CPL General

On 08/01/2018 at 12:06 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

York and especially Calgary are still a bit questionable in terms of the information sources

On 21/01/2018 at 1:21 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Has anybody seen or heard anything about a York Region team recently from a source that doesn't just lead straight back to the York Region newspaper article about Jim Brennan leaving Aurora? That may just have been about saving face on Jim Brennan's part given what 1996 was posting, so think we badly need a second source on that.

B)

11 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Details in what CPL team membership will get you is here https://login.canpl.ca/york9 especially in the FAQ section 

There's also some schedule- and international friendly-related hints in the FAQ:

Q: How many games are in a Season Ticket Package?

A: York 9 Football Club Members will receive tickets to up to 16 games each year. These games are made up of 14 regular season home games, plus 2 special event games that will vary from year to year. We will be bringing International Club teams to play friendly matches, as well as special CPL games (e.g. CPL All-Star game or The Voyageurs Cup). Credits for any unused matches will be applied automatically to the renewal of tickets for the following season.

I really hope there isn't actually going to be an all-star game.

49 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

It says they're playing at york university the wikipedia article says the capacity is 3k but they added 7.5k for the pan am games. Be a bit worrisome if they don't add temporary seating.

There are two stadiums at York though - the football stadium, which is where the York soccer teams also play, and then the stadium that was built for Pan Ams which has had a few soccer games on it, but I think is primarily used for track? I dunno, I was at York for two years and there never really seemed to be anybody on it except for people running on the track. 

Jimmy Brennan the guy who got paid over 100000 for doing nothing by Aurora Soccer Club who was supposed idly Aurora’s men’s League 1 head coach  for a time but was very rarely at their games coaching and even less rarely at practise coaching, his best line was that players should just play for the love of the game and not money while he was raking in over 100000 for doing nothing. Yes this York 9 team is in good hands . I guess he has succeeded in pulling the wool over some rich guys eyes and making another 100 grand for a few more years, but all power to him life is short so if you can and people are willing to pay then why not? You go Jimmy!

Edited by 1996

So which team do we think the current countdown is for? I don’t remember specifics but thought there was a hint that Halifax would be 2 weeks from now. Maybe Calgary next since we have been getting ownership and stadium news recently?

Just now, Kent said:

So which team do we think the current countdown is for? I don’t remember specifics but thought there was a hint that Halifax would be 2 weeks from now. Maybe Calgary next since we have been getting ownership and stadium news recently?

I think Calgary is next from what has been hinted to me on Twitter 

It was great to be at the launch today. Did have a historic feel to it. Excited for what's coming next.  Plan to travel from Toronto all the way up there to support the new York 9 club.  Shouldn't be too bad the first coupla years with them playing out of York U next to the new subway stop.

Got me thinking about all the work that's gone in to getting us to this point.  About Paul Beirne being the lone employee for the first year. Obviously there was a lot happening long before Paul was getting paid.  But who exactly is paying Paul and the other staff? Who is bankrolling the league? is what I'm wondering.  Is it the up-til-now unannounced teams? Is it Bob Young?  Anybody know ? ....

2 hours ago, carolynduthie said:

There are two stadiums at York though - the football stadium, which is where the York soccer teams also play, and then the stadium that was built for Pan Ams which has had a few soccer games on it, but I think is primarily used for track? I dunno, I was at York for two years and there never really seemed to be anybody on it except for people running on the track. 

The Ontario Arrows rugby team is playing out of York in exhibition games this year,  and may join MLR next year,  so there may be some cost savings if they're sharing the upgrades.

They'be been on the football field so far,  supposedly the pitch isn't ready at the new one due to weather? 

Did anyone congratulate pat on breaking the spruce meddows thing lol. Saw sportsnet report it.

@Zem RE all star game. Disappointing but also a good sign if they're following the mls on how it goes (bringing in a top tier team from a big league). Lots of cash in them. It's also a nice little nod to the fact this is a north american league and will keep some of the current sporting traditions of our region even if they are doing stuff like single table and no playoffs. As much as I've heard "create a Canadian soccer culture" there is a long standing sporting culture here that you have to play with (especially after a decade of MLS playing into it).

The fact the teams themselves are also doing solo friendlies is very good money wise if the games are against clubs from say the UEFA Top 15 leagues.

Edited by matty

7 hours ago, shermanator said:

B)

Reasonable enough at the time. Saskatoon and K/W had more solid information in the mainstream media than either York Region or Calgary did at the time I wrote these emails, but didn't make it to membership at this year's CSA AGM and a launch announcement, so not all of the markets that were trying to get this done have panned out.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Did the Spruce Meadow people not mention having it announced before the end of this month in one of the radio interviews that has been linked on here? Suspect they are up next.

8 hours ago, carolynduthie said:

The problem with the football stadium is marked fieldturf, while the problem with the latter is that the pitch is too narrow despite having the advantage of being natural turf. Both are problematic without doing something like installing Nexturf tiles over the existing playing surface. From a making a good first impression in soccer terms standpoint they would probably have been better off at the Ontario Soccer Centre, but it looks like TTC subway access has trumped that.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard