Julian Dunn-Johnson

badname22

It tells me the TFC still has their heads up their asses.  How could he look decent with Valor last year...and then not get a sniff when we needed a CB in a meaningless game on the road??  Unless they have already decided to cut him at the end of the year...but they should cut Zav and Morrow is retiring so even then it makes no sense?? What would he have done...scored 2 own goals to be worse than Zav??  I guess you cant throw out all the yooung kids at once, but I still wish he would get into a game before the year is done.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Thought he looked good. He made some key challenges that saved some chances. Head a header that missed. Passing didn't seem to be accurate though. For a first MLS start it went decently well I think. 

Sofascore has him at a 7.2. (2 clearances, 1 interception, 3 tackles)

It’s his second, first start in 3 years thoigj 

I only watched parts of the game, but it seemed like some forward was always sneaking by him using his blind spot.  So, it didn't look to me like he was doing that well.  Maybe I just happened to turn to that channel just at the wrong time, though.

7 hours ago, rkomar said:

I only watched parts of the game, but it seemed like some forward was always sneaking by him using his blind spot.  So, it didn't look to me like he was doing that well.  Maybe I just happened to turn to that channel just at the wrong time, though.

Maybe I’m wrong but the way I look at especially defenders,  is that if you went 90 minutes against a team that was playing at home in front of a loud a pretty big crowd that needed the 3 points and they only scored a goal because your keeper screwed up then you probably had a decent game . Dunn made no bone head mistakes he did his job , I don’t remember any times  where players clearly got around him . In terms of size the guy is a beast and for me , I know soccer is not a sport where how big and tall you are matters as much,  but at center back I want my  center backs to be big . I like what I saw from Dunn and hopefully he can get better and improve but for a first game in so many years of not playing with the first team , he did good.

Edited by SoccMan

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Perez seems to always make these comments about one of the TFC youngsters after he finally plays them in a game, practically making it sound like he had absolutely no idea how good or talented they were prior to the match.

But I have to admit he is it not wrong with his assessment of Dunn in this game , it kind of  reminds me of my impression after seeing Kennedy play in his first game with our national team .

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Perez seems to always make these comments about one of the TFC youngsters after he finally plays them in a game, practically making it sound like he had absolutely no idea how good or talented they were prior to the match.

Thank you.  That is the part that annoyed the shit out of me.  

“Oh, look at that.  It turns out [insert player X] was good after all.  Maybe I should have given him some more playing time in meaningful games throughout the season…”

It just comes across poorly - especially when considered in the context of the criticisms that have been discussed here.  

Perez seems to like to pump up his players in the press regardless of how well they play.

(Not saying that Dunn played poorly, just that I wouldn't expect him to say Dunn was awful even if it was true.)

39 minutes ago, RS said:

Perez seems to like to pump up his players in the press regardless of how well they play.

(Not saying that Dunn played poorly, just that I wouldn't expect him to say Dunn was awful even if it was true.)

Agreed. You have to see the interview to really have the full context too. If he was specifically asked about the player, of course he’s gonna say good things. He’s not gonna say that he was garbage. If he brought the player up without being specifically asked about him, I’d feel a little more confident that he’s being genuine.

13 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Agreed. You have to see the interview to really have the full context too. If he was specifically asked about the player, of course he’s gonna say good things. He’s not gonna say that he was garbage. If he brought the player up without being specifically asked about him, I’d feel a little more confident that he’s being genuine.

Exactly.

Reporter: "How do you think Julian Dunn played today?"

Coach: "I think he was excellent ... Tonight, he proved that he belongs (at) this level."

This is almost always going to be the answer in regards to a young player, especially if he had a decent game. Very few coaches are going to throw their young players under the bus in these situations, even if there are legitimate criticisms to be made.

When assessing young players one has to look at the full 90 mins body of work vs 1 or 2 specific plays as well as how the player performed relative to vets at the position. Then consider the amount of playing time for the season etc etc. Dunn played as a RCB in a back 3. Not sure if he is best suited to playing there v in a 2 CB with a back 4? He also had a young rookie in JMR at RWB also playing out of position. All things considered for his first start in 3 yrs away to a playoff team...not bad at all