Jonathan David

Vince193

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Good movement from David in the box on that one.

That's 7 league goals in 17 games by my count.

This is the part of his game that is so impressive for a 19 yr old. He seems to get into the right spaces either for himself or his mates. He combines really well with the players around him including the games with the CMNT

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Good movement from David in the box on that one.

That's 7 league goals in 17 games by my count.

Very nice.  Sitting off, offering an angle and then just a wee bit of a ghost in at the end.   

Unselfish in the lead up, creating space for the greater good and getting the favour back with interest in the end.  Yeah, nice.  Definitively showing some awareness.   

27 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

If this kid can keep progressing and match or overtake the likes of Weah and Sargent, it will be a huge boost for us in CONCACAF.

The future CAN v USA rivalry is exciting, but as well as some of our kids are progressing we need to accept that the States are loaded with young stars. All they need is a competent coach, which fortunately for us I dont think they have. 

Are there any good  discussion boards for the Gent team?  They'll probably be in Flemish rather than French since the city is in the Flemish region.  My son is working in Lille for another year and I had no idea of the language dynamics in Belgium until I visited places like Gent, Bruges, Brussels, etc.

In Flemish places like Gent, even though most people are reasonably fluent in French, you're much better off speaking English if you don't know Flemish.

Basically the northern part speak Flemish (Dutch) and the southern half French. But there's also a part in the east where German is the official language (die Ostkantons). Brusses is official bi-lingual, it being the Flemish capital, but is basically French-speaking. 

My experience is that most Flemish speak French very well, but the Wallons (Francophones) barely understand Dutch. Both speak English though. 

9 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

David is averaging a goal every 116 minutes in league play. I looked up Radzinkski's stats for comparison and he averaged a goal every 109 minutes in his final year in Belgium when he led the league with 23 goals.

And then he went to Everton??  Hmmmmmm....

5 hours ago, Alex D said:

The future CAN v USA rivalry is exciting, but as well as some of our kids are progressing we need to accept that the States are loaded with young stars. All they need is a competent coach, which fortunately for us I dont think they have. 

Agreed, the USA are way more loaded with young stars than Canada. Check their call-ups, it's very impressive actually. 

But like you said, let's see what they do with it...

7 hours ago, Alex D said:

We've got a handful of promising young players, the U.S has an absolute boatload of them right now.

5 hours ago, Jith12 said:

David is now tied for the club lead for goals in all competitions with 9. This is despite playing 1230 fewer minutes than the guy he is tied with. To say he's been prolific is an understatement.

And to think, this thread (and his time at Gent) was only started  a year ago.  Lets hope we see another CDN have a breakout year like David did last year.  

22 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

We've got a handful of promising young players, the U.S has an absolute boatload of them right now.

At the end of the day 11 players on the pitch.. we are in a very good position to compete with them head to head.  Guys like Davies and David are not just good Canadian prospects .. they’re world class prospects.  Also Tabla and Millar..

Depth means nothing after a certain extent.. look at Belgium vs England or Brazil.  We need to be the Belgium here.

Edited by Keegan

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

At the end of the day 11 players on the pitch.. we are in a very good position to compete with them head to head.  Guys like Davies and David are not just good Canadian prospects .. they’re world class prospects.  Also Tabla and Millar..

Depth means nothing after a certain extent.. look at Belgium vs England or Brazil.  We need to be the Belgium here.

True, but none of Davies, David, Tabla, Millar are defenders or non-winger midfielders. 

Quick list of American (non-MLS only!) players that aren't forwards, all 21 or younger:
Carter-Vickers
Robinson
Adams
McKennie
De la Torre
Amon
Palmer-Brown
etc.......

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Tabla and Miller are still prospects, not playing regular 1st team football in top leagues. Contrast that with players like Weston McKennie.

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

True, but none of Davies, David, Tabla, Millar are defenders or non-winger midfielders. 

Quick list of American (non-MLS only!) players that aren't forwards, all 21 or younger:
Carter-Vickers
Robinson
Adams
McKennie
De la Torre
Amon
Palmer-Brown
etc.......

Canadians:

Davies

David

Godinho

Millar

Brault-Guillard

Tabla

You cannot make an argument that they are head and shoulders above.  Just like we couldn’t make that argument in hockey.. 

36 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Okay and contrast that with De La Torre.. you can’t suck and blow 

How many young Americans have played in the Bundesliga this year? Not been on the books and appeared for the reserve team or youth team, but played?

Haji Wright - Schalke

Josh Sargent - Werder Bremen

Christian Pulisic - Dortmund

Weston McKennie - Schalke

Tyler Adams - Leipzeg

I'll just start there. How many players do we have playing in a top 4 league this year?

1 hour ago, Soccerpro said:

How many young Americans have played in the Bundesliga this year? Not been on the books and appeared for the reserve team or youth team, but played?

Haji Wright - Schalke

Josh Sargent - Werder Bremen

Christian Pulisic - Dortmund

Weston McKennie - Schalke

Tyler Adams - Leipzeg

I'll just start there. How many players do we have playing in a top 4 league this year?

I think Americans are the fourth or fifth largest foreign contingent in the Bundesliga. I can't recall exactly how many, but I would be comfortable with saying double digits.

Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Wood, Morales, Brooks, Johnson, Chandler, Sargent, Wright. Might be missing somebody

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think Americans are the fourth or fifth largest foreign contingent in the Bundesliga. I can't recall exactly how many, but I would be comfortable with saying double digits.

Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Wood, Morales, Brooks, Johnson, Chandler, Sargent, Wright. Might be missing somebody

Bayern just signed Taylor Booth from RSL academy. Bayern bought Chris Richards from FC Dallas for 1.5 million recently. He played on their preseason tour.

Gio Reyna was probably the most hyped USSDA player the last two seasons and recently signed with Dortmund. 

Nick Taitague has an excellent chance to make his Bundesliga debut with Schalke before the end of the season.

18 year old Alex Mendez tore up the u20 Concacaf tournament last year, won player of the tournament and joined SC Freiburg in October. He is outstanding.

Those are a few prospects in Germany.

Does our entire system have anything that compares to what the Americans have just in germany?

Sergino Dest just signed his first pro contract for Ajax after coming through their system.

Ledezma left Real Monarchs for PSV for last year.

Zach steffan was bought by Man City recently.

Timothy Weah has played in League 1 with PSG. He recently went on loan with Celtic and has scored goals immediately.

Reggie Cannon is probably the best RB in MLS and he's 20! Could you imagine how much bragging we would be doing if he was our player?

Edited by Soccerpro

Obviously the Americans have more depth and more prospects. However, you can't play them all at once, so that depth only counts for so much (not that I wouldn't love to be as deep).

I wouldn't trade Davies for anyone in their pool - maybe Pulisic. Maybe. After that, I would put David right up there with Weah and Sargent. Scoring 7 goals in Belgium as an 18/19 year old is no joke. I know the Bundesliga is stronger than Belgium, but I wouldn't bet on Sargent reaching 7 (he's got two so far). I wouldn't be surprised if David hits 10. As for Weah, he's already doing great for Celtic while on loan, but Celtic...Gent...it's kinda the same level more less. Probably Weah would score at the pace of David, but Weah is really a top notch prospect, so we should be proud of David as well. I still think Millar flies under the radar a little bit, but if he really has a strong 6 months at Kilmarnock who are chasing the title (along with Rangers), he'd be in the same category as well. Ditto for Tabla if he does well on loan.