as the president of the CSA before he became the president of CONCACAF, appeared on TSN 690 Montreal radio on April 11. During Tony Marinaro’s The Montreal Forum Show, he asked Montagliani about finding talent outside of the professional academies and getting those players into the program.

“If you think we’re actually missing players, it’s actually not happening. It’s an urban myth,” Montagliani said.

That's a scary and depressing level of confidence in that statement.

22 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Ask those on the grassroots level, they’ll tell you a different story. 

39 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I'm not sure of the context because I haven't heard it but if it's as you say then that's idiotic.  Even if you asked the President of Hockey Canada if they were missing players they would say "absolutely, 100%".  It's inevitable, all you can do is lower the percentages by stretching the net as far as you can.  Take hockey for example and our junior national teams - we are missing players because everyone chooses different paths.  The scouts watch the CHL but maybe they don't pick up on the kid that decided to go play prep hockey in Minnesota.  But even then the CHL is a ton of teams - not just 3 clubs.  

With the win Gent goes 6th with one fixture remaining.

They are actually tied for the position, which give them the last spot in the championship round. They play the team they are tied with but ahead of on some goal average criteria (not sure which), Saint Truiden, next week. So if they at least draw, they are into that final round, which also decides UEFA slots.

37 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

With the win Gent goes 6th with one fixture remaining.

They are actually tied for the position, which give them the last spot in the championship round. They play the team they are tied with but ahead of on some goal average criteria (not sure which), Saint Truiden, next week. So if they at least draw, they are into that final round, which also decides UEFA slots.

I believe Saint Truiden has a pair of Japanese Internationals, one of which (Wataru Endo) was extremely impressive in the AFC Asian Cup. He was often their best player on the field, and when he missed a game (the final?) the Japanese really struggled.

I don't know much more about Saint Truiden than that, but I am sure it will be a tough game with a lot on the line. Exactly the kind of game we want David to gain experience in.

Good luck to him and Gent!

Edited by Obinna

I will say even though he is doing well at AM for Gent, and everyone is saying that's his best position, don't forget when he debuted he was put up top and scored 5 in 5 for them. I'm still not 100% on board that his best isn't at striker. He could just be an AM atm because of personnel on the roster.

I think people who have only seen David play for Canada or highlights of his goals don't appreciate how good a distributor he is.  He's a very positive player and  decisive when he receives the ball, unlike some players who've never met a back pass they didn't like.

I think David is best with the ball when he has attackers in front of him so an ideal formation would be Cav as  sole target man and supported by wingers when Canada is attacking, something like a 3-5-1-1 formation.

Edited by Snowcrash

55 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

I think people who have only seen David play for Canada or highlights of his goals don't appreciate how good a distributor he is.  He's a very positive player and  decisive when he receives the ball, unlike some players who've never met a back pass they didn't like.

I think David is best with the ball when he has attackers in front of him so an ideal formation would be Cav as  sole target man and supported by wingers when Canada is attacking, something like a 3-5-1-1 formation.

I agree he’s best when he’s able to get as many touches on the ball. Putting him right in front of the top attacker allows him to create and push forward. I feel one of his greatest strengths is to be able to make a play with the ball, release it and then make an off the ball run into a new spot. 

I think in time, as he gains more experience he will be the type of player that will be given the ability to roam. Allow him to be able to essentially move around where he sees fit. 

Edited by Ottawafan74

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think for level of difficulty and continuity it's Cavallini. 

If we call up Lucas,  David, Davies, Millar, Ariel and Junior that is enough attack vs French Guyana. 

Is that an autocorrected Arfield? Or am I forgetting someone? Or are you actually advocating we call a cartoon mermaid? If she's a dual national, I agree, cap tie her first and ask questions later.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Is that an autocorrected Arfield? Or am I forgetting someone? Or are you actually advocating we call a cartoon mermaid? If she's a dual national, I agree, cap tie her first and ask questions later.

Back in her peak sure but her best days are behind her. I guess form is temporary, class is permanent. 

• 2 weeks later...