CPL new teams speculation

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I don't imagine it will be either, but I didn't think TFC would be allowed to leave the Ontario system for USSDA either. I think the reasoning is that it's different because that club is basically already under the USSF umbrella since they play in MLS, but it just makes me go from thinking a move for Oakville to something like PDL is "unlikely" rather than "off the table"

The CSA might not care as much these days, but Vic sure does, and Concacaf has to sign off on any cross-border play.

On 7/5/2019 at 4:45 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hi @Rintaran just want to say. I did an analysis of this last summer, and I think it shows  you are mistaken: RAP can be shared.

We all agree that RAP would be better but both the Highlanders and PFC determined that they could not work around the restrictions imposed by the Harbourcats. IT is not justabout when they actually play, it is about time required to change as the baseball configuration infringes on the soccer pitch. More importantly, scheduling is a huge dance where dates have to be blacked out that are eventually released after the schedule is finalized which may be to late to add to another schedule.

The point is MOOT. Westhills is our home for the foreseeable future and by the end of this season we will have one of the best stadiums for soccer in Canada.

25 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Sounds good.  If L1O teams can get beer sponsors isnt that a step up??  Have to start somewhere, and getting corporate sponsorship is important.  I'm still kind of surprised we dont see more of that with existing CPL teams yet.  

Teams may be waiting to build more popularity for a year or two in hopes of attracting bigger sponsors. 

Sign a beer sponsorship with a local brewery now, and lose out of Molson in a year. 

Obviously just one potential reason. 

1 hour ago, Reign said:

Teams may be waiting to build more popularity for a year or two in hopes of attracting bigger sponsors. 

Sign a beer sponsorship with a local brewery now, and lose out of Molson in a year. 

Obviously just one potential reason. 

L1O team sponsored by Molson???  That would be a coup considering Moosehead is the CPL official beer. 

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

L1O team sponsored by Molson???  That would be a coup considering Moosehead is the CPL official beer. 

I was referring to you saying you are surprised you don’t see more similar deals with cpl teams. Beer was just an example. 

On 7/10/2019 at 12:50 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The Oakville announcement turns out to be somewhat underwhelming:

I am from Oakville and delighted they didn't get the team. For 2 reasons

1. Because I am not going to stop supporting York 9

2. Terrible idea for more GTA clubs especially a primarily far suburban city like Oakville.

All for more Ontario clubs but keep them away from Toronto. Ottawa, London or Thunder Bay would be cool.

58 minutes ago, Ingham said:

I am from Oakville and delighted they didn't get the team. For 2 reasons

1. Because I am not going to stop supporting York 9

2. Terrible idea for more GTA clubs especially a primarily far suburban city like Oakville.

All for more Ontario clubs but keep them away from Toronto. Ottawa, London or Thunder Bay would be cool.

If Y9 doesn't pan out, they should go completely wild and create 905FC, which just bounces around between York, Durham, Halton, and Peel for all their home games.

Doesnt the lacrosse team bring in over 10,000 a game??  I know its not good to compare apples to oranges, but support of secondary non hockey sports will tell you something.  The Winnipeg goldeyes baseball have been around 20 years, and draw 4000 (near the top of their league), Valour open up shop and are bringing in roughly 6000.  If a soccer club in Saskatoon can get half of what the lacrosse boys get, they would be a huge CPL success story.  

If the study is being led by the Councillor from Ward 9 does that mean the location of the stadium is likely to be in Ward 9? That would be a little concerning as it's not exactly a central location.  The Milton GO line does run through that ward but it's not an all day service and isn't supposed to be upgraded to one for many years. 

On 7/14/2019 at 5:44 PM, Gopherbashi said:

I'm starting to lose track of how many "test balloons" there have been for an SK club.

Still on one? SK Summer Soccer Series. Barring disaster if looks like it will amp up more and return next summer too. 

It is a smart move if not frustrating for everyone hoping for a CPL team yesterday and immersed in an instant gratification and demand society. The ownership is slowly building staff, community partnerships, a young player pool and support. Much like Halifax its starting from scratch so a degree of caution and an effective long term building process is necessary. It's building a culture and one that is sustainable, that is easier said than done. 

On 7/14/2019 at 10:02 PM, Bison44 said:

Doesnt the lacrosse team bring in over 10,000 a game??  I know its not good to compare apples to oranges, but support of secondary non hockey sports will tell you something.  The Winnipeg goldeyes baseball have been around 20 years, and draw 4000 (near the top of their league), Valour open up shop and are bringing in roughly 6000.  If a soccer club in Saskatoon can get half of what the lacrosse boys get, they would be a huge CPL success story.  

14,639 average attendance, with what 500 of them originally Lacrosse fans? Maybe thats a harsh guess. It's all about the atmosphere and experience, we have all been saying that from the start though with growing and sustaining CPL crowds. The on field quality is obviously important but for drawing casuals and building the fan base there has to be both a familiarity but uniqueness to the fan day experience to get neutral people coming back. 

Arguably each game has to be an event experience. The Rush have done an incredible job with community outreach and being visible in the community, the importance of which can never be understated. Likewise they have done an incredible job at games making the atmosphere unique and themes week to week. It's basically a night out tied together with sport, arguably to the detriment of knowing what is going on in the game. No different to the crowd herding at CFL games. 

It is a balancing act when trying to build a culture. It can easily become more about the razzle dazzle than building an appreciation of the game. But if the grounds are full the books are balancing and the league is surviving. That's the temptation. It's also why places like this and supporter groups are so important.   

Not sure if this counts as a "test balloon" but there was also that Valencia vs New York Cosmos game a couple years ago. I remember at the time there was chatter about it potentially being used as an indicator of soccer interest. I don't think anyone directly involved with it was talking about starting a pro team there, but fans at least were thinking they could send a message by turning out in big numbers.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3438276/new-mosaic-stadium-set-to-host-valencia-cf-and-new-york-cosmos/

Think you'll find that Joe Belan was telling people at that point at fan group meetings that Saskatchewan would have the seventh team after the then anticipated 6 team soft launch in 2018. At the time the focus appears to have been on Regina with the hope being that part of the old Taylor Field could be converted into an SSS (a bit like the Edmonton scenario where FCE are playing on what was the original CFL stadium). Taylor Field was subsequently bulldozed by the city council and Saskatoon subsequently started to be talked up instead in newspaper articles.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Not really sure where to post this, but there is a rumour out there that USL is planning to kick the MLS reserve teams out of its top flight by 2021. 

Further proof that the CPL was correct to not accept MLS B teams in.