CPL new teams speculation

13 hours ago, IAmPappy said:

I haven’t been following too closely, but I’m curious where things stand on new clubs? Which three-ish markets are front runners for the near-term, say 2020-2021? I’ve heard Laval, SK, and QC. What about in the mid-term, say 2021-2023? I’ve heard Moncton, Ottawa, GTA, and GVA. Is that about right?

Durham Region has been floated as a possibility in blogs and podcasts complete with a named lead investor and preferred stadium location, which adds credibility.

Suspect the experience with York 9 might cool things a bit on large metro suburban markets such as Durham, Laval and Fraser valley unless more fans start showing up in terms of actual as opposed to announced attendance and Quebec City might become the top expansion target in Quebec for that reason. It's now getting equal billing with Laval from Alex Bunbury.

There are groups known to have been potentially interested in St John's and Kitchener/Waterloo, and Saint John also got mentioned on blogs and podcasts after Moosehead became a league sponsor.

In total the league has claimed to be in contact with 22 groups and 18 markets, but some of those were probably highly preliminary. Kelowna, Windsor, London, Niagara, Mississauga and Barrie were also mentioned by Paul Beirne in a podcast earlier this year along with the possibility of regional intensification on franchise numbers to boost local rivalries in southern Ontario and Lower Mainland BC. Sherbrooke gets mentioned sometimes as the third possible Quebec market.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Durham Region has been floated as a possibility in blogs and podcasts complete with a named lead investor and preferred stadium location, which adds credibility.

Suspect the experience with York 9 might cool things a bit on large metro suburban markets such as Durham, Laval and Fraser valley unless more fans start showing up in terms of actual as opposed to announced attendance and Quebec City might become the top expansion target in Quebec for that reason. It's now getting equal billing with Laval from Alex Bunbury.

There are groups known to have been potentially interested in St John's and Kitchener/Waterloo, and Saint John also got mentioned on blogs and podcasts after Moosehead became a league sponsor.

In total the league has claimed to be in contact with 22 groups and 18 markets, but some of those were probably highly preliminary. Kelowna, Windsor, London, Niagara, Mississauga and Barrie were also mentioned by Paul Beirne in a podcast earlier this year along with the possibility of regional intensification on franchise numbers to boost local rivalries in southern Ontario and Lower Mainland BC. Sherbrooke gets mentioned sometimes as the third possible Quebec market.

With all that in mind, I decided to show the various markets and groups the CPL has been in contact with broken up into various "regions"

Eastern Canada

St-John's, NFLD

HFX Wanderers

New Brunswick (St-John or Moncton)

Quebec City

Sherbrooke

Montreal/Laval

Gatineau

Ottawa

Eastern Ontario

Durham Region (Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering)

York 9

Mississauga

Brampton

Oakville

Toronto (Varsity or Lamport Stadium)

Barrie

Western Ontario

Forge FC(Hamilton)

Grand River(Kitchener-Waterloo)

London

Windsor

Niagara

Sudbury

Western Canada

Valour FC(Winnipeg)

Regina

Saskatoon

Cavalry FC(Calgary)

FC Edmonton

Kelowna

Lower Mainland BC(Surrey or Langley)

Vancouver (Richmond, Flight FC)

Pacific FC(Victoria)

Let me know if I have missed any places.

Edited by Impactsupporter
was not finished hit button too soon

13 hours ago, Impactsupporter said:

With all that in mind, I decided to show the various markets and groups the CPL has been in contact with broken up into various "regions"

Eastern Canada

St-John's, NFLD

HFX Wanderers

New Brunswick (St-John or Moncton)

Quebec City

Sherbrooke

Montreal/Laval

Gatineau

Ottawa

Eastern Ontario

York 9

Mississauga

Brampton

Oakville

Barrie

Western Ontario

Forge FC(Hamilton)

London

Windsor

Niagara

Sudbury

Western Canada

Valour FC(Winnipeg)

Regina

Saskatoon

Cavalry FC(Calgary)

FC Edmonton

Kelowna

Lower Mainland BC(Surrey or Langley)

Vancouver (Richmond, Flight FC)

Pacific FC(Victoria)

Let me know if I have missed any places.

I can't think of any you've left out, but what is Flight FC in Vancouver?  I haven't seen that mentioned before.

NB:  St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador.  Saint John, New Brunswick

https://www.ffa.com.au/sites/ffa/files/2019-05/Whole_of_Football_Plan.pdf

goto page 84 and the composition of the A-League.   One interesting area: Every major Australian center with a population over 500 000 has the  market size to host and A-League club  and no pro-rel between A-League and National Premier Leagues  (Yet Paul Beirne wanted Canadian centers with populations of 200 000 to host CPL a club.

Just a thought.

The A League spends significantly more on players than CanPL does and would not be comfortable using 6,000 seat popups, so the smaller scale of operations means that we can more easily aspire to having a Morwell Falcons on board some day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gippsland_Falcons_SC

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/when-the-falcons-took-flight-a-region-soared-with-them--but-crash-was-coming-20111201-1o9a0.html

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

22 minutes ago, Impactsupporter said:

https://www.ffa.com.au/sites/ffa/files/2019-05/Whole_of_Football_Plan.pdf

goto page 84 and the composition of the A-League.   One interesting area: Every major Australian center with a population over 500 000 has the  market size to host and A-League club  and no pro-rel between A-League and National Premier Leagues  (Yet Paul Beirne wanted Canadian centers with populations of 200 000 to host CPL a club.

Just a thought.

Perhaps the thinking is that a Canadian league may have more sponsorship money potential than an Australian league. While most people think of Australia as having a similar population to Canada, Canada's is actually about 50% higher than Australia (25 million to 37 million). Of course for that to pan out the CPL would need viewership of the league to go up in areas that don't have teams.

I can't draw any conclusions from this next data point, but I was curious how many more markets it would open up if Australia used the 200k benchmark instead of 500k.

Cities with more than 500k population: Australia - 6, Canada - 10
Cities with between 200k and 500k: Australia - 6, Canada - 10

23 hours ago, Impactsupporter said:

Eastern Ontario

York 9

Mississauga

Brampton

Oakville

Barrie

Western Ontario

Forge FC(Hamilton)

London

Windsor

Niagara

Sudbury

Placing Sudbury in Western Ontario is hilarious. Also I don't think its happening.

21 hours ago, Impactsupporter said:

I admit, I forgot about this site. I guess I should either update it or shut it down, eh?

There aren't very many who have stepped forward to be involved with this "group" (like 3, including myself and a guy in North Bay). There are zero credible rumours concerning a team in Northern Ontario.

The most likely owner, Dario Zulich, is currently tied up fighting to get his Kingsway Entertainment District through the LPAT system. Until that's resolved, he's unlikely to explore the idea of expanding his sports holdings beyond the Sudbury Wolves (hockey), Sudbury Five (pro basketball), and Sudbury Spartans (football). In some of the early proposals, there was talk of an outdoor stadium "potentially" being added to the KED, but it hasn't been brought up since the very early stages.

Additionally, although both indoor soccer domes are moving forward, the "public" one has downsized as a result of Ford's cutting their announced funding. Both are still slated to open sometime in "Fall 2019," but there's no word on any connections between the two facilities and pro or semi-pro ambitions.

Furthermore, the changed requirements in L1O, which will require an L1O Reserve squad to launch simultaneously, eliminates Sudbury (and all of Northern Ontario) from obtaining any presence in that league. The availability (or lack thereof) of the coach & referee training in the North has resulted in no club or group coming even close to the standards needed to launch an OPDL team in Sudbury, let alone L1O & L1O reserves.

Short of me personally winning the big prizes on both Lotto 649 and Lotto Max, I think we can count Sudbury out of the running for the near-to-medium-term. 

I'm still dreaming it could happen, but as for Pro or Semi-Pro Soccer in Sudbury, there's nothing but crickets and craters.

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You have had semi-pro soccer in the past for what it's worth.

http://www.sudburymuseums.ca/index.cfm?app=w_vmuseum&lang=en&currID=1679

It's worth about as much as your constant comparisons of CPL to CSL: not one bit.

That being said, thanks for the link to the museum. There's lots of interesting stuff on there. Not particularly relevant given literally everything has changed since the 60s & 70s, but interesting history nonetheless.

Latest in Montreal from the dude who didn't buy the Alouettes:

It's a bit bizarre that Alex Bunbury would have contacted him so publicly on Twitter:

Just when it was looking like he was about to buy the Alouettes:

Would you do that if you already had other investors lined up and ready, willing and able to pull the trigger on expansion for 2020 or if you thought there was a risk that the recipient of said tweet would tell you to get lost?

8 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Latest in Montreal from the dude who didn't buy the Alouettes:

It's a bit bizarre that Alex Bunbury would have contacted him so publicly on Twitter:

Just when it was looking like he was about to buy the Alouettes:

Would you do that if you already had other investors lined up and ready, willing and able to pull the trigger on expansion for 2020 or if you thought there was a risk that the recipient of said tweet would tell you to get lost?

It's not just bizarre.......I'd say it's discouraging in light of the noise about an imminent announcement. Hopefully he was just contacting him about a possible appearance on Dragon's Den rather than about investing in a CPL club. ;)

9 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It's not just bizarre.......I'd say it's discouraging in light of the noise about an imminent announcement. Hopefully he was just contacting him about a possible appearance on Dragon's Den rather than about investing in a CPL club. ;)

Kinda reminds me of when Dasovic contacted an English player that was from Edmonton, England through Twitter, about playing for the Canadian U23s lol

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Bunbury's so full of hot air at this point that I expect to see him floating into the sunset with a giant RE/MAX logo painted on his side.

REMAX-Balloon.png