CPL General

3 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I don't think it's that difficult to pronounce...

I think most people in Canada/U.S. associate "cavalry" with the phrase "bring in/call in the cavalry."...as in bring in the heavy troops.

Well it does not ring off my tongue. I was looking there is a PDL club in Texas called Cavalry Soccer, it does little for me. But I am not going to support that club so who cares?

5 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Cavalry is different than Calvary... Perhaps you don't understand just how much ranching, the stampeded, and spruce Meadows have shaped Calgary's identity as a city. It has affected everything. I mean, the flames play in the Saddledome... 

I think the name will catch on perfectly fine. It is meant to represent a city, not please an entire national supporters group...

Some people may not like the name. But they need to establish an identity somehow, and at the very least that name seems fairly honest and organic to the organization. 

How is Calgary Cavalry different from the Calvary of Calgary, I don't get it?

For me it is all a mush, now I'm being an idiot, admittedly. Hey, I went to see TSS Rovers last summer, not exactly your most thrilling of club names.

It'll work fine.  Think fans with white hats (like stampede), bugle blasts after goals, scarves with a galloping horse logo and a guy riding around at halftime.  It fits the history of the city.  It wont be the worst of the first round of team names.  

31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How is Calgary Cavalry different from the Calvary of Calgary, I don't get it?

For me it is all a mush, now I'm being an idiot, admittedly. Hey, I went to see TSS Rovers last summer, not exactly your most thrilling of club names.

I just googled and this is what I got.

Cavalry vs. Calvary

These two words are wholly unrelated, but they often get confused. Calvary is a proper noun that refers to the hillside on which Jesus was crucified. Cavalry is a group of highly mobile army troops

Unfortunately with a name like Cavalry the team website may need to have this paragraph as a disclaimer. There is gonna be a lot of confusion. In the end, thankfully a name is just a name. 

You are a great supporter of Canadian soccer so thankfully the name won't cause a problem with you. :D

4 hours ago, BradMack said:

Nothing is more awful for me than when people in Edmonton call FCE "The FC". I don't notice it happening in Toronto as much, maybe on like Bob McGowans show, but for the most part it has passed. 

Damn straight, that term should be reserved for the ONLY club that the deserves that moniker...Der Effzeh - FC Koln! I do like "The Eddies" though.

3 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Calvary is a proper noun that refers to the hillside on which Jesus was crucified. 

Soon enough, it will also refer to the meadow on which Calgary football teams get crucified!! 

Up the Eddies!!! Alberta's #1!

In all seriousness, I'm very excited for this announcement and I'm looking forward to the growth of this league and the development of Canadian football!

20 minutes ago, ESG Shawn said:

Soon enough, it will also refer to the meadow on which Calgary football teams get crucified!! 

Up the Eddies!!! Alberta's #1!

In all seriousness, I'm very excited for this announcement and I'm looking forward to the growth of this league and the development of Canadian football!

I love the shit-talking before the league kicks off.

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I love the shit-talking before the league kicks off.

Shawn's lucky I don't have any photo evidence of him at Friday's Foothills game. He wanted to watch the top level of soccer in Alberta. ;)

The best part about CPL supporter groups at this stage is that while there's a lot of banter, it's all good natured. Hell, one of the main supporters behind YEG4CPL stayed at my place after Al Classico. None of this Toronto / Montreal crap where people are ripping out seats or assaulting other fans (appreciating that is always the minority).

Our kids can fight it out. We're all responsible for building this together.

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎14 at 7:19 PM, nolbertos said:

You mean by what the dredge up as a journalist. She's more likely trying to play nice after she suggested that the Esks change their name.

10 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I just googled and this is what I got.

Cavalry vs. Calvary

These two words are wholly unrelated, but they often get confused. Calvary is a proper noun that refers to the hillside on which Jesus was crucified. Cavalry is a group of highly mobile army troops

Unfortunately with a name like Cavalry the team website may need to have this paragraph as a disclaimer. There is gonna be a lot of confusion. In the end, thankfully a name is just a name. 

You are a great supporter of Canadian soccer so thankfully the name won't cause a problem with you. :D

I just screwed up and am trying to cover my butt, nothing more. It'll be fine and, as said, the least of the CPLs worries.