CPL General

12 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

He's blocked the majority of the posters anyway, doubt any of it is making it through the cone of silence 

It doesn't really matter anymore. There was a point that I was worried that his pessimistic narrative would prevent people who would otherwise get involved from doing so (I think we have a cultural tendency to equate skepticism with realism) but that simply hasn't been the case. 

If anything, I wonder if he accidentally had a positive effect by making the Voyageurs board such an undesirable place to discuss CPL that conversation was forced to move to more mainstream platforms that drew in a wider group of participants. 

I see this place not becoming obsolete but definitely evolving in the future. CPL talk will probably be taken over by their own website along with individual club/supporter boards. This place will probably be strictly about the national team and the social aspect of Voyageur meet ups. 

1 minute ago, Macksam said:

I see this place not becoming obsolete but definitely evolving in the future. CPL talk will probably be taken over by their own website along with individual club/supporter boards. This place will probably be strictly about the national team and the social aspect of Voyageur meet ups. 

As someone with no local pro team I hope not but I would suspect you're right now that you've made me think about it.  I look at the MLS board and there is a bit of talk but nowhere near what we see in this thread for now and the Men's thread (side note, always been surprised at the lack of Women's conversation).  Curious to see how the board evolves once everything is up and running.

As I'm sure the naysayers will get all excited by this but they added 5 hours to the countdown on the website.  I figured they were doing two events, a media event at noon as per the original countdown and the event the supporter group put out at 5 but looks like there will be only the big one at 5pm.

16 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I'm no show jumping expert nor architect, but damn if that facility doesn't have some incredible character to build off of. Opportunity to have a truly unique facility.

5af32fac730a8_sprucemeadows.thumb.jpg.e724d7203766b7a26e3085835d9fe73a.jpg

I am guessing they use one of the less used rings for the stadium. It would be interesting to know the dimensions of each ring

GeneralMap__2017.jpg

Just now, Complete Homer said:

I am guessing they use one of the less used rings for the stadium. It would be interesting to know the dimensions of each ring

On the new Loyal Company of the River Valley pod they discussed this and named a part of the facility they had heard was going to be used but I can't remember the name.  Unfortunately I deleted the pod and I looked at the names there but none of them rang a bell.  In other news this interactive map of the complex is really good to get an idea of where might go.

https://www.sprucemeadows.com/facilities/facility_map.jsp

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

Shouldn't you update your signature now that we're 24 hours away lol

50 minutes ago, Rheo said:

As I'm sure the naysayers will get all excited by this but they added 5 hours to the countdown on the website.  I figured they were doing two events, a media event at noon as per the original countdown and the event the supporter group put out at 5 but looks like there will be only the big one at 5pm.

^^ Nothing announced until it's announced. ;) 

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

Article behind a paywall but... 

Luckily, some of us have a subscription (Acadie Nouvelle has better coverage in the Moncton area, if anyone is looking to subscribe to anything): 

In reference to Hamilton, Winnipeg, et al...

''Younes Bouda, the executive director of Soccer NB, believes those are cities can aspire to rub shoulders with, at least on a soccer level.

''It's a dream but it's not as far away as we might imagine. It's very reasonable and the right scale for our population here'' he said on Wednesday. 

Numbers aren't firm, but Bouda said CPL wants franchises that can draw between 6,000 and 7,000 fans a game - a crowd easily accommodated by the 10,000 seat Stade de Moncton on the Université de Moncton campus - and require between $3 and $5 million  in annual operating expenses.''  

11 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

...Numbers aren't firm, but Bouda said CPL wants franchises that can draw between 6,000 and 7,000 fans a game - a crowd easily accommodated by the 10,000 seat Stade de Moncton on the Université de Moncton campus - and require between $3 and $5 million  in annual operating expenses.''  

...which hopefully includes game day expenses related to things like concessions on that last bit, because otherwise it's crazily high in break even terms on a 15 home game season.

2 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

Can anyone confirm the time and place of today's York9 announcement? If the Canpl.ca countdown and my calculations are correct it has changed and will now be 6pm. That means I could conceivably go and check it out. ...  

It's at Vaughan City Hall according to the Waking the Red article.  https://www.wakingthered.com/2018/4/23/17272742/york-9-fc-to-launch-official-canadian-premier-league-club-jim-brennan-paul-beirne-cpl-canpl

I know the link to the event with all the details is on the York 9 Supporters Group Twitter but I'm working and can't get it now.

Edited by Rheo

7 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

Regarding York 9 event... Jimmy wants you there by 5pm, they are going to get set up, talk about the club / region. I believe official announcement is 5:30pm sharp and then also the announcement of the supporter group shortly after. Come support!

Ok. Thanks everyone. I'm gonna go! 

.... I don't care what others say I STILL like this board?

52 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

Regarding York 9 event... Jimmy wants you there by 5pm, they are going to get set up, talk about the club / region. I believe official announcement is 5:30pm sharp and then also the announcement of the supporter group shortly after. Come support!

Are you involved with the York9 SG?  We (V's and Toronto CPL Supporters) are trying to find more about them, I even DM'd the York9SG IG account but it was kind of a boiler plate response.

Some of us plan to buy seasons at York9 and possibly get involved further.

Edited by zeelaw