Jonathan David

Vince193

They don't always play the most liquid football, but there is something to admire about the will and belief of the Lille side (for the most part).

I thought David looked sluggish for lots of the match, which given his recent injury is understandable. Even still, I thought he made numerous efficient and smart runs, even when he was gassing.

Lille actually has a decent shot at winning this, somehow. The average position of their remaining opponents is 10. While PSG have 3 cup games and the average position of the remaining 4 games is 9. Monaco has 1 cup game and the most difficult domestic schedule at 6.75. Interestingly, 5th plays Lens plays all 3. Lyon is 6 points back, so with 4 to go, Lille should be assured of a Champions League spot.

Also worth noting that Lillie have 1 win and 1 tie against all thetether top 4 teams this year.

The draw actually had them out of Champions, incredibly. So that was a key result. I also found their play 2nd half was much better, more determined, and they even proved they could dominate a good rival with possession and make some decent decisions on the field.

The point has to be to take that mentality into the first halves of all remaining games---I think I am also thinking about Barça as I write ;)

Lille’s remaining league matches are against Nice (9th), Lens (5th), Angers (12th) and St Etienne (14th).   Importantly, none of those teams really have anything left to play for except a bit of pride.  The top pair won’t make a European spot and the bottom pair are safe from relegation.  From a Lille perspective, they are all very winnable games - they just have to maintain the focus and intensity a bit longer.  

I know folks complain about Lille’s style of play (it frustrates me too), but it would be pretty amazing to have David hoist the Ligue 1 trophy in his first season there, being among the top scorers (he is just one goal behind Yilmaz for second) and having scored some absolutely crucial goals (including the famous PSG winner).  

Damn I hope they pull it off.  

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Lille’s remaining league matches are against Nice (9th), Lens (5th), Angers (12th) and St Etienne (14th).   Importantly, none of those teams really have anything left to play for except a bit of pride.  The top pair won’t make a European spot and the bottom pair are safe from relegation.  From a Lille perspective, they are all very winnable games - they just have to maintain the focus and intensity a bit longer.  

I know folks complain about Lille’s style of play (it frustrates me too), but it would be pretty amazing to have David hoist the Ligue 1 trophy in his first season there, being among the top scorers (he is just one goal behind Yilmaz for second) and having scored some absolutely crucial goals (including the famous PSG winner).  

Damn I hope they pull it off.  

Only issue with this is Lille performs better vs the top clubs and has tripped on many of the weaker teams.

Yes, zero confidence in Lille but this was a monumental win mentally and more to the point it is all still in their hands. They seem very much together as a team even if they don't play like it sometimes. Here is hoping they can grind across the line. 

Still a chance for to have  German, Turkish, Scottish and French league winners in the Canada camp come June. 

5 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Yes, zero confidence in Lille but this was a monumental win mentally and more to the point it is all still in their hands. They seem very much together as a team even if they don't play like it sometimes. Here is hoping they can grind across the line. 

Still a chance for to have  German, Turkish, Scottish and French league winners in the Canada camp come June. 

Also, James would be a Danish league winner as he played this season for Midtjylland. 

11 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Lille-Lens is "le Derby du Nord". They're each others biggest rivals and newly promoted Lens is on a 14 game unbeaten streak in the league. It will not be an easy game.

And contrary to what was posted above Lens is indeed battling for a spot in Europe.

15 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

And contrary to what was posted above Lens is indeed battling for a spot in Europe.

Only in the most technical sense.  Lens is 11 points behind 4th placed Lyon with 4 games left - and 3 of those games are against Lille, PSG and Monaco.  Lens would have to win all 4 and Lyon would have to lose all 4 of theirs.  I guess I don’t consider them to have much of a realistic chance.  I concede that they may feel differently however.