Jonathan David

Vince193

27 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Only in the most technical sense.  Lens is 11 points behind 4th placed Lyon with 4 games left - and 3 of those games are against Lille, PSG and Monaco.  Lens would have to win all 4 and Lyon would have to lose all 4 of theirs.  I guess I don’t consider them to have much of a realistic chance.  I concede that they may feel differently however.  

At the very least they should be motivated to fight tooth and nail against two of Lille's rivals, so long as they mathematically remain in contention. Do they play PSG and Monaco before Lille?

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

At the very least they should be motivated to fight tooth and nail against two of Lille's rivals, so long as they mathematically remain in contention. Do they play PSG and Monaco before Lille?

They play PSG next weekend when Lille play Nice.  Lens could be mathematically eliminated by the time we play them the week after.  

22 minutes ago, archer21 said:

If PSG or Monaco win the Cup, the 5th place team qualifies for Europa I think.

I believe 5th place automatically qualifies for Europa and if PSG or Monaco win the cup then 6th qualifies for Europe as well (though that may be for the new 3rd tier tournament).

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

From Wikipedia:

A8777DAA-33EB-4CE4-AC93-394E929F0D20.jpeg

Yeah that’s where I looked first but Coupe de la Ligue doesn’t exist anymore so I’m not sure if they just don’t get a 6th team or if that goes to the next best team in the league or what.

1 hour ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

Whether or not these are real links I'm so pleased with the Jonathan David story.

Think about this 5 years ago. 

21 year old Canadian scores 10+ goals in his first season for Ligue 1 leaders after 30M euro transfer. 

This after player turns down youth international football offer from higher ranked team in the country he was born in.

Pinch me. 

3 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

Whether or not these are real links I'm so pleased with the Jonathan David story.

Think about this 5 years ago. 

21 year old Canadian scores 10+ goals in his first season for Ligue 1 leaders after 30M euro transfer. 

This after player turns down youth international football offer from higher ranked team in the country he was born in.

Pinch me. 

Not sure he’s good enough for United, also is there any actual confirmation that he turned down the USA ?

11 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Not sure he’s good enough for United, also is there any actual confirmation that he turned down the USA ?

He's got the potential to be good enough for any top club IMO. I think he would actually produce a lot more for a club like United, an offensive team that can provide actual service to him.

I could see him making him a move this summer. A few months ago I would have expected him to stay at Lille for another year but I think with Arsenal, United and Liverpool all needing to bolster their front lines, him being linked to them all and Lille needing cash, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he made the move.

30 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

It's a 2 year old article, but says (paraphrasing) after a call up to the US U20s by Tab Ramos:

Canada is the country where I grew up.  They welcomed me and I owe it to them to play for them, to fight for them. 

8 minutes ago, frmr said:

FourFourTwo running it now, that's a big publication so this one gaining some legs.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/manchester-united-transfer-news-red-devils-and-arsenal-keen-on-lille-striker-jonathan-david

That article also mentions Bayern as a team who've had previous interest. Interesting they'd single them out from the multitude of clubs who showed interest in David. 

There were fans on the Bayern forums who were unhappy that David said his ultimate goal was to play in England. They rightfully don't see their club as a pitstop, so their attitude to the links were for him to get stuffed. 

But with Choupo Moting the only viable back up to Lewandowski, and the Davies factor, perhaps those fans would forgive David for those comments. 

Whether David gets the playing time he needs at Bayern though, I am not sure. Despite the mess that Arsenal is in, I think that'd be my preference. He'd likely play a ton and if he can score double digits for them, it could set him up for another move the following season. And if he ends up spending multiple seasons at Arsenal, well let's just say there are worse clubs he could be at.

24 minutes ago, Macksam said:

He's got the potential to be good enough for any top club IMO. I think he would actually produce a lot more for a club like United, an offensive team that can provide actual service to him.

Agreed. Let's not forget he's only 21 and is far from the finished article. A U21 leading the line for the (potential) french champion can go anywhere in their career.

The other thing I want to mention is that Lille may be very happy to sell David on, not only because he would he get them the biggest fee, but all signs point to them being able to squeeze another year out of Yilmaz, whose probably the hero of the season for Lille. 

The plan was always to sell him on anyways, and they need money now. In an ideal world they'd perhaps wait another season to see if David can further increase his value, but he's hot now and nobody can predict the future, so I think they sell him in this offseason, perhaps for 40-50M euros.

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, sebdeserio said:

Imo the right price after 1 year would have to be 50 million + and I don't think his season justifies that especially post COVID, as good as his 2021 has been.

Agreed. That's why I am thinking the 40-50 range. I can't see anyone paying anymore than that. I also think Lille would take low 40s. It doesn't sound like they are in the position to be greedy. They'll still make +10M. Yilmaz can definitely lead the line for another season. Seems likely to me he'll be sold, along with Ikone and Botman. 

If I were Lille I would keep Bamba and Sanches, if I could. The keeper too could probably fetch them decent money, so that'll be interesting to see what happens there.

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

It's a 2 year old article, but says (paraphrasing) after a call up to the US U20s by Tab Ramos:

Canada is the country where I grew up.  They welcomed me and I owe it to them to play for them, to fight for them. 

Yea I just read it now. 

to my knowledge they didn’t know about him though until he was called to us. People here knew of him, and he had already played for Canada. What I’m saying that we put him on the US radar through our YNT, otherwise they didn’t know about him.

I read this article back then and missed that quote. Glad he turned them down.