CPL General

They could just remove the two jumping pits located inside of the track and have a fifa regulation size pitch. Now sure how keen York U would be on that but they have a second track facility located right next to this stadium. 

Edited by Alex D

Really glad to see Peter Schaad in the CPL story teller position.  Always enjoyed him on the Footy Soldiers pod and while I didn't always agree with the "these kids today aren't like us in the good old days" takes on the pod the man knows his stuff.  He was an early proponent on the pod for each club needing to have their local identity to connect.   With his passion and way with words he just the right person for this role.

19 hours ago, matty said:

Did anyone congratulate pat on breaking the spruce meddows thing lol. Saw sportsnet report it.

@Zem RE all star game. Disappointing but also a good sign if they're following the mls on how it goes (bringing in a top tier team from a big league). Lots of cash in them. It's also a nice little nod to the fact this is a north american league and will keep some of the current sporting traditions of our region even if they are doing stuff like single table and no playoffs. As much as I've heard "create a Canadian soccer culture" there is a long standing sporting culture here that you have to play with (especially after a decade of MLS playing into it).

The fact the teams themselves are also doing solo friendlies is very good money wise if the games are against clubs from say the UEFA Top 15 leagues.

Yeah I love the solo international friendlies, I'm glad that idea seems to be coming to fruition.

I would argue that all-star games haven't exactly grown in popularity lately and they're mainly a draw for kids rather than the league's actual target demographics, but I can accept it as long as it brings in good revenue for the clubs. A means to an end I guess. Obviously I'm going to watch it regardless, as will any hardcore fan surely, but I just hope it's eventually done away with.

18 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Reasonable enough at the time. Saskatoon and K/W had more solid information in the mainstream media than either York Region or Calgary did at the time I wrote these emails, but didn't make it to membership at this year's CSA AGM and a launch announcement, so not all of the markets that were trying to get this done have panned out.

Yet.. ?

13 minutes ago, Rheo said:

So hard to believe that just because they didn’t tell us everything that things were happening in a positive way despite what some naysayers wanted to believe to fit their narrative:)

Would rather have, what we've had up to now, this kind of less news and under-promise and only announce things that are solidly in place. Much better than the over-promise CFL-expansion-into-the-US-era news delivery, where franchises got announced on a whim and a prayer. The CPL announcements and facts are just starting to come but they do look very solid.

That said, I was expecting to have already heard much more from various city councils across the country re: stadium proposals and negotiations. Kinda like what we've gotten from Halifax up to now.  So, this leads me to believe that perhaps Halifax is the only proposal that depends so much on a government partnership and that most of the other clubs have plans for privately funded venues.   From yesterday we know that with York 9 FC the long-term looks private and short-term is York University which would have been talked thru between parties and didn't need to get into the public domain.

The build-up is just going to get better and better  :)

@CanSufferI was being sarcastic. Poking fun at the naysayers who crapped on the league the entire way because of the lack of info, reading into the disaster scenarios they fantasize about. I’ve had no problem at all with the way they’ve put the info out. Has it been perfect? No but it’s not all the doom and gloom some  here want to express every single post 

4 minutes ago, Rheo said:

@CanSufferI was being sarcastic. Poking fun at the naysayers who crapped on the league the entire way because of the lack of info, reading into the disaster scenarios they fantasize about. I’ve had no problem at all with the way they’ve put the info out. Has it been perfect? No but it’s not all the doom and gloom some  here want to express every single post 

@Rheo No worries. I wasn't trying to counter argue with you or your points. Just pontificating on the subject. Cheers

From what we know about the York 9 FC ticket package it looks like a 28 game season. This is just about right for me.  Don't like a too long season and a too long playoffs. Just waters down the meaning of any individual game.  The NHL in particular is the poster child for this. MLS is also guilty.  March to December is soo long and they still have to squeeze in mid-week games. I'll be very pleased if the CanPL is able to give space for the FIFA International calendar in a fair way for ALL teams and not most teams the way MLS unevenly handles it.

1 hour ago, CanSuffer said:

From what we know about the York 9 FC ticket package it looks like a 28 game season. This is just about right for me.  Don't like a too long season and a too long playoffs. Just waters down the meaning of any individual game.  The NHL in particular is the poster child for this. MLS is also guilty.  March to December is soo long and they still have to squeeze in mid-week games. I'll be very pleased if the CanPL is able to give space for the FIFA International calendar in a fair way for ALL teams and not most teams the way MLS unevenly handles it.

Don't think there will be playoffs in CPL

And MLB is the ultimate example of that. Diluted product.

Edited by Xavier

3 hours ago, Zem said:

Yeah I love the solo international friendlies, I'm glad that idea seems to be coming to fruition.

I would argue that all-star games haven't exactly grown in popularity lately and they're mainly a draw for kids rather than the league's actual target demographics, but I can accept it as long as it brings in good revenue for the clubs. A means to an end I guess. Obviously I'm going to watch it regardless, as will any hardcore fan surely, but I just hope it's eventually done away with.

I agree that I hope it's something that fades over time (with the exception of the NBA's all-star game none really feel like "events" anymore).

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

Yet.. ?

True, but I think the context of what I wrote made it clear I was referring only to who got into the current round of four new CSA memberships and the current series of franchise announcements with a view to 2019. Both the Saskatchewan and K/W groups had named lead investors that were directly quoted as wanting to be in by this point. A lot can obviously happen on expansion over the first decade with a new pro league, if the launch goes very well, and the flip side is that progress can slow very quickly if it doesn't as happened initially with MLS when the fiscal generosity of Phil Anschutz and Lamar Hunt on league cash calls was all that stood between continued operation and oblivion. Roll on people having to deal with mundane reality rather than preferred fantasy scenarios.

17 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I’m guessing for the Voyageurs  cup with the 4 byes in the first round would be the 3 mls teams and winner of cpl the previous year. For first year Ottawa gets fourth first round bye because they had a team the year before at a decent level.

They'll want to fit in L1O & PLSQ as well, which gives them two options:

One, as you mentioned, where 4 teams (for the sake of argument, 3 MLS and 1 CPL) get a first-round bye and another 8 teams (7 CPL and 1 L1O/PLSQ q. round winner) face off in the first round.

Second, having 3 (MLS) teams get a first-round bye, and the other 10 teams (8 CPL, 1 L1O, 1 PLSQ) face off in the first round.

I kind of think they'll do the first one (your idea) just so they don't set the precedent of having D3 teams get in without a qualifying round, but you never know.  They could also surprise us and do four 3-team groups followed by semis and a final.

If the CPL is our D1 league then why should all the MLS teams get a bye.

I agree that with 12 teams in a tournament it makes sense to have 4 teams get a bye but it shouldn’t necessarily be 3 MLS teams.

The first round is technically a playoff between the D3 leagues.

Then the 2nd round byes should go to 1) CPL champion, 2) prior year Canadian Champion, 3) Next best MLS team 4) Next best CPL team.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

I agree that with 12 teams in a tournament it makes sense to have 4 teams get a bye but it shouldn’t necessarily be 3 MLS teams.

Then the 2nd round byes should go to 1) CPL champion, 2) prior year Canadian Champion, 3) Next best MLS team 4) Next best CPL team.

Because right now they are the best teams in Canada. I don’t mind your system there but I find it unlikely but I could possibly see that order but with best two mls teams, Canadian champions from the year before and cpl champions. 

10 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I suspect they'll either do random draw for the 4 bye spots, or base it on last year's results (ie. the four semifinals from last year get a bye).

Those "bye" should be for all MLS AND CPL.

No way MLS gets bye over CPL clubs. 

Don't know why people keep insisting that MLS gets bye ahead of some CPL clubs. 

If anything, 2019 should see 8 CPL + 3 MLS meeting at the same round and give 5 spots to D3 for a total of 16 teams after all D3 clubs figure it out in the previous stage.

I don't see in what scenario, the CSA gets sympathetic with MLS teams...especially now that they are going to be outnumbered by CPL members.

Edited by Ansem

11 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

If the CPL is our D1 league then why should all the MLS teams get a bye....

Hopefully in time the reality of what happens on the field of play will enable people to move past this, because pushing this angle too hard is likely to invite ridicule once discussion moves beyond obscure internet forums like this where participation is self-selecting and skews heavily towards people who are most obsessed about CanPL.

2 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Think of what a launch 2018 could have been for CPL. General soccer interest boost from WC + Canadian MLS teams failing.

But we get to talk CPL until the world cup. Then the league gets to hype CPL while everyone will be thinking and living soccer for a month. At every WC, media, fans and casual always wonder what it could be if Canada was there and a good team, CPL get to take that narrative and run with it the entire time and post WC.

Then the off season talks will take main stage through the last transfer window, then lineups, preseason, coach and front office nomination.

Not that playing during the WC would have help the league which is brand new.

2019 launch is just as new if you ask me

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

But we get to talk CPL until the world cup. Then the league gets to hype CPL while everyone will be thinking and living soccer for a month. At every WC, media, fans and casual always wonder what it could be if Canada was there and a good team, CPL get to take that narrative and run with it the entire time and post WC.

Then the off season talks will take main stage through the last transfer window, then lineups, preseason, coach and front office nomination.

Not that playing during the WC would have help the league which is brand new.

2019 launch is just as new if you ask me

Yeah, agree with this scenario. There's a lot to work with from a marketing point of view.