Jonathan David

Vince193

42 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Just catching up now, absolute joke it was only a yellow and Davies a few weeks back was a red. I'm triggered. 

Here is hoping to a speedy recovery. 

If I were president of the CSA I would have called the Ligue or FFF offices and made a public statement. Protecting our players, "ça c'est la votre responsibilité". 

Also to pressure them on respecting our WC qualifying campaign. 

You can see why I'm not on the CSA. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If I were president of the CSA I would have called the Ligue or FFF offices and made a public statement. Protecting our players, "ça c'est la votre responsibilité". 

Also to pressure them on respecting our WC qualifying campaign. 

You can see why I'm not on the CSA. 

We could probably use a bit more assertiveness within our national association.  

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

They play Metz today.

Wonder if David can recover by the 25th for the Lyon game

Fortunately for Lille they have other strikers who have to step up. Yilmaz was good before his injury but has not reconnected yet with his previous form. 

I don't mind that David gets to rest a bit, better heal properly.

David was obviously sidelined, but Lille beat Metz 2-0 with goals from Yilmaz and Celik. That gives the a 6 point lead on PSG, who have a game in hand and play Strasbourg tomorrow.

Lyon and Monaco round out the top 4.
Lille play Lyon on the 25th.  Lyon also play Monaco one more time during the run-in.  I think that is the only other clash among the top 4.  Gonna be a tight finish but that win against PSG was pretty crucial.  

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

I hope Lille win the title even more now because the hobbling David goal against PSG would go down in complete folklore in Lille history

This. Can’t be understated the amount of big goals he scored this season. Essentially all his goals were very meaningful. To be fair, Lille didn’t have many blowout victories but he did find the net against some of their top rivals. 

Big moment player.

Lille is a team

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I watched a bit of the first half. Metz dominated. Still can't believe Lille might actually pull this off.

I find Lille is a team very comfortable playing without the ball. It's actually quite soothing to watch them. Their defending is quite cerebral. They don't get into serious trouble too often. 

Maybe if there were away crowds, they would get more nervous and anxious being under pressure so much.

Does David have magic ankles? How has he recovered so quickly from a ruptured ligament? I wonder if Galtier was playing some 4D chess and making it seem more serious in hopes to get a retroactive ban for the PSG player. Every little advantage helps...

Feel free to call me crazy, but for a long time I have felt like there has been a noticeable difference in sports injury terminology from Europe vs. North America, with European (often translated) injuries sounding more serious. For example, we may use the term 'pulled muscle' while they would use 'torn muscle' for the same injury. In this case, we may use 'severe ankle sprain' but they use 'ruptured ankle ligament' (I do understand this may still be quick recovery time for a 'severe ankle sprain').

I'm no doctor or anything, but just a feeling I've gotten over the years. Has anyone else noticed this? I swear there have a number of times I've read about a soccer player's injury and thought "Wow that sounds like a season ender" only for the player to come back in a couple weeks.

If you're looking for a deeper dive into Lille past & present/on and off the pitch, Football Today had a good podcast this week:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mb290YmFsbHRvZGF5LmxpYnN5bi5jb20vcnNz/episode/Y2Y3MmZkZjMtODQ4MC00ZjIxLWEwMDctM2ZmOWQzYzNlYmRl?sa=X&ved=0CAUQkfYCahkKEwiYqoG2sPLvAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQ-_wB

The video they reference where Lille fans storm the pitch and attack the players is this:

3 hours ago, El Diego said:

Feel free to call me crazy, but for a long time I have felt like there has been a noticeable difference in sports injury terminology from Europe vs. North America, with European (often translated) injuries sounding more serious. For example, we may use the term 'pulled muscle' while they would use 'torn muscle' for the same injury. In this case, we may use 'severe ankle sprain' but they use 'ruptured ankle ligament' (I do understand this may still be quick recovery time for a 'severe ankle sprain').

I'm no doctor or anything, but just a feeling I've gotten over the years. Has anyone else noticed this? I swear there have a number of times I've read about a soccer player's injury and thought "Wow that sounds like a season ender" only for the player to come back in a couple weeks.

In technical medical language it is not the case, but it is true what you are saying in common parlance. Here, some 12 years ago, rompí el tendón de aquiles...I broke my Achilles tendon, which would be a total snap or severing. But "all" I did was tear it. Still a terrible injury. I was dumb enough to think I could get back to normal in half a year, when in fact I have never properly healed.

I think there is something else, which is that clubs have no obligation to say the truth about an injury. It is between the person and his doctor, and a private issue for the club. So they do not make precise medical statements.

Another factor: these kids are amazing physical specimens and recover very fast. In late February Pedri came off injured, and they said he had pulled his left soleus and would be out for the next game at least. Two days later he was training, 48 hours. Many are not only are able to play through certain kinds of injuries, but in fact do heal very quickly. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I don't know if we really fully appreciated what David did against Paris. Never mind the fact that he was injured while doing so, but he scored against one of the best keepers in the world in a team with two of the biggest and most expensive players in the world, in one of the most important games of the season. Doing that at age 21 just shows that he really is the Iceman and that he can score in any game against any opponent. We should qualify for 2022 and if we do, I expect David to be scoring in Qatar. He's proven that he can score against basically anyone, on any stage. Finally, we have a striker who can deliver the goods when it matters.