lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

On 6/5/2019 at 11:38 AM, Initial B said:

Someone up thread said that pro-rel works in europe because there was a problem to solve: too many teams. Canada has it's own problem to solve with Pro-Rel: too much space.

There might be some ways around this issue though. One thing I've been wondering about, in part because we already have the spring/fall league split, is a sort of half-pro/rel. Let's say there's 24 teams across the country, split into three regions of 8 (presumably west/central/east). Play a first half season where each region plays itself home-home, so you get 14 games each. If you finish near the top, you're "promoted" and put in a national league for the second half, to play for the championship. There's different options at that point admittedly, whether the 24 teams are split in two national leagues (which still reduces travel costs, only having national travel for half the year) or maybe only the top 2 in each region are promoted, leaving the bottom 6 to continue regional play.

Either way, it could enhance regional rivalries, decrease travel costs, provide that hope of "promotion" and fear of "relegation", while also keeping teams competitive. So for instance, this point:

On 6/5/2019 at 10:51 PM, Kent said:

Part way through the 2012 season while sitting through another hopeless loss (2011 and 2012 were their two worst seasons ever I think) I found myself wishing they could have been relegated after their 2011 season so that they would have a chance of being competitive in a lower level league the following season. Going through back to back horrible seasons seems worse to me than going through a horrible season, being relegated and then having a middle of the table type of season. At least you get to see a few wins in person as a season ticket holder in the second season.

would be mitigated. You might get destroyed by some stronger teams in the first half, but then you're hopefully facing more equal teams in the second half and can even sneak your way to a lesser title.

I'm sure there are flaws with the idea, but it's something I've been mulling over and figured it'd be worth writing down 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by Viruk42

4 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

There might be some ways around this issue though. One thing I've been wondering about, in part because we already have the spring/fall league split, is a sort of half-pro/rel. Let's say there's 24 teams across the country, split into three regions of 8 (presumably west/central/east). Play a first half season where each region plays itself home-home, so you get 14 games each. If you finish near the top, you're "promoted" and put in a national league for the second half, to play for the championship. There's different options at that point admittedly, whether the 24 teams are split in two national leagues (which still reduces travel costs, only having national travel for half the year) or maybe only the top 2 in each region are promoted, leaving the bottom 6 to continue regional play.

Either way, it could enhance regional rivalries, decrease travel costs, provide that hope of "promotion" and fear of "relegation", while also keeping teams competitive. So for instance, this point:

would be mitigated. You might get destroyed by some stronger teams in the first half, but then you're hopefully facing more equal teams in the second half and can even sneak your way to a lesser title.

I'm sure there are flaws with the idea, but it's something I've been mulling over and figured it'd be worth writing down 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Your idea is an interesting one and does sort of fit the split season model. The point about winning more by playing weaker teams is certainly valid.

14 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Remember the Duanne Rollins Fantasy League?

I seem to remember it being split very much in this way. Regional Leagues to start, with top 8 teams qualifying to the A-League, and others to a 2-division (East/West) B-League. There were 10-teams in either B-league, but this could easily be 8-team.

At the end of the season we had playoffs with the top-2 from from B-East & B-West entered in the first round with the bottom 4 from A. The top-4 from A entered in the 2nd round. Two-leg aggregate.

So in the end, you had a winner for each league, plus a champion from a final series of playoffs. 

@Gopherbashi never ended up presenting the possibility of a 2nd season, so the pro/rel aspect (as originally presented) never came into play. I would've just preferred a reset: Regional Spring, A & B league Fall, Final Cup competition.

This sounds similar to what you're proposing, and I kinda liked the format.

IRL: With an annual reset to Regionals, I would shorten the playoffs by excluding the bottom 4 from A-league. But other than that, a Regional Spring, and National/Divisional Fall leagues would work well and ensure we have representation from across the country in the A-league.

Also, having pronounced B-East and B-West out loud as Beast and Best would be hilarious. We would need better names for those leagues.

14 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

Play a first half season where each region plays itself home-home, so you get 14 games each. If you finish near the top, you're "promoted" and put in a national league for the second half, to play for the championship. There's different options at that point admittedly, whether the 24 teams are split in two national leagues (which still reduces travel costs, only having national travel for half the year) or maybe only the top 2 in each region are promoted, leaving the bottom 6 to continue regional play.

I think this is a good idea in theory, however it would probably be a scheduling nightmare, especially for teams that don't own their own stadium

1 minute ago, deschamp86 said:

I think this is a good idea in theory, however it would probably be a scheduling nightmare, especially for teams that don't own their own stadium

Valid point. Having experience as an event planner, I can tell you that booking venues, especially during the summer, can be insane.

Given the switch of teams from regional to national/divisional, it wouldn't even be possible to pre-book the home matches for that 2nd season (as significant overlap is possible).

35 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

More from Alex Bunbury despite the NDA:

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2019/06/11/la-premiere-ligue-canadienne-lorgne-quebec

My French is far from fluent but looks like it is probably more about Quebec City now than Laval.

This bit stands out...

“À Québec, cette nouvelle équipe pourrait élire domicile au stade TELUS de l’Université Laval qui contient 12 817 places assises. La CPL exige que ses franchises évoluent sur un terrain pouvant accueillir un minimum de 6000 personnes...”

I think the direct quote from Bunbury just after that was particularly noteworthy in that it specifically mentioned the possibility of using the Laval University varsity football stadium that people always speculate about, but people should note the cautionary part about there being no guarantee that the team will be born:

« Le stade de l'Université Laval serait intéressant pendant quelques années, après quoi on pourrait penser à bâtir un nouveau stade. C'est très excitant, mais il n'y a aucune garantie pour l'instant que l'équipe verra le jour », a précisé Bunbury, qui possède un club de troisième division au Portugal.

56 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

This bit stands out...

“À Québec, cette nouvelle équipe pourrait élire domicile au stade TELUS de l’Université Laval qui contient 12 817 places assises. La CPL exige que ses franchises évoluent sur un terrain pouvant accueillir un minimum de 6000 personnes...”

He added that they could build a new stadium after a few years at Telus

He also ends by saying there's no guarantee that there will be a team.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:48 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

My French is far from fluent but looks like it is probably more about Quebec City now than Laval.

Was it ever about playing in the city of Laval? If the plan is to have a Quebec City team at Laval University (which is in Quebec City), perhaps there was only ever one serious Quebec team in the offing, not two? (gosh, I hadn't realized that they'd amalgamated Sainte-Foy into Quebec City!)

(But I'm pretty ignorant on the issue - I'm just throwing it out there after reading this artcle)

Alex Bunbury was definitely talking about Laval the suburban city next to Montreal as being his main target.

https://northerntribune.ca/bunbury-cpl-montreal-bid/

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/bunbury-cpl-working-diligently-to-bring-a-club-to-montreal-1.1243315

{9:20 onwards}

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot