31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How is Calgary Cavalry different from the Calvary of Calgary, I don't get it?

For me it is all a mush, now I'm being an idiot, admittedly. Hey, I went to see TSS Rovers last summer, not exactly your most thrilling of club names.

I just googled and this is what I got.

Cavalry vs. Calvary

These two words are wholly unrelated, but they often get confused. Calvary is a proper noun that refers to the hillside on which Jesus was crucified. Cavalry is a group of highly mobile army troops

Unfortunately with a name like Cavalry the team website may need to have this paragraph as a disclaimer. There is gonna be a lot of confusion. In the end, thankfully a name is just a name. 

You are a great supporter of Canadian soccer so thankfully the name won't cause a problem with you. :D

43 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How is Calgary Cavalry different from the Calvary of Calgary, I don't get it?

For one, they are entirely different words.

4 hours ago, BradMack said:

Nothing is more awful for me than when people in Edmonton call FCE "The FC". I don't notice it happening in Toronto as much, maybe on like Bob McGowans show, but for the most part it has passed. 

Damn straight, that term should be reserved for the ONLY club that the deserves that moniker...Der Effzeh - FC Koln! I do like "The Eddies" though.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

The supporters group can have coconuts and make clip clop noises instead of drums.   

This has to happen!  

And he looked down from Calvary and said "Let it be so"

3 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Calvary is a proper noun that refers to the hillside on which Jesus was crucified. 

Soon enough, it will also refer to the meadow on which Calgary football teams get crucified!! 

Up the Eddies!!! Alberta's #1!

In all seriousness, I'm very excited for this announcement and I'm looking forward to the growth of this league and the development of Canadian football!

20 minutes ago, ESG Shawn said:

Soon enough, it will also refer to the meadow on which Calgary football teams get crucified!! 

Up the Eddies!!! Alberta's #1!

In all seriousness, I'm very excited for this announcement and I'm looking forward to the growth of this league and the development of Canadian football!

I love the ****-talking before the league kicks off.

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I love the ****-talking before the league kicks off.

Shawn's lucky I don't have any photo evidence of him at Friday's Foothills game. He wanted to watch the top level of soccer in Alberta. ;)

The best part about CPL supporter groups at this stage is that while there's a lot of banter, it's all good natured. Hell, one of the main supporters behind YEG4CPL stayed at my place after Al Classico. None of this Toronto / Montreal crap where people are ripping out seats or assaulting other fans (appreciating that is always the minority).

Our kids can fight it out. We're all responsible for building this together.

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎14 at 7:19 PM, nolbertos said:

You mean by what the dredge up as a journalist. She's more likely trying to play nice after she suggested that the Esks change their name.

10 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I just googled and this is what I got.

Cavalry vs. Calvary

These two words are wholly unrelated, but they often get confused. Calvary is a proper noun that refers to the hillside on which Jesus was crucified. Cavalry is a group of highly mobile army troops

Unfortunately with a name like Cavalry the team website may need to have this paragraph as a disclaimer. There is gonna be a lot of confusion. In the end, thankfully a name is just a name. 

You are a great supporter of Canadian soccer so thankfully the name won't cause a problem with you. :D

I just screwed up and am trying to cover my butt, nothing more. It'll be fine and, as said, the least of the CPLs worries.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

I don't remember where, but there was an article already that mentioned summer as when the first signings would be happening for York 9.

Either I missed that one or read it and don't remember that part lol.  Although to be honest it appears that Ottawa and Calgary have been semi-building their teams already.  Smart though to get some names as quick as possible to get them into the community and keep the hype up.

8 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Either I missed that one or read it and don't remember that part lol.  Although to be honest it appears that Ottawa and Calgary have been semi-building their teams already.  Smart though to get some names as quick as possible to get them into the community and keep the hype up.

Found it in the York 9 thread. As I suspected (since you've done an incredible job of finding and posting news) you were the one that sent out the link;)

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/canadian-premier-league-unveils-york-9-fc-in-soccer-hotbed-york-region

It's mentioned just below the manifesto video in that article.

Edited by Kent
More info given.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Found it in the York 9 thread. As I suspected (since you've done an incredible job of finding and posting news) you were the one that sent out the link;)

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/canadian-premier-league-unveils-york-9-fc-in-soccer-hotbed-york-region

Yep missed it lol. When you get a whole bunch of articles at once, it's easy to skim things when there's a lot of repetition of themes/quotes.  Thanks

Good to hear, I was hoping the clubs would start signing players in summer 2018 and then loan them out for a half-season like some of the newer MLS clubs have done. This way it'll be easier to sign guys currently playing in Europe before the season starts and it should hopefully help improve the league's player quality in the first season.