Stephen Eustaquio

6 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Henry has been MVP, on the team of the week, and one of the standout players since his move to Suwon. Seeing as were thin at CB, and Vitoria hasnt been playing since the restart, id like to think Henry gets the auto start until some of the younger guys like Miller and Waterman can get more reps

edit: i do agree that Cornelius is the other starter as well

Lots of players are MVP & World Class at club but don`t do as well on the National team. We just don`t have the depth to known liabilities for Canada

Henry has been very good in the past and whenever he has the CanMNT jersey on, his game goes down, might be that he puts too much on himself, nerves, confidence, etc... I`d start him against weaker teams and make sure he`s reliable consistently.

I don`t trust him against Mexico, USA, Costa Rica or Central American teams. I`ll take my chances with someone else if that makes sense

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Lots of players are MVP & World Class at club but don`t do as well on the National team. We just don`t have the depth to known liabilities for Canada

Henry has been very good in the past and whenever he has the CanMNT jersey on, his game goes down, might be that he puts too much on himself, nerves, confidence, etc... I`d start him against weaker teams and make sure he`s reliable consistently.

I don`t trust him against Mexico, USA, Costa Rica or Central American teams. I`ll take my chances with someone else if that makes sense

Can't say i disagree with that, Henry has been very inconsistent in a Canadian jersey. I think i just rate him because of playing time and playing level, which is quite a step up currently from the rest of our CBs. I would've chosen Vitoria over Henry as a starter when he was playing week in and week out in Liga NOS. As for the rest of our CB crop like Miller, Waterman, Didic and Zator, they all need more time at a good level before i can say theyre our big game starters IMO

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

1 minute ago, Big_M said:

godoy khmiri rose veselinovic..dont think cornelius even starts for vancouver..number 1 cb for national team lol

Says more about Vancouver if you ask me. I`ve yet to see 1 serious Fùp from Cornelius with the Canadian jersey. He`s wasting his time and talent in Vancouver. He needs to leave

26 minutes ago, Big_M said:

godoy khmiri rose veselinovic..dont think cornelius even starts for vancouver..number 1 cb for national team lol

Other than Godoy Cornelius is far better than the rest imo, Veselinovic has potential but he's unproven at MLS level, Khmiri like Veselinovic is unproven and raw also he seems to be pretty injury prone. Rose had a good game against LA Galaxy but otherwise I think he's mainly a squad player and not a natural CB. I feel that Cornelius will definitely start alongside Godoy regularly.

Edited by Nate3322

we'll see who is the number 2 to start beside godoy..but derek was a weak link last year..and first couple games godoy wasnt even there and they went with khmiri and rose in LA and took it without conceding..but opportunities will be there for him with a compact schedule, 5 subs..just gotta go out there and prove hes better than the others

56 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Henry has been MVP, on the team of the week, and one of the standout players since his move to Suwon. Seeing as were thin at CB, and Vitoria hasnt been playing since the restart, id like to think Henry gets the auto start until some of the younger guys like Miller and Waterman can get more reps

edit: i do agree that Cornelius is the other starter as well

I think Cornelius has high potential but I really havent seen much from him yet. Waterman looked pretty good for the Impact, hopefully more CPL guys make the jump like Zator and Didic and we can see what they can do at a higher level. But really playing for the whitecaps isnt really a higher level than the CPL lol. 

I prefer Miller over Cornelius and I hope he can play for Orlando. 

I would like to see a 3 at the back with Waterman, Henry and Miller. 

I think it’s a matter of getting the right combination, only problem is you don’t know who’s not going to mess up lol. I think consistency is the biggest problem for some of the guys I listed, when they’re playing well they can be really solid but we’ve seen the bad side unfortunately. 

Henry: From an athletic point of view he’s a monster, the biggest thing holding him back has been decision making. He’s our best CB when he’s on his game but is the most likely one to make a big mistake. 

Cornelius: Always seems pretty solid, I’d actually put him as our most reliable CB right now. Only thing is having to prove himself more. 

James: Biggest question mark for me right now, I thought he looked good when he played (though iirc he was mistake prone) but his club situation seemed a bit of a problem. He might have actually benefited from a MLS move a few years ago. 

Miller: I was sitting pretty close to him when we beat the US at home, he looked really good imo. For him it’s just a matter of proving himself and getting a bit more experience. I’m high on him. 

I haven’t watched the CPL guys as much as I would have liked. People seemed to love Zator so I’ll try to keep an eye on him when the CPL returns. Hopefully we can have a surprise like Montgomery or Kennedy pop up. Like I said, it’s just a matter of the right partnership though. I like Miller and Cornelius but having two young CBs together might not be a good idea. 

17 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I think it’s a matter of getting the right combination, only problem is you don’t know who’s not going to mess up lol. I think consistency is the biggest problem for some of the guys I listed, when they’re playing well they can be really solid but we’ve seen the bad side unfortunately. 

Henry: From an athletic point of view he’s a monster, the biggest thing holding him back has been decision making. He’s our best CB when he’s on his game but is the most likely one to make a big mistake. 

Cornelius: Always seems pretty solid, I’d actually put him as our most reliable CB right now. Only thing is having to prove himself more. 

James: Biggest question mark for me right now, I thought he looked good when he played (though iirc he was mistake prone) but his club situation seemed a bit of a problem. He might have actually benefited from a MLS move a few years ago. 

Miller: I was sitting pretty close to him when we beat the US at home, he looked really good imo. For him it’s just a matter of proving himself and getting a bit more experience. I’m high on him. 

I haven’t watched the CPL guys as much as I would have liked. People seemed to love Zator so I’ll try to keep an eye on him when the CPL returns. Hopefully we can have a surprise like Montgomery or Kennedy pop up. Like I said, it’s just a matter of the right partnership though. I like Miller and Cornelius but having two young CBs together might not be a good idea. 

Am I remembering wrong but has Cornelius not made a few errors lately? 

I am hoping Shaale sticks around long enough to play for Canada. 

I can't recall any errors from Cornelius in a Canada shirt. Not saying he didn't make any, but the fact it is so hard to recall what they were is telling. On the flip side, it is very easy to recall for James and especially Henry.

I like Miller a lot especially for his flexibility, but I don't get the opinion that he is ahead of Cornelius. Maybe it comes down to his versatility and his style of play? He is a rough and tumble defender who gets stuck in, just like Doniel Henry. Easy to see why people gravitate towards that. Cornelius is more of a Jakovic type of CB, silky on the ball. Perhaps that is less appreciated when we think of defenders, since "defending" is obviously part of the equation? If that is what it is I could understand it...

Edited by Obinna

9 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Eustaquio is a player. He is a great addition and will force Piette to get better or lose his spot.  And If Fraser ever gets to play, (flipping Covid,) we will have very solid quality at CDM.  And if Hutch gives us another year or 2... just need a couple of CB’s to step up.

IMO he's better than Piette and Kaye. Hard worker, good technically, REALLY good first touch, and great quick passer. If the CMNT was playing today, Eustaquio starts.

10 hours ago, Bdog said:

Yeah other option being Joel Waterman too at CB so basically we have enough depth at the center back position. What we need more of is depth at the left and right back positions if anything.

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

IMO he's better than Piette and Kaye. Hard worker, good technically, REALLY good first touch, and great quick passer. If the CMNT was playing today, Eustaquio starts.

Most likely he would start as CDM but then who would he partner up with at the CDM position? Who does he mesh more with, Piette or Kaye?

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah other option being Joel Waterman too at CB so basically we have enough depth at the center back position. What we need more of is depth at the left and right back positions if anything.

I think we have some depth at LB and RB. At left back we have Davies, Solomon, Adekugbe, Miller, Bassong and Abzi plus Gutierrez if he commits to us. At right back we have Laryea, ZBG, Cordova, Godinho and Zator. 

38 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

I think we have some depth at LB and RB. At left back we have Davies, Solomon, Adekugbe, Miller, Bassong and Abzi plus Gutierrez if he commits to us. At right back we have Laryea, ZBG, Cordova, Godinho and Zator. 

I think Zator will be a CB going forward. Cavalry signed Farsi at RB and Zator's ceiling is higher at CB. Versatility helps though.

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I think Zator will be a CB going forward. Cavalry signed Farsi at RB and Zator's ceiling is higher at CB. Versatility helps though.

Then if you convert him to CB, then there is not enough depth at the right back position for Canada. Yeah sure you would have ZBG, Godinho and Cordova but other than that I mean who else can really play RB?

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Then if you convert him to CB, then there is not enough depth at the right back position for Canada. Yeah sure you would have ZBG, Godinho and Cordova but other than that I mean who else can really play RB?

Millar also played right back for Canada, albeit against usvi, but he played there. I think maybe against Dominica too. With him and Davies on the wings, Arfield, Hutchinson, Kaye/Eustáquio in the middle then David, Hoilett and Cavallini up top, we just need 2 decent centre backs. 

Thats a lot of firepower. 

39 minutes ago, Alex said:

Millar also played right back for Canada, albeit against usvi, but he played there. I think maybe against Dominica too. With him and Davies on the wings, Arfield, Hutchinson, Kaye/Eustáquio in the middle then David, Hoilett and Cavallini up top, we just need 2 decent centre backs. 

Thats a lot of firepower. 

That is true, a whole new golden generation of Canadian players but this golden generation now still are unproven but there's plenty of time for that...2022 and 2026