10 minutes ago, ThatDaveCh said:

Sorry mate, but Calgary Cavalry FC is all but confirmed. Now excuse me, I'm going to stock pile all the "dead horse" banter material I can find.

Hopefully they had enough common sense not to put Calgary in front of the name. Should just be Cavalry FC.

2 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Hopefully they had enough common sense not to put Calgary in front of the name. Should just be Cavalry FC.

Sure, they'll call it Cavalry FC, but the awful alliteration will always be there. Before local media become soccer literate, they will endless be called the Calgary Cavalary. Heck, even last year, our stadium announcer called FC Edmonton the "FC Edmonton Eddies."

1 minute ago, ThatDaveCh said:

Sure, they'll call it Cavalry FC, but the awful alliteration will always be there. Before local media become soccer literate, they will endless be called the Calgary Cavalary. Heck, even last year, our stadium announcer called FC Edmonton the "FC Edmonton Eddies."

Wheres Arsenal located...no one knows. They just call it Arsenal. Same should apply to Cavalry.

Just now, mpg_29 said:

Wheres Arsenal located...no one knows. They just call it Arsenal. Same should apply to Cavalry.

Absolutely, once Calgary is home to 40+ clubs in the Canadian Pyramid, then it should apply.

I'm being facetious of course, but the Cavalry won't be separated from that alliterative nightmare for some time.

4 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Fatal brand marketing to name a team after munitions.  This British Premier League club will never take off or be successful :)

40 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

After what LeBron has put me through over the past 2 years, it's going to be a tough pill to cheer for the "Cavs"

1 hour ago, ThatDaveCh said:

Nothing is more awful for me than when people in Edmonton call FCE "The FC". I don't notice it happening in Toronto as much, maybe on like Bob McGowans show, but for the most part it has passed. 

3 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

As much as I despise the Arse, that was he example I thought of.  Calgary's team getting quickly shortened to Cavalry would be an alright outcome.  

Cavalry is a poor name, you can't even pronounce it easily, and it also refers to the Passion of Christ, ie "watching this team has been a cavalry". The only thing to save it would be a "CCFC", which sounds a bit Spanish in fact. No, really, too bad about that. I guess they felt they had to go with a horsey name out in Spruce Meadows.

York9 was so smart I just assumed the rest would be on the same wavelength.

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It is Cavalry FC that has been trademarked, so it seems to be what they intend. It could be worse it could be National Capital Region Pioneers.

Now that actual announcements are arriving I am loving your sarcastic comments.

This board gets way more positive every time there is an announcement. Then of course is regresses back into negativity inbetween announcements. 

2 hours ago, BradMack said:

Nothing is more awful for me than when people in Edmonton call FCE "The FC". I don't notice it happening in Toronto as much, maybe on like Bob McGowans show, but for the most part it has passed. 

It still happens occasionally. The sports guy on CBC Toronto on the morning commute radio frequently says it

He's actually fairly knowledgeable though, took time to explain what CCL was, so he gets a pass

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Passion of Christ, ie "watching this team has been a cavalry"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalry

Not quite, but you're right that there will be frequent mixups.

Cavalry has grown on me, and it fits with Spruce Meadows. Though I stick with my take that it will be the second best horse-related name in the city (Stampeders), which isn't a great look. In a few years no one will fixate on it in a few years though

Edited by Complete Homer

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Cavalry is a poor name, you can't even pronounce it easily, and it also refers to the Passion of Christ, ie "watching this team has been a cavalry". The only thing to save it would be a "CCFC", which sounds a bit Spanish in fact. No, really, too bad about that. I guess they felt they had to go with a horsey name out in Spruce Meadows.

Cavalry is different than Calvary... Perhaps you don't understand just how much ranching, the stampeded, and spruce Meadows have shaped Calgary's identity as a city. It has affected everything. I mean, the flames play in the Saddledome... 

I think the name will catch on perfectly fine. It is meant to represent a city, not please an entire national supporters group...

Some people may not like the name. But they need to establish an identity somehow, and at the very least that name seems fairly honest and organic to the organization. 

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think it's that difficult to pronounce...

I think most people in Canada/U.S. associate "cavalry" with the phrase "bring in/call in the cavalry."...as in bring in the heavy troops.

3 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I don't think it's that difficult to pronounce...

I think most people in Canada/U.S. associate "cavalry" with the phrase "bring in/call in the cavalry."...as in bring in the heavy troops.

Well it does not ring off my tongue. I was looking there is a PDL club in Texas called Cavalry Soccer, it does little for me. But I am not going to support that club so who cares?

5 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Cavalry is different than Calvary... Perhaps you don't understand just how much ranching, the stampeded, and spruce Meadows have shaped Calgary's identity as a city. It has affected everything. I mean, the flames play in the Saddledome... 

I think the name will catch on perfectly fine. It is meant to represent a city, not please an entire national supporters group...

Some people may not like the name. But they need to establish an identity somehow, and at the very least that name seems fairly honest and organic to the organization. 

How is Calgary Cavalry different from the Calvary of Calgary, I don't get it?

For me it is all a mush, now I'm being an idiot, admittedly. Hey, I went to see TSS Rovers last summer, not exactly your most thrilling of club names.

It'll work fine.  Think fans with white hats (like stampede), bugle blasts after goals, scarves with a galloping horse logo and a guy riding around at halftime.  It fits the history of the city.  It wont be the worst of the first round of team names.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Come on Sherm, think John Wayne on the horse and the bugles blaring!!!  DOO DOO DOO DOOOOOOO............CHARGE!!!!!

I was thinking more along the lines of the song from this scene from Men in Tights: