2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Canadians:

Davies

David

Godinho

Millar

Brault-Guillard

Tabla

You cannot make an argument that they are head and shoulders above.  Just like we couldn’t make that argument in hockey.. 

@Keegan my list was specifically defenders and non-winger midfielders. I was trying to make a point that in addition to really high-end young players like Pusilic, Weah, Sargent, etc, the States also have young players playing in the back and midfield that Canada can't really match, like Carter-Vickers, Robinson, Adams, McKennie, De la Torre, Amon, Palmer-Brown, etc.

Also I'm not Brault-Guillard really belongs on these lists. Or if so, he'd be at the bottom...

Anyway, not to say Canada doesn't have some great young players, just not as many as the US, which really shouldn't be surprising.

10 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Bayern just signed Taylor Booth from RSL academy. Bayern bought Chris Richards from FC Dallas for 1.5 million recently. He played on their preseason tour.

Gio Reyna was probably the most hyped USSDA player the last two seasons and recently signed with Dortmund. 

Nick Taitague has an excellent chance to make his Bundesliga debut with Schalke before the end of the season.

18 year old Alex Mendez tore up the u20 Concacaf tournament last year, won player of the tournament and joined SC Freiburg in October. He is outstanding.

Those are a few prospects in Germany.

Does our entire system have anything that compares to what the Americans have just in germany?

No we do not. The Americans have many more prospects in the pipeline than we do.

The thing is though, a lot of their prospects turn out to be respectable to average players. Chris Richards, for example, will very likely never become a regular with Bayern. Miazga is another one who suffered from signing for a big club. Chelsea perpetually have him out on loan, severally affecting his development. Or, perhaps he was never a Chelsea level prospect (which anyone with half a brain could see). Then there is your Russell Canouse type, who is no better than Piette (yet gets so much more attention).

All in all, I think our much more shallow pool of players will prove difficult for them in the future. Uruguay always have a shallow player pool, but their players are always in good environments and they always give Argentina and Brazil a battle, relying on the magic of one or two special players. I fancy us to be the Uruguay as we take on the Argentina and Brazil of our confederation.  

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I wouldn't trade Davies for anyone in their pool - maybe Pulisic. Maybe. After that, I would put David right up there with Weah and Sargent. Scoring 7 goals in Belgium as an 18/19 year old is no joke. I know the Bundesliga is stronger than Belgium, but I wouldn't bet on Sargent reaching 7 (he's got two so far).

To be fair, we love to point out David's goal-per-minute, well Sarget has 2 league goals in the Bundesliga in 120 minutes as an 18 year old. He has yet to start a game. He spent most of the season with Werder Bremen II, scoring 7 goals in 12 appearances.

I could see him hitting 7 if they give him minutes in the second half of the season. 

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

To be fair, we love to point out David's goal-per-minute, well Sarget has 2 league goals in the Bundesliga in 120 minutes as an 18 year old. He has yet to start a game. He spent most of the season with Werder Bremen II, scoring 7 goals in 12 appearances.

I could see him hitting 7 if they give him minutes in the second half of the season. 

Sargent has played 6 games now, not 2. He scored in his first two games, but hasn't scored since. Now Japanese international striker Osako returns from the Asian cup, which will cut into Sargent's minutes (and he has been coming off the bench to begin with). The reason why I don't see Sargent hitting 7 is precisely because I don't think he'll get those minutes ahead of Osako.

Edited by Obinna

@Bertuzzi44 sorry, I see your point now. 

They definitely kill us in prospects on the backend.  Although, if we can get Tomori that will give us a prospect on the level of Carter-Vickers.  Hopefully Cornelius blossoms in MLS and we can find another guy or two and I like our chances of having a solid backline for years to come.  

The point is that we are in a very good position to compete with the USA for the foreseeable future.  

18 hours ago, Keegan said:

@Bertuzzi44 sorry, I see your point now. 

They definitely kill us in prospects on the backend.  Although, if we can get Tomori that will give us a prospect on the level of Carter-Vickers.  Hopefully Cornelius blossoms in MLS and we can find another guy or two and I like our chances of having a solid backline for years to come.  

The point is that we are in a very good position to compete with the USA for the foreseeable future.  

That's a very big complement to CCV....and I don't even rate Tomori!

Edited by Obinna

On 2/3/2019 at 10:55 AM, Alex D said:

I find it so amusing that nobody knows who this kid is except a couple hundred Canadian nerds and all of Belgium. 

Well it’s probably the same as the many Canadian basketball players who are playing in European leagues that are playing well but apart from hardcore basketball nerds nobody have heard of them. Unless you are playing in the NBA then no one will know of you no matter how good you are playing in any particular European league. So for a Canadian soccer player unless you are playing for one of the major soccer leagues in Europe then most likely no one apart from hardcore will know who you are, the only exception might be a Canadian player playing in the MLS that is playing well, other than that the casual soccer fan will not know who you are unfortunately.

Edited by 1996

54 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

3 caps and 3 goals. I sure hope more than a couple hundred Canadians have heard of him.

I dont know, look at Atiba.  Best of his generation and get very little recognition in canada. 

Everytime I mention David to anyone they go yeah that young kid that was the refugee?  Who went to germany??  I guess thats how it goes for soccer players in a hockey country.  

David's soccer IQ and his understanding of space if off the charts for someone who's just turned 19.  It's like he had an uncle or dad who was a high end soccer coach who drilled him on the nuances of the game through countless hours of video.

Unlike Davies, David's athleticism doesn't jump off the page but he just seems to know where he needs to be for that final touch.  When he was reeling off those goals at the start of the season, I thought he was an out and out poacher, albeit a very good one, but his awareness of space inside the box is really beyond his years.

17 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

David's soccer IQ and his understanding of space if off the charts for someone who's just turned 19.  It's like he had an uncle or dad who was a high end soccer coach who drilled him on the nuances of the game through countless hours of video.

Unlike Davies, David's athleticism doesn't jump off the page but he just seems to know where he needs to be for that final touch.  When he was reeling off those goals at the start of the season, I thought he was an out and out poacher, albeit a very good one, but his awareness of space inside the box is really beyond his years.

David does have high level athleticism.

He’s always played an attacking role, either up front, behind the forwards or coming through the mid. At an early age he never seemed to rely just on his athleticism to get by. His soccer sense continued to develop and was always known for his late runs or moving into the right spot. When you see a kid at 12 or 13 doing that you know he’s special. 

Edited by Ottawafan74

• 3 weeks later...