CPL General

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

Not sure if you actually read the article but the author is not outright opposed to the proposals put forth by the Faths, she just wants to ensure what ever decisions council makes it’s in the best interest of the community not just a pro soccer team. Makes total sense, I think everyone would agree to that.

Edit: incorrect gender reference

Edited by BuzzAndSting

3 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Not sure if you actually read the article but the author is not outright opposed to the proposals put forth by the Faths, he just wants to ensure what ever decisions council makes it’s in the best interest of the community not just a pro soccer team. Makes total sense, I think everyone would agree to that.

It's a she for the record lol. The real issue with the article is its either poorly researched or she left out facts (i.e.-saying the CPL doesn't exist and neglecting to mention the money the Faths have already put in there) on purpose to support her position

7 minutes ago, Rheo said:

It's a she for the record lol. The real issue with the article is its either poorly researched or she left out facts (i.e.-saying the CPL doesn't exist and neglecting to mention the money the Faths have already put in there) on purpose to support her position

Not really surprising that the above poster put a negative link on this forum. I don't think they even support Canada but love to troll this forum.  

Hate to be BBTB but did you read one of the articles linked....YIPES!!!  Real us vs them kind of stuff there.  Blows me away, the Blue bombers are helping bring in pro soccer to use their facility to the max and make more money.  It seems like some football people in edmonton are more worried about high school football than bringing a pro soccer team back to life. And maybe I am just ignorant, but how much high school football gets played in April through August?? Our kids here dont even start practicing until mid August.   

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/columnists/opinion-dont-give-away-high-school-footballs-home-turf-to-pro-soccer

Edited by Bison44

Super surprising with everything going on with Gridiron that parents and media are so worried about their kids ability to play a game clearly in decline. Seemed like all the rage before this was about taking a stand against concussions, the nfl ratings dropping and, youth participation in decline. There has to be more soccer youth in the city than football no?

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Hate to be BBTB but did you read one of the articles linked....YIPES!!!  Real us vs them kind of stuff there.  Blows me away, the Blue bombers are helping bring in pro soccer to use their facility to the max and make more money.  It seems like some football people in edmonton are more worried about high school football than bringing a pro soccer team back to life. And maybe I am just ignorant, but how much high school football gets played in April through August?? Our kids here dont even start practicing until mid August.   

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/columnists/opinion-dont-give-away-high-school-footballs-home-turf-to-pro-soccer

I would actually say it makes perfect sense.  As you say, the Bombers get to use their facility to try and make more money.  That's not the case with the Eskimos.  They (and the football community in Edmonton) is justifiably allowed to ask what's in it for them, or to bring forth concerns about giving up the use of a facility they use.  That's not to say something can't be worked out, just that the two situations aren't comparable.

On the bright side for you guys, if as seems to be the case Victoria (let's assume Xavier is correct on Port City FC being at an expanded Westhills stadium in Langford rather than in the Fraser Valley), Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton (if York U works then Ron Joyce might be a plan B possibility even if they can't use THF?), York and Halifax all have what are viewed as viable interim or permanent stadium solutions, they have enough franchises in place now to get going in 2019 even if both Edmonton and Ottawa steer clear in year one. They no doubt very much want the latter two markets on board at launch, but they can always be the two in the pipeline initially and let's not forget that Saskatoon, K/W and other possibilities are probably still active to some extent as well in spectrum of readiness terms. My skepticism over 2019 was mainly related to how they would get to six without something happening in stadium approval terms in either Surrey or Saskatoon.

Just want to say re Victoria, that I have been reading articles on the Spanish Women's Rugby 7s this last week, referring all the time to the tournament in Langford. At no time have they talked about Victoria. Okay, they do not know it is really Greater Victoria, but still, it was odd when I saw a headline on Langford just the week thing we being posted here on it. 

Mind you, on the World Rugby site, they refer to Langford the whole time, alongside Sydney, Paris or Dubai, it is probably the highest profile event they have ever held and the most publicity the municipality has ever received for an international event.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

On the bright side for you guys, if as seems to be the case Victoria (let's assume Xavier is correct on Port City FC being at an expanded Westhills stadium in Langford rather than in the Fraser Valley), Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton (if York U works then Ron Joyce might be a plan B possibility even if they can't use THF?), York and Halifax all have what are viewed as viable interim or permanent stadium solutions, they have enough franchises in place now to get going in 2019 even if both Edmonton and Ottawa steer clear in year one. They no doubt very much want the latter two markets on board at launch, but they can always be the two in the pipeline initially and let's not forget that Saskatoon, K/W and other possibilities are probably still active to some extent as well in spectrum of readiness terms. My skepticism over 2019 was mainly related to how they would get to six without something happening in stadium approval terms in either Surrey or Saskatoon.

Are six new pro soccer teams with viable stadium solutions in this country not a bright side for everyone?

Finally official. Tommy Wheeldon called me in early January to tell me this was happening, and us supporters were told during the Calgary Foothills / University of Calgary friendly in late January. Really looking forward to Thursday's press conference. Hoping to get a better picture of what the stadium looks like, as well as club name (please not Cavalry FC) and colours. Have a feeling my Visa will get a workout.

To all the Calgary V's, I hope to see you in the stands.

2 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Finally official. Tommy Wheeldon called me in early January to tell me this was happening, and us supporters were told during the Calgary Foothills / University of Calgary friendly in late January. Really looking forward to Thursday's press conference. Hoping to get a better picture of what the stadium looks like, as well as club name (please not Cavalry FC) and colours. Have a feeling my Visa will get a workout.

To all the Calgary V's, I hope to see you in the stands.

Unbelievable the things that happen quietly even when there are those who want to crap on everything CPL and doubt that anything is moving forward in a positive way just because they personally aren't told and don't know and feel the need to post their garbage on here 

Seriously though congrats to all you out there :)