lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe this is what Kurt Larson was referring to with his tweet:

cyd9ai0zbba31.jpg

This just a Media Day to promote the next SKSSS match. Has nothing to do with CPL

On 7/10/2019 at 12:50 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The Oakville announcement turns out to be somewhat underwhelming:

I am from Oakville and delighted they didn't get the team. For 2 reasons

1. Because I am not going to stop supporting York 9

2. Terrible idea for more GTA clubs especially a primarily far suburban city like Oakville.

All for more Ontario clubs but keep them away from Toronto. Ottawa, London or Thunder Bay would be cool.

58 minutes ago, Ingham said:

I am from Oakville and delighted they didn't get the team. For 2 reasons

1. Because I am not going to stop supporting York 9

2. Terrible idea for more GTA clubs especially a primarily far suburban city like Oakville.

All for more Ontario clubs but keep them away from Toronto. Ottawa, London or Thunder Bay would be cool.

If Y9 doesn't pan out, they should go completely wild and create 905FC, which just bounces around between York, Durham, Halton, and Peel for all their home games.

Doesnt the lacrosse team bring in over 10,000 a game??  I know its not good to compare apples to oranges, but support of secondary non hockey sports will tell you something.  The Winnipeg goldeyes baseball have been around 20 years, and draw 4000 (near the top of their league), Valour open up shop and are bringing in roughly 6000.  If a soccer club in Saskatoon can get half of what the lacrosse boys get, they would be a huge CPL success story.  

If the study is being led by the Councillor from Ward 9 does that mean the location of the stadium is likely to be in Ward 9? That would be a little concerning as it's not exactly a central location.  The Milton GO line does run through that ward but it's not an all day service and isn't supposed to be upgraded to one for many years. 

On 7/14/2019 at 5:44 PM, Gopherbashi said:

I'm starting to lose track of how many "test balloons" there have been for an SK club.

Still on one? SK Summer Soccer Series. Barring disaster if looks like it will amp up more and return next summer too. 

It is a smart move if not frustrating for everyone hoping for a CPL team yesterday and immersed in an instant gratification and demand society. The ownership is slowly building staff, community partnerships, a young player pool and support. Much like Halifax its starting from scratch so a degree of caution and an effective long term building process is necessary. It's building a culture and one that is sustainable, that is easier said than done. 

On 7/14/2019 at 10:02 PM, Bison44 said:

Doesnt the lacrosse team bring in over 10,000 a game??  I know its not good to compare apples to oranges, but support of secondary non hockey sports will tell you something.  The Winnipeg goldeyes baseball have been around 20 years, and draw 4000 (near the top of their league), Valour open up shop and are bringing in roughly 6000.  If a soccer club in Saskatoon can get half of what the lacrosse boys get, they would be a huge CPL success story.  

14,639 average attendance, with what 500 of them originally Lacrosse fans? Maybe thats a harsh guess. It's all about the atmosphere and experience, we have all been saying that from the start though with growing and sustaining CPL crowds. The on field quality is obviously important but for drawing casuals and building the fan base there has to be both a familiarity but uniqueness to the fan day experience to get neutral people coming back. 

Arguably each game has to be an event experience. The Rush have done an incredible job with community outreach and being visible in the community, the importance of which can never be understated. Likewise they have done an incredible job at games making the atmosphere unique and themes week to week. It's basically a night out tied together with sport, arguably to the detriment of knowing what is going on in the game. No different to the crowd herding at CFL games. 

It is a balancing act when trying to build a culture. It can easily become more about the razzle dazzle than building an appreciation of the game. But if the grounds are full the books are balancing and the league is surviving. That's the temptation. It's also why places like this and supporter groups are so important.   

Not sure if this counts as a "test balloon" but there was also that Valencia vs New York Cosmos game a couple years ago. I remember at the time there was chatter about it potentially being used as an indicator of soccer interest. I don't think anyone directly involved with it was talking about starting a pro team there, but fans at least were thinking they could send a message by turning out in big numbers.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3438276/new-mosaic-stadium-set-to-host-valencia-cf-and-new-york-cosmos/

Posted (edited)

Think you'll find that Joe Belan was telling people at that point at fan group meetings that Saskatchewan would have the seventh team after the then anticipated 6 team soft launch in 2018. At the time the focus appears to have been on Regina with the hope being that part of the old Taylor Field could be converted into an SSS (a bit like the Edmonton scenario where FCE are playing on what was the original CFL stadium). Taylor Field was subsequently bulldozed by the city council and Saskatoon subsequently started to be talked up instead in newspaper articles.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Not really sure where to post this, but there is a rumour out there that USL is planning to kick the MLS reserve teams out of its top flight by 2021. 

Further proof that the CPL was correct to not accept MLS B teams in. 

Posted (edited)

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/clanachan-we-are-speaking-with-a-number-of-parties-in-quebec-1.1339314

Tony Marinaro and his over the top attempts to sound stereotypically English are quite difficult to listen to at times. After a long preamble the interesting part of the interview was:

08:08 -- Ottawa Fury for 2020? -- still talking basically, hopes the Fury will be in eventually, their choice at this point in time

09:00 -- will there be eight clubs in 2020? -- non-committal answer {so don't hold your breath would be the obvious take home message from that}

10:00 -- Bunbury in Montreal and Sherbrooke? -- talking to a number of groups, says positive things about Alex Bunbury, desperate for a Quebec team, can't force these things and it has to be done properly

11:50 -- Quebec City? -- same issue two groups being talked to, process has to handle itself, confident but not going to be reckless about bringing the wrong club in

13:00 -- 2021 or 2022? -- wants it to be sooner, but takes two to tango, they are not in complete control of that, depends on organizations that want a club and the facilities that are available.

13:50 -- expansion fee? -- key thing required is where teams will play, fee described as significant rather than enormous and not the main stumbling block from his standpoint, no giant pile of available stadiums where teams can play, talks up Halifax

15:40 onwards mainly about Spruce Meadows and the Cavalry rather than the questions I hoped he was going to ask which would have been about where things stand with Saskatoon, K/W and the Fraser valley and whether there was any truth to the Durham and Saint John speculation.

I don't get the purpose of the expansion fee. Did the current 7 teams have to pay one? I don't believe so. Isn't the entire idea behind being a club based league rather than a franchise based league mean there is no expansion fee?

21 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I don't get the purpose of the expansion fee. Did the current 7 teams have to pay one? I don't believe so. Isn't the entire idea behind being a club based league rather than a franchise based league mean there is no expansion fee?

The current 7 must have paid something, the league was up and running for months before any revenue was generated.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

09:00 -- will there be eight clubs in 2020? -- non-committal answer {so don't hold your breath would be the obvious take home message from that}

There needs to be 1 or 2 new teams for next year I think. 7 teams is too little to maintain or grow interest for a long time, especially with the weird scheduling that it obligates it to do. We just need to be smart about it.

How is it that Ottawa won’t be forced over it’s not like they are a superior team compared to the CPL, I think they’d fit in nicely. Do you think they will be in the CPL next season?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

How is it that Ottawa won’t be forced over it’s not like they are a superior team compared to the CPL, I think they’d fit in nicely. Do you think they will be in the CPL next season?

They have already made it clear that they would take legal action if forced like that.

53 minutes ago, Ingham said:

There needs to be 1 or 2 new teams for next year I think. 7 teams is too little to maintain or grow interest for a long time, especially with the weird scheduling that it obligates it to do. We just need to be smart about it.

The big problem they are having if you listen to the interview is finding suitable stadium solutions. David Clanachan also makes it sound like some of the interested groups might not be strong enough financially to be able to do what needs to be done (the youth club in Sherbrooke comes to mind in this regard). Letting in under capitalized groups has led to major problems in the past with leagues like the CSL, so they are better waiting if conditions are not ripe.