Jump to content
Vince193

Jonathan David

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Yeah, most guys would have blasted it out of excitement. That slight feint and dummy to commit everyone reminded me of Kaka. I think David is going to land on a big club soon. 

 

Edit: what is wrong with the quote function in this thread?

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Macksam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of a goal Juan Pablo Angel scored in MLS in 2007 where a ball popped out to him at the edge of the 6 and he made the exact same play.  At the time I was really impressed because this was a class above any striker in MLS who would have instinctively poked at the ball.

The difference is JPA was a 31 year old with a career of experience at high levels.. not a 18/19 year old in his first season as a pro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David is really clever and composed with the ball at his feet. He beats players with subtle feints or delays, and he reads when the opponent is off balance really well. It's great to watch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

It's  a shame his  Ottawa youth team did not get a transfer fee. What a steal for Gent who will make a killing if David keeps playing this way cause his value will keep going up

at least the youth team will get some cash from future transfers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Macksam said:

Yeah, most guys would have blasted it out of excitement. That slight feint and dummy to commit everyone reminded me of Kaka. I think David is going to land on a big club soon. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yeah although I hope he'll stay with Gent for another season. I mean he's getting starts and if can improve on an excellent first season, he'll enter a big club with a lot more credit. Assuming they'll have to pay a big sum of money for the kid. 

 

 

 

Edited by shamrock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I love that this kid flew under the radar until he exploded.  I know some had tracked him (and rated him) but to many of us he was a relatively unknown quantity.  Having these gems turn up is a really, really great development.

This is why I stopped lurking after years and finally joined the site.  Trying to find out who are these kids on the U-17 rosters, and who might have a shot at moving up.  Ottawa fan was saying David was as good or better than Davies right off the bat.  I still wonder how he got ID'd so young by europe (seems he had something lined up and spurned the  MLS academies).  Davies little vid was great but I am sure there could be a 5min cmnt promo vid about Davids story which would be just as interesting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to see David spend at least one more season with Gent.

Let's see if he can improve on this incredibly successful debut season, or even win some silverware.

If he does both, his stock will really skyrocket!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I want to see David spend at least one more season with Gent.

Let's see if he can improve on this incredibly successful debut season, or even win some silverware.

If he does both, his stock will really skyrocket!

Yeah, I get the idea of wanting "big club" players, but it seems like lots of folks immediately start hoping for a transfer as  soon as one of our players starts getting positive results.  David is in a quality league, playing for a quality team.  I would rather he stay put for at least a year, and get tons of starting minutes, than move to a top club and have to start fighting for sub minutes because of competition.  That too can be a valuable experience (a la Davies) but there is absolutely nothing wrong with David's club situation right now.  Keep playing, keep training hard and keep putting up numbers.  The rest will take care of itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

This is why I stopped lurking after years and finally joined the site.  Trying to find out who are these kids on the U-17 rosters, and who might have a shot at moving up.  Ottawa fan was saying David was as good or better than Davies right off the bat.  I still wonder how he got ID'd so young by europe (seems he had something lined up and spurned the  MLS academies).  Davies little vid was great but I am sure there could be a 5min cmnt promo vid about Davids story which would be just as interesting.  

Yeah exactly someone had said that Jonathan was on the same tier.

 

hard to believe that there’s only more coming, apparently Kameron Habiboulah 03 is touted as the next Davies by the Whitecaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 9:48 AM, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I get the idea of wanting "big club" players, but it seems like lots of folks immediately start hoping for a transfer as  soon as one of our players starts getting positive results.  David is in a quality league, playing for a quality team.  I would rather he stay put for at least a year, and get tons of starting minutes, than move to a top club and have to start fighting for sub minutes because of competition.  That too can be a valuable experience (a la Davies) but there is absolutely nothing wrong with David's club situation right now.  Keep playing, keep training hard and keep putting up numbers.  The rest will take care of itself.

In an ideal world I would have all our players playing in the 3-4 best club in what ever league.  And playing in the best league in which they could get starting minutes and prove effective.... if that’s not too wordy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to give you an ideal of the quality of the Jupiler Pro League in Belgium and the type of competition David is playing against every week as a starter,  here's an article on player salaries:

Pro footballers in Belgium earn more than €20,000 per month (https://www.thebulletin.be/pro-footballers-belgium-earn-more-eu20000-month)

A football player in Belgium’s first-class Jupiler Pro League earns an average annual salary of about €253,586 before taxes, writes Het Nieuwsblad. The amount includes basic wages, group insurance premiums, holiday pay and a 13th month.

Anderlecht players are the highest paid in the league by far, with an average gross annual salary of €600,000, followed by Standard Liège (€366,000) and Club Brugge (€365,000). The salaries have increased by 60% over the past six years, from €158,000 to nearly €254,000.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

In an ideal world I would have all our players playing in the 3-4 best club in what ever league.  And playing in the best league in which they could get starting minutes and prove effective.... if that’s not too wordy. 

Of course.  We all would - eventually.  But this isn't some idealized future state.  It is a player who is currently playing really well in a very respectable league.  It is the idea that he should immediately seek a move to a bigger club at this particular time that I would debate.  Constant disruption in an attempt to attain the next rung on the club ladder may not be the ideal strategy.  Better, IMO, to stay at a club like Gent for at least another year and lock down a role as one of the first names on the team sheet.  If David can accomplish that, rather than targeting a move in the short term, I think he will be better off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 12:21 PM, Bison44 said:

This is why I stopped lurking after years and finally joined the site.  Trying to find out who are these kids on the U-17 rosters, and who might have a shot at moving up.  Ottawa fan was saying David was as good or better than Davies right off the bat.  I still wonder how he got ID'd so young by europe (seems he had something lined up and spurned the  MLS academies).  Davies little vid was great but I am sure there could be a 5min cmnt promo vid about Davids story which would be just as interesting.  

Exactly. It was my understanding David was considered top 2 at the 2000 age level but has the better long term potential. From what I’ve seen in the last few years that seems spot on. I find David to be more intellectual player who relies on more than just his physical talent to succeed. Not saying Davies can’t be the better player but it seems David is further ahead in his understanding of the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David's soccer IQ is outstanding for a 19 year old who is getting regular minutes on a strong Europa level team.  People only looking at stat sheets and seeing he's the top goal scorer on a team when he has maybe half the minutes of people with fewer goals might think he's a one-dimensional player with tunnel vision for the net and nothing else.

He understands space so well in the attacking zone.  Also, he sees plays developing, like on Gent's second goal where he received the ball outside the box and laid it off immediately for a player who had already started his run down the right channel.

In the same game, he cleared a corner by bombing the ball down the field to send a player on a breakaway and it was only because of a horrifically bad first touch that the ball ran too far because by all rights the player should have been able to round the keeper.  It may have looked like a desperation clearance but in the highlights, the Gent player was already breaking away downfield as the ball was dropping to David.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

I love that David carved out his own development path for himself.  No MLS required. 

 

 

 

There’s plenty of talent out there. Not every kid or family can choose the path of an MLS academy. Really wish the CSA and more importantly the OSA would realize this and get out to beat the bushes. It ain’t exactly splitting atoms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

There’s plenty of talent out there. Not every kid or family can choose the path of an MLS academy. Really wish the CSA and more importantly the OSA would realize this and get out to beat the bushes. It ain’t exactly splitting atoms. 

What is the process for non-MLS academy kids now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only speak for Ontario.  Kids are nominated by their clubs to be on a short list to be viewed by the provincial coaches. From there they are supposed to monitor the boys ( can’t speak for the female side ).  Ya right. They watch some of the GTA squads, usually the top teams. That’s what the OPDL was supposed to fix, allowing the provincial coaches to monitor all the kids. From there TFC will scout those provincial kids and from the academies the CSA will pull kids. Really the onus is on the provincial coaches to determine the kids as the CSA doesn’t  get out to non academy cities to rate the boys. And they won’t take anyone who isn’t in the “program”.

Generqlly this is what happens. Not always as there are exceptions to the rule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...