Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Don’t know if it matters or not, but of all the names here, are they not too big for it to matter with respect to missing training camp? Like if a big Italian club pays €15-20 for Tajon, are they really going to bench him because he missed camp? They’re paying for talent. Same with Larin.

Depends on the coach. It wouldn't be that the player is benched just because they missed preseason training, it would be more along the lines that the player would be benched because they haven't fully integrated into the coaches tactics and coordinated movements. This is regularly the case in Italy.

As an example, if Conte returns to Inter and they sign Buchanan, I would say that is the prime scenario where a player would start the season on the bench until they fully grasp the coaches position expectations.

I had a look at Malmo’s schedule just to see how disruptive Cornelius leaving would be. It’s actually way better than I expected. Between the start of Nations League and the Final of the Gold Cup, Malmo only plays 3 games all month. They didn’t qualify for Europe last year, and they’re already out of the Swedish Cup.

(2022 League position in brackets)

June 10 @ IFK Värnamo (10th)

June 15 - Nations League

June 27 - Gold Cup Starts

July 1 vs Sirius (11th)

July 8/9 - Gold Cup QF

July 9 vs Mjällby (9th)

July 12 - Gold Cup SF

July 16 - Gold Cup Final

July 17 @ Djurgårdens (2nd)

July 22 @ AIK (5th)

I tend to think Malmö lets Cornelius go with their blessing, considering the opponents they face and the potential added transfer value a good International showing could bring. If we’re getting creative, Derek could even be left off the NL roster to accommodate the Sirius game, and then join the squad in time for the third game of the Gold Cup group stage. Maybe Vitoria plays NL and then bounces for some well earned rest, and Kennedy/Cornelius get a shot at the middle for the GC.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 2:21 PM, trc2014 said:

Didn’t see this over the weekend:

Derek Cornelius started in another Malmo win over Halmstad, making it eight straight victories to start the season. However, Cornelius exited with an apparent injury in the 76th minute. Hopefully it’s nothing serious.

Hypothetically if he wasn’t ready for the summer:

NL: Miller-Vitoria-Kennedy?

Gold Cup: Miller-Kennedy-Hiebert?

48 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I expect we'll see Zator at RCB this summer.

No disrespect to what he’s accomplished in Poland, and I think we’ll get a look at him, but I can’t see him starting over any of those three at the moment. Kennedy looked reasonably comfortable on the right, Hiebert has been excellent for St. Louis, and Miller has recaptured his form in Miami.

9 hours ago, footballfreak said:

No disrespect to what he’s accomplished in Poland, and I think we’ll get a look at him, but I can’t see him starting over any of those three at the moment. Kennedy looked reasonably comfortable on the right, Hiebert has been excellent for St. Louis, and Miller has recaptured his form in Miami.

I agree. I also think theres a good chance AJ recovers in time? 

Waterman could also push zator in the depth charts but I think we go with a back 4 over starting waterman or zator. 

Neither scenarios included cornelius either. 

As long as Vitoria starts for Canada and he's having a great season, Kennedy has to be included in a back 3/4. His speed  balances Vitoria's lack of pace and also has the height that both AJ & Miller lack. There were several games in  WCQ & WC where we got beat easily for pace at the back and where we looked vulnerable defending crosses into the box. If we are going to challenge Mexico & the USA we have to get stronger at the back and a different  player combo may be the solution. I'm not sure if AJ is good to go for NL, but Kennedy & Derek both had 2 strong games vs Curacao & Honduras. 

Edited by Kadenge

11 hours ago, footballfreak said:

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

I agree. I also think theres a good chance AJ recovers in time? 

Waterman could also push zator in the depth charts but I think we go with a back 4 over starting waterman or zator. 

Neither scenarios included cornelius either. 

I think a lot of the decisions will come down to availability. 

Cornelius team plays through the Gold Cup, and he's looking like their best defender leading his backline who have yet to be defeated.

Kennedy should be there if he re-signs with a relegated JR...but may not be if he's at a new club and needs to gel. 

I feel like Heibert, and Zator are locks for the GC.

• 2 weeks later...