Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

Just now, Big_M said:

and the fans invade the pitch and flares go off

Was looking at twitter and there were quite a few stadium images with flares, even games where they were not playing for anything. Bit surprised.

Also on Twitter, a lot of fans tired of Malmo winning so much, I have no perception of them bossing it but I guess they have.

Great result.   We now have a defender who will be in CL qualification rounds next year.  That is pretty amazing.   DC is going to be 26 in a couple of weeks so will likely be at a defender’s peak for 2026.   Regardless of the hype around the young prospects, Derek is a solid bet to anchor our defence at the next WC.  By that time he will be a veteran with solid European experience.  

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Great season for Derek, congrats to him and the team. 

I would have liked to have seen the last minutes but couldn't find a stream.

Did watch the last bit. 

A lot of the attack against came on the other side from him.  But stalwart when they started lobbing balls in.

Hopefully learned a lot in some huge situations, with a decent veteran in Pontus Jansson and in a back three.

16 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Did watch the last bit. 

A lot of the attack against came on the other side from him.  But stalwart when they started lobbing balls in.

Hopefully learned a lot in some huge situations, with a decent veteran in Pontus Jansson and in a back three.

Was that a three man back line, was not sure from the reports?

In any case, I totally agree, performing under duress and high tension, excellent stuff. 

52 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Did watch the last bit. 

Likely learned alot from quite a few of his teammates. Have an impressive, although aging group of defenders on the team.

Olsson - over 300 games split between the English Premier League and championship 

Jansonn - 65 games in Premier league and Serie A, with nearly 200 more in the Championship

Moisander - 200 games with top Dutch clubs, 22 in Seria A, and another 125 in Bundesliga

On 11/12/2023 at 12:22 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was that a three man back line, was not sure from the reports?

In any case, I totally agree, performing under duress and high tension, excellent stuff. 

Malmo seems to alternate between back 3 and 4.  Last 6 games have been 2 with a back 3 and 4 with a 4-man.  He was playing LCB in a 3-man, not centrally.

I hope we see Cornelius start in Jamaica. I haven't really watched him with Malmo, but if he is not really a dedicated middle CB last going off, do we want to use him that way in Jamaica? I wasn't really convinced about him in the middle versus Japan, but maybe that was more about Japan pressing well than Derek being a good fit. He will probably get a lot more time on the ball down in Jamaica and his best attribute is his passing. Very curious to see how we line up in the back on Friday.

11 hours ago, costarg said:

Malmo seems to alternate between back 3 and 4.  Last 6 games have been 2 with a back 3 and 4 with a 4-man.  He was playing LCB in a 3-man, not centrally.

This makes sense to me. He seems to run channels decently well. My assessment is that he can track runners better than miller, is better in the air, but more limited in his passing. Miller tends to break lines better and perhaps defends better than cornelius when the game is in front of him (although im not too confident with that statement). Cornelius still seems like he needs to focus on his game to be a starter on CMNT, while his next step of development would be to focus on making the entire backline stronger and more organized. 

10 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

This makes sense to me. He seems to run channels decently well. My assessment is that he can track runners better than miller, is better in the air, but more limited in his passing. Miller tends to break lines better and perhaps defends better than cornelius when the game is in front of him (although im not too confident with that statement). Cornelius still seems like he needs to focus on his game to be a starter on CMNT, while his next step of development would be to focus on making the entire backline stronger and more organized. 

I think you are right, even though I tend to classify Cornelius as the better passer of the two. I think part of it is that Miller has simply played more than Cornelius, because to be a good passer means you must anticipate the movement and timing of your teammates and that comes down to reps. I bet it would be the other way around (and then some) had Cornelius been the starter and Miller the bench player.

49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think you are right, even though I tend to classify Cornelius as the better passer of the two. I think part of it is that Miller has simply played more than Cornelius, because to be a good passer means you must anticipate the movement and timing of your teammates and that comes down to reps. I bet it would be the other way around (and then some) had Cornelius been the starter and Miller the bench player.

I think that Cornelius is a better possession keeper and Miller is a better line breaker, but this isn't based on anything but anecdotal viewing. It could also just be more of a mentality thing than an ability thing. I think Cornelius has a higher ceiling as a passer e.g. if you asked him to play progressive, line breaking passes as part of the game plan then I think he could be better at it than Miller.

15 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I think that Cornelius is a better possession keeper and Miller is a better line breaker, but this isn't based on anything but anecdotal viewing. It could also just be more of a mentality thing than an ability thing. I think Cornelius has a higher ceiling as a passer e.g. if you asked him to play progressive, line breaking passes as part of the game plan then I think he could be better at it than Miller.

@Obinna This is my view. different types of passing. In a back 3, you need your outside Cb's to progress play more than in a back 4. Thats where miller is better than cornelius. Its similar how de ligt is a better CB than timber for the netherlands but timber plays rcb over him because his ability to pass through lines. 

12 hours ago, costarg said:

Not sure what site that comes from. Olsson (a converted full-back like Johnston) has been playing CB with Jansson and Cornelius ( maybe sites are mistaken because he was a wide player for most of his career). They played some 4 at the back  in the loss to Hacken recently but everything else I have seen in this stretch run has been 3 at the back.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I hope we see Cornelius start in Jamaica. I haven't really watched him with Malmo, but if he is not really a dedicated middle CB last going off, do we want to use him that way in Jamaica? I wasn't really convinced about him in the middle versus Japan, but maybe that was more about Japan pressing well than Derek being a good fit. He will probably get a lot more time on the ball down in Jamaica and his best attribute is his passing. Very curious to see how we line up in the back on Friday.

Especially before Jansson came to Malmo, he was playing in the centre but looks more comfortable on the left in a 3.  In my opinion.

Playing him with Vitoria and Johnston would actually be quite similar to what he has been doing the last few months.  As I said Olsson was a fullback (notably with Nar'ch in England) and Jansson is smart and big but slow. 

Not that I necessarily recommend that; you can see, even in highlights, Swedish teams dumping the ball over the top to catch Jansson, especially, out.  Jamaica will have better, faster forwards 

12 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not sure what site that comes from. Olsson (a converted full-back like Johnston) has been playing CB with Jansson and Cornelius ( maybe sites are mistaken because he was a wide player for most of his career). They played some 4 at the back  in the loss to Hacken recently but everything else I have seen in this stretch run has been 3 at the back.

You could be right, I haven't actually watched, I just pulled up the lineups online cause I was also curious.

7 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

@Obinna This is my view. different types of passing. In a back 3, you need your outside Cb's to progress play more than in a back 4. Thats where miller is better than cornelius. Its similar how de ligt is a better CB than timber for the netherlands but timber plays rcb over him because his ability to pass through lines. 

I would disagree somewhat, Cornelius played left back in a pinch in a game a few months back.  His movement there was actually pretty good.  I think he's as pacey or more so than Miller.

I just really don't know who the centre is if you keep going three at the back.  Some old school threes had the centre as a smaller ball-playing kind of sweeper but that needs really good pace.

26 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I find when Cornelius attempts to break lines with Canada they can be inaccurate, but he does attempt to play those. That's why I think it's down to reps more than him not having that in his repratiore. Miller on the other hand seems to have the timing of the passes down pat, relatively speaking (I think he could be even more consistent), which leads to more completions. 

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I would disagree somewhat, Cornelius played left back in a pinch in a game a few months back.  His movement there was actually pretty good.  I think he's as pacey or more so than Miller.

I just really don't know who the centre is if you keep going three at the back.  Some old school threes had the centre as a smaller ball-playing kind of sweeper but that needs really good pace.

Back three really needs more pace and height.  We'd have to balance it out better if we want to stick with it, something along the lines of:

Cornelius-Kennedy-MacGraw(or MacNaughton)

Kennedy hasn't been as composed as Vitoria, however his height and speed is required.  Partner him with stable more stay-home CB's on either side and it might just work.  Still not my preference, but it at least gives us a better chance and coverage than what we've been seeing.

7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I 100% agree with what youre saying. but you are talking about movements of a left back. Id take cornelius at lb over miller. I also think his 1v1 defending in wide areas is better than miller- ish... tough call. 

Im just comparing the types of passes each perform. My eye test is that cornelius typically progresses the ball sideways or through a midfielder or out wide to his wingback. While miller (who also does these passes) more often will bypass our 6's and 8's to find either our 10 or strikers. It could be ability related or could be a risk tolerance thing as cornelius wants to not make mistakes in order to enhance his reputation on the team. 

19 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I 100% agree with what youre saying. but you are talking about movements of a left back. Id take cornelius at lb over miller. I also think his 1v1 defending in wide areas is better than miller- ish... tough call. 

Im just comparing the types of passes each perform. My eye test is that cornelius typically progresses the ball sideways or through a midfielder or out wide to his wingback. While miller (who also does these passes) more often will bypass our 6's and 8's to find either our 10 or strikers. It could be ability related or could be a risk tolerance thing as cornelius wants to not make mistakes in order to enhance his reputation on the team. 

Miller plays those like a player who is confident he won't be dropped from the team, I will say that.