lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Just before people start getting their hopes up or developing unrealistic expectations, "potentially" is not the same as "probably" or "likely".

Not that the tweet means anything bad for the league if we're waiting until 2021 - just that nothing is being promised for 2020 with this tweet.  We just get to consider ourselves lucky if they beat expectations and announce something for next year.

Edited by Gopherbashi

I'm just hoping whatever it is, they'll still be playing in a Canadian league. I hope it isn't announcing a move to USL or PDL or whatever the names of their leagues are now

40 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm just hoping whatever it is, they'll still be playing in a Canadian league. I hope it isn't announcing a move to USL or PDL or whatever the names of their leagues are now

It won't be. I don't see  CSA allowing it. (Unless it's a NWSL team)

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Just before people start getting their hopes up or developing unrealistic expectations, "potentially" is not the same as "probably" or "likely"...

The most obvious possibilities right now are:

Saskatoon, which is already well documented on here and neatly fits the this month and potentially 2020 angle in Kurt Larson's tweet. Prairieland is known to be the preferred location and are sponsoring the SkSSS:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Prairieland+Park/@52.0914244,-106.662913,10702m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x5304f0c1757830db:0x634600bcb1873bc9!8m2!3d52.0984501!4d-106.6776397?hl=en

Ottawa, if OSEG like what they see so far.

Oakville given the tweet from Kurt Larson came the same day as the one from the Blue Devils about Wednesday's announcement. Sheridan College appears to be the obvious possibility for a pop-up if that were the case:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/49°08'45.0"N+122°39'58.0"W/@43.4675254,-79.7016709,573m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d49.145833!4d-122.666111?hl=en

trafalgar_athletic_centre.ashx?mw=1100&h

Somewhere in Quebec with Quebec City appearing more likely of late given the article that followed the NDA involving Alex Bunbury that focused on that city and the big university stadium as the possible initial location, but Laval having also been mentioned in dispatches a lot previously. According to a poster elsewhere who told us all about Spruce Meadows long before it was announced it could be both and the hiring of a French language writer for the CanPL website is a sign of things to come:

and as a dark horse, Langley, BC, from a redditor who claims inside knowledge and comes across as being credible (he's quite negative about Saskatoon's prospects of happening quickly):

That's a lot deeper into the Fraser Valley than Surrey was:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/49°08'45.0"N+122°39'58.0"W/@49.1650641,-122.7113965,30865m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d49.145833!4d-122.666111?hl=en

and there definitely appear to be possibilities there for a pop-up:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/49°08'45.0"N+122°39'58.0"W/@49.1481965,-122.6704627,504a,35y,146.25h,44.82t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d49.145833!4d-122.666111?hl=en

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Posted (edited)

Having seen what the league will accept for temp stadia in York I've straight up stopped worrying lack of facilities handicapping this region or that.  So long as there is something resembling a reasonable plan in place going forward I'm pretty sure the CPL would green light bleachers, portable toilets and light towers turning a mall car park into a temp stadium while the "future home of x" gets sorted out.

Asphalt playing surface may would be a bit fast but at least it would be regulation size.     

Edited by Cheeta

Last night, the Premier Podcast released its latest episode.

Michael Miller & Jeff Salisbury start off by provide updates/thoughts on Saskatoon & Quebec expansion (and then discuss other CPL topics). Jeff's insights are definitely worth tuning in for: https://www.northernstartingeleven.com/premier-podcast-s01e14-riding-high/

Edited highlights:

The would be ownership group in Saskatoon would be Joe Belan, Al Simpson (Regina) and Grant McLaughlin (?) (originally of Regina now based in Toronto)

2021 expected timeline

will be branded Saskatchewan

Michael Miller talks up AS Blainville in a big way at one point.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:05 PM, Blackdude said:

It won't be. I don't see  CSA allowing it. (Unless it's a NWSL team)

I don't imagine it will be either, but I didn't think TFC would be allowed to leave the Ontario system for USSDA either. I think the reasoning is that it's different because that club is basically already under the USSF umbrella since they play in MLS, but it just makes me go from thinking a move for Oakville to something like PDL is "unlikely" rather than "off the table"

Posted (edited)

Looking at the Oakville site, it looks almost ideal. Jason de Vos has ties to the club and the current President is Steven Caldwell. They could create a P3 with Sheridan College to expand the Stadium site to hold more events for the student body (over 20K) and the town itself (~200K). The location is 3.5km from the regional GO Rail Station and Oakville Place Mall and is served by several Oakville Transit bus routes. If they can get an additional investor with deep pockets, I think they could could be a successful franchise.

My one concern is the deepening concentration of franchises in the Golden Horseshoe. I could see half the League's teams being within a 2 hour drive of each other. London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Hamilton, Oakville, Brampton, Mississauga, York, Oshawa - that would give them an operational/financial advantage over the other franchises that have to travel to the GTA repeatedly by plane instead of by bus. Otoh, with 7.7 million potential fans that is over 20% of the Canadian population. If they get 8 viable clubs in such a small area, those core clubs would provide a stable base even if other clubs elsewhere in the country join, struggle/thrive and/or fold. 

Edited by Initial B

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I don't imagine it will be either, but I didn't think TFC would be allowed to leave the Ontario system for USSDA either. I think the reasoning is that it's different because that club is basically already under the USSF umbrella since they play in MLS, but it just makes me go from thinking a move for Oakville to something like PDL is "unlikely" rather than "off the table"

The CSA might not care as much these days, but Vic sure does, and Concacaf has to sign off on any cross-border play.

On 7/5/2019 at 4:45 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hi @Rintaran just want to say. I did an analysis of this last summer, and I think it shows  you are mistaken: RAP can be shared.

We all agree that RAP would be better but both the Highlanders and PFC determined that they could not work around the restrictions imposed by the Harbourcats. IT is not justabout when they actually play, it is about time required to change as the baseball configuration infringes on the soccer pitch. More importantly, scheduling is a huge dance where dates have to be blacked out that are eventually released after the schedule is finalized which may be to late to add to another schedule.

The point is MOOT. Westhills is our home for the foreseeable future and by the end of this season we will have one of the best stadiums for soccer in Canada.

Sounds good.  If L1O teams can get beer sponsors isnt that a step up??  Have to start somewhere, and getting corporate sponsorship is important.  I'm still kind of surprised we dont see more of that with existing CPL teams yet.  

25 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Sounds good.  If L1O teams can get beer sponsors isnt that a step up??  Have to start somewhere, and getting corporate sponsorship is important.  I'm still kind of surprised we dont see more of that with existing CPL teams yet.  

Teams may be waiting to build more popularity for a year or two in hopes of attracting bigger sponsors. 

Sign a beer sponsorship with a local brewery now, and lose out of Molson in a year. 

Obviously just one potential reason. 

1 hour ago, Reign said:

Teams may be waiting to build more popularity for a year or two in hopes of attracting bigger sponsors. 

Sign a beer sponsorship with a local brewery now, and lose out of Molson in a year. 

Obviously just one potential reason. 

L1O team sponsored by Molson???  That would be a coup considering Moosehead is the CPL official beer. 

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

L1O team sponsored by Molson???  That would be a coup considering Moosehead is the CPL official beer. 

I was referring to you saying you are surprised you don’t see more similar deals with cpl teams. Beer was just an example.