lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

Two Quebec teams is great for the league. Not everything has been perfect, but generally the league tends to do a good job with due process, marketing, etc. 

With that being said, priority one is getting through year 1 with all teams being either sustainable already, or at least have the potential to be. Early signs are great for Halifax, Valour, and Forge. I think PFC will be okay with summer approaching. Also they do have a solid season ticket base that takes up most of the main stands(and the more expensive seats). Edmonton seems to be okay for the league's business model. Cavalry has also had issues off the field in attendance. We will start to have a better idea with York after this weekend. 

The worst thing that can happen is have one or two that cannot or will not proceed in year 2. If all teams can survive, they will hopefully have a high season ticket renewal rate, and then add to the base.

Throw in two new Quebec teams, plus maybe Saskatchewan, Moncton, or Ottawa, and things are looking real good. I feel that adding teams, aside from Ottawa, should be the priority though. There are two teams in Ontario already, and if the league is not only standing, but looking good after two years, Ottawa will probably be begging to join. 

4 minutes ago, ktf said:

Two Quebec teams is great for the league. Not everything has been perfect, but generally the league tends to do a good job with due process, marketing, etc. 

With that being said, priority one is getting through year 1 with all teams being either sustainable already, or at least have the potential to be. Early signs are great for Halifax, Valour, and Forge. I think PFC will be okay with summer approaching. Also they do have a solid season ticket base that takes up most of the main stands(and the more expensive seats). Edmonton seems to be okay for the league's business model. Cavalry has also had issues off the field in attendance. We will start to have a better idea with York after this weekend. 

The worst thing that can happen is have one or two that cannot or will not proceed in year 2. If all teams can survive, they will hopefully have a high season ticket renewal rate, and then add to the base.

Throw in two new Quebec teams, plus maybe Saskatchewan, Moncton, or Ottawa, and things are looking real good. I feel that adding teams, aside from Ottawa, should be the priority though. There are two teams in Ontario already, and if the league is not only standing, but looking good after two years, Ottawa will probably be begging to join. 

I’d be genuinely surprised if any clubs fold in the first few years. I’m willing to bet that a condition of ownership (by the league) was that owners demonstrate the means and the willingness to see this thing through until a pre-determined benchmark (probably the WC in Canada if I had to guess) to give the league the best possible chance at success. 

I think that these clubs all have low operating budgets, so just with the MEDIAPRO thing and other sponsorship deals they’d be half way to breaking even. Factor in attendances of anything between 3k-5k and they’ll be breaking even. Anything more than that is probably profit. 

I’m very optimistic that this league will succeed, and I think they need to grow -but grow slowly and cautiously- ensuring that all future owners also have the means and the willingness to give it a good go for the long term. 

32 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

What league rules are not being complied with? I don’t think that has even been fully discussed yet.  Or at least none of us are really in the know.  

Well the league said that they were talking to the Fury for months or more and couldn't come to an agreement. That's negotiations.

36 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Look, I want an Ottawa team in the CPL.  I just don’t agree with the adversarial way you are proposing.  Cause if that’s the way it’s going to happen, I would think twice about buying a season ticket and supporting the league

Adversarial? That's business, it's not personal.

Most likely, if there's a deal, you would know little to no details of said deal and the ownership would start praising CPL until no end.

You'd buy tickets and support the league

3 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I’d be genuinely surprised if any clubs fold in the first few years. I’m willing to bet that a condition of ownership (by the league) was that owners demonstrate the means and the willingness to see this thing through until a pre-determined benchmark (probably the WC in Canada if I had to guess) to give the league the best possible chance at success. 

I think that these clubs all have low operating budgets, so just with the MEDIAPRO thing and other sponsorship deals they’d be half way to breaking even. Factor in attendances of anything between 3k-5k and they’ll be breaking even. Anything more than that is probably profit. 

I’m very optimistic that this league will succeed, and I think they need to grow -but grow slowly and cautiously- ensuring that all future owners also have the means and the willingness to give it a good go for the long term. 

I do agree with that, and also feel that some level of intial commitment was expected, but I would guess it is more in the two-three year range. I am genuinely very happy with and positive about the whole process and they keep it going. Just with expansion they need to keep that caution going, and for the sake of being a truly national league we need those teams in Quebec. 

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

Well the league said that they were talking to the Fury for months or more and couldn't come to an agreement. That's negotiations.

Adversarial? That's business, it's not personal.

Most likely, if there's a deal, you would know little to no details of said deal and the ownership would start praising CPL until no end.

You'd buy tickets and support the league

Hope you are correct.  In the meantime, I’ll enjoy watching both the CPL and USL this season.

On 5/25/2019 at 6:20 AM, Ams1984 said:

I’d be genuinely surprised if any clubs fold in the first few years.

I would not. Except for some kind of monetary punishment (which is limited) there's nothing the league can do to prevent a club owner from losing money. In fact, it's almost inevitable in a fledging league like the CanPL to see some contractions. 

5 hours ago, shamrock said:

I would not. Except for some kind of monetary punishment (which is limited) there's nothing the league can do to prevent a club owner from losing money. In fact, it's almost inevitable in a fledging league like the CanPL to see some contractions. 

I’m not saying it’s not possible, I’m saying I’d be surprised if it happened. The owners are all big money, they’re not the kind of businesses that just bail when their business plans probably call for losses for the first few years. If in fact their plans do call for that (which they most likely do) then why would they bail before the time of predicted losses elapses? The operating budgets of these clubs is nothing but a cute tax write off to most of these owners... I really doubt they’d be spooked by a tough first 3-5 years. 

I can see a team folding at some point - it happens in pro sports.  But I agree with the idea that it won't happen anytime soon.  Anyone going in to this expecting every team in every market to knock it out of the park in year 1 is probably not very business savvy. And I assume the owners are well aware of the dynamics of pro sports and went in eyes wide open.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I’m still holding out hope that we get the 2 Quebec teams plus Ottawa next year.  That would be really great.  

It's actually Saskatoon that appear to be furthest along on this given Ottawa are rumoured not to have given notice of leaving the USL where next season is concerned and there's no reason to expect CONCACAF to block their playing out sanctioning next year after setting the precedent by approving it this year. I'd take the Quebec stuff with a pinch of salt until we get solid info on investors and stadium plans. Even then K/W who had the former and Surrey who had the latter are cautionary tales that it doesn't always work out on the anticipated timeline.

7 hours ago, shamrock said:

The owners to be most wary of on this are any with dollar signs before their eyes that genuinely expected the league to be averaging 6000-8000 paid straight away and/or any that had inflated expectations on what soccer fans would actually be willing to pay in terms of ticket prices. Think what we have seen so far should be mildly encouraging to anyone who knew the lie of the land where pro soccer in North America is concerned. Having Tom Fath in the league meetings will probably helped inject a dose of reality in that regard. The salary budget is rumoured to have been drastically lowered, so they probably have already adjusted their expectations appropriately based on what they were seeing in terms of memberships last summer.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

24 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's actually Saskatoon that appear to be furthest along on this given Ottawa are rumoured not to have given notice of leaving the USL where next season is concerned and there's no reason to expect CONCACAF to block their playing out sanctioning next year after setting the precedent by approving it this year.

They have 6 months to give notice. It was shorten. 

Last year was about CONCACAF ruling less than a year from the USL season. CONCACAF could block them at the end of this season and be on time.

The rest of your post is just meh

13 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Leval team apparently announced tomorrow. Quebec city team apparently experiencing some minor issues so an announcement has been delayed.

Actually it is not referring to Québec City, is is referring to an announcement Tuesday for a first Québec team being announced for Laval. 

The team would not have any relationship with Impact.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Actually it is not referring to Québec City, is is referring to an announcement Tuesday for a first Québec team being announced for Laval. 

The team would not have any relationship with Impact.

But he adds comments on his Twitter about Quebec City and says it's more complicated. More so due to the city itself, less so due to the stadium

Edited by Ansem

if an announcement was happening the league would send out a press release to media to attend the event.

Sounds like someone jumped the gun on a source.

Which leads me to believe where there is smoke there is fire. They are close.

On 5/26/2019 at 11:00 AM, Ansem said:

They have 6 months to give notice.

Most such legal agreements have some kind of force majeure clause ... I'd think CONCACAF not licensing them would cut the minimum notice period!

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

if an announcement was happening the league would send out a press release to media to attend the event.

Sounds like someone jumped the gun on a source.

Which leads me to believe where there is smoke there is fire. They are close.

Very true however we don't know what this "announcement" will entail. It could just be a media release announcing the group and their intentions with a few details and date later in time at which more information will be released. Or it could be a full blown press event.

39 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

No announcement today. Not surprising considering how many times Bunbury has said an announcement was coming and then... nothing.

Creating a bit of a buzz about it both online and in the media to a certain extent may be the point of this particular exercise.

On May 25, 2019 at 3:42 PM, baulderdash77 said:

I’m still holding out hope that we get the 2 Quebec teams plus Ottawa next year.  That would be really great.  

That would really help the map in the sense of the gap between York and Halifax. Also to bring it to 10 teams, the remaining clubs could from SK (2), BC (1), NB (1), NFLD (1) and ON (1 or 2) 

- Fraser Valley/Vancouver Metro [Surrey]* or Kewlona

- Regina and Saskatoon 

- Missisauga, Tri-Cities, or London 

- New Brunswick (Moncton)

- St John's

* The likelier option

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

In my *ideal* 2020 season we would have Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City and then in an ideal 2021 season we would have Saskatoon and GVA.

That would be an almost perfectly distributed 12 team league getting into all the largest media and business markets from coast to coast.

+1 

GVA is Greater Vancouver Area? Aka Surrey?

Edited by Blackjack15

7 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

In my *ideal* 2020 season we would have Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City and then in an ideal 2021 season we would have Saskatoon and GVA.

That would be an almost perfectly distributed 12 team league getting into all the largest media and business markets from coast to coast.

I'd love to have them all join next season, but perhaps that's asking for too much. I do hope it's an even number of teams next season