Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

Just now, trc2014 said:

I see the “Miller and Waterman need to get out of Montreal” talks, but are they blameless in these blowout losses?  Honest question, didn’t see the games.

Well Camacho got the red which sunk them against VWC and the kid gave up the handball PK last night.  |The 2 long rangers lately were more of the mids/forwards (Quioto on one) didnt close down the shooters and gave them time to pick their spots.  But no, you are definitely right, they are not blameless and the whole team looks disjointed 

I always thought overseas talk was awfully early, especially for Waterman, there is still room for them to grow and hone their craft in MLS eh?  Although Cornelius (lesser extent Zator) has shown there are more than one ways to skin a cat and you dont have to stay in MLS/NA if its a bad spot and you cant get steady playing time.  Very happy Cornelius has gotten himself back into the mix. 

39 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I see the “Miller and Waterman need to get out of Montreal” talks, but are they blameless in these blowout losses?  Honest question, didn’t see the games.

Montreal has scored 3 goals this year. All of them occurred in the same game. Not going to give Miller and Waterman a completely free pass because Montreal’s defence isn’t exactly top of the league right now, but even if they were absolute studs, CFM would still be the worst team in the league. 

Hoping Losada doesn’t make it until may, then we’ll see. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

39 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

No expert here, but I do have some personal experience on the matter.  Either they're mentally checked out, or their bodies are just worn out. 

Waterman looks like he can't do what he used to do, or what his brain wants to do.  Regularly seems a step behind or an inch too low.  In the past it was more of a decision making thing, but his body seemed inline with what his brain was trying to do.  Not the case this year.

Miller seems worn out by the 10-15th minute.

Meanwhile Choiniere looks like a gazelle out there.

I've alluded to what i think the issue is on another thread.  Basically, word on the street is Losado has them running marathons in training.  You can clearly see the energy is not there for a lot of the guys on game day.  Some guys it shows more than others, stark change from last years fitness levels.  Guys with builds like Miller and Wanyama generally don't seem like the maraton types and they seem affected more than others.  

18 hours ago, costarg said:

No expert here, but I do have some personal experience on the matter.  Either they're mentally checked out, or their bodies are just worn out. 

Waterman looks like he can't do what he used to do, or what his brain wants to do.  Regularly seems a step behind or an inch too low.  In the past it was more of a decision making thing, but his body seemed inline with what his brain was trying to do.  Not the case this year.

Miller seems worn out by the 10-15th minute.

Meanwhile Choiniere looks like a gazelle out there.

I've alluded to what i think the issue is on another thread.  Basically, word on the street is Losado has them running marathons in training.  You can clearly see the energy is not there for a lot of the guys on game day.  Some guys it shows more than others, stark change from last years fitness levels.  Guys with builds like Miller and Wanyama generally don't seem like the maraton types and they seem affected more than others.  

We're gonna see the same shit that came out in DC come out here.

Losada hasn't learned his lesson.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Wasnt there a MLS coach a few years back that wouldnt let the guys take water breaks...was that this guy??

1 hour ago, RS said:

Yes.

He also caused one of his players to develop an eating disorder. Allegedly.

Wasn't the water thing Heinze at Atlanta?

I think it was Chris Seitz who got an eating disorder. Apparently he was always just naturally a bit chunky which Losada couldn't wrap his head around and assumed Seitz didn't know how to take care of himself.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Wasn't the water thing Heinze at Atlanta?

I think it was Chris Seitz who got an eating disorder. Apparently he was always just naturally a bit chunky which Losada couldn't wrap his head around and assumed Seitz didn't know how to take care of himself.

You may be right, I could have been conflating the two.

Either way, Losada has a terrible reputation that you think he'd be trying his hardest to change, but it appears to be more of the same.

1 hour ago, Jack1997 said:

If you look at the leagues past transfers it looks like they have a lot of transfers to top table eriedivise or low-mid table top 5 leagues, with how Cornelius has been playing it’d be cool to see him make a move like that in a year or 2.

Normally I am not one to advocate for immediate moves when guys start achieving some success but in this case I’d like to see him progress as rapidly as possible.   As long as he continues to get playing time, I would love to see a move to a tougher league.  He is one of the main candidates for a central spot anchoring our defence for the next couple of cycles so I am all for forging him into an excellent CB.  

Pontus Jansson is joining in July so he’ll have a high quality defensive partner. Many Swedish fans are loving him already and it will be interesting to see if they can make noise in Europe. I saw one fan say he may be the leagues signing of the year.

I wonder if his club schedule keeps him from joining us at the Gold Cup however.

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I wonder if his club schedule keeps him from joining us at the Gold Cup however.

I thought about this as well…

If he were, he would be missing 3 games if we make it to the finals. Maybe he goes to NL, and skips Gold Cup?

I’m waiting for the JH presser where he’s asked these roster questions. 

On 4/17/2023 at 9:09 PM, Shway said:

I’m waiting for the JH presser where he’s asked these roster questions. 

The ever so charismatic JH answered this question tonight before the TSS Rovers Vs Valour game.

He said his priority is to worry about the NL, and then assess who’s (willing) able to play the daunting schedule of the Gold Cup. 

He mentioned he knows that some guys will be making moves, and will require preseasons with their new clubs….

Soooo I suspect we see a heavily rotated squad. 

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

The ever so charismatic JH answered this question tonight before the TSS Rovers Vs Valour game.

He said his priority is to worry about the NL, and then assess who’s (willing) able to play the daunting schedule of the Gold Cup. 

He mentioned he knows that some guys will be making moves, and will require preseasons with their new clubs….

I missed the interview but did he indicate how many players would fall in this category? David, Larin, Adekugbe, Ugbo are the only names that come to my mind. Buchanan may fall into this category, but it's not like David where his move is a near certainty, or Larin and Adekugbe where things are up in the air, nor is he in a bad spot and needing to move like Ugbo. 

Regardless, it seems to me like 5 players maximum fall into this category. Throw in another 1-2 unforeseen curveballs, because injuries happen and circumstances change.

So let's say 6-7 players will be switched up, perhaps. That's not overly heavy rotation, is it? 

I think the problem may be that it could be the top end guys missing. Our top two scorers, our 2nd best (or arguably best) winger, a borderline starting fullback, and a back up forward. That stings, but other teams will have to rotate, too. 

6 hours ago, Shway said:

I 100% agree that if you focus on two critical matches and win, you can loosen up on the GC.

Just wondering if they'll let us define the roster late. The real problem is that all call ups go through the club and you have to give minimum lead time for any player, even if they're in the offseason.

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

I missed the interview but did he indicate how many players would fall in this category? David, Larin, Adekugbe, Ugbo are the only names that come to my mind. Buchanan may fall into this category, but it's not like David where his move is a near certainty, or Larin and Adekugbe where things are up in the air, nor is he in a bad spot and needing to move like Ugbo. 

Regardless, it seems to me like 5 players maximum fall into this category. Throw in another 1-2 unforeseen curveballs, because injuries happen and circumstances change.

So let's say 6-7 players will be switched up, perhaps. That's not overly heavy rotation, is it? 

I think the problem may be that it could be the top end guys missing. Our top two scorers, our 2nd best (or arguably best) winger, a borderline starting fullback, and a back up forward. That stings, but other teams will have to rotate, too. 

There is the possibility that Larin and Adekugbe have their moves sorted out. Regardless, I see Larin coming because he hasn’t played much this season and even if his move hasn’t sorted out I don’t see him banging in another few goals for Canada hurting any potential move - same for Ugbo. David I understand because he’s had a long season and is being chased by a different calibre of club. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

There is the possibility that Larin and Adekugbe have their moves sorted out. Regardless, I see Larin coming because he hasn’t played much this season and even if his move hasn’t sorted out I don’t see him banging in another few goals for Canada hurting any potential move - same for Ugbo. David I understand because he’s had a long season and is being chased by a different calibre of club. 

Good points. If Larin permanently joins Valladolid missing some of pre-season may not be critical. He's already has familiarity with the club and chemistry with his teammates.

Ditto with Adekugbe, but if they win the title (which is likely) Galatasary will be playing UCL qualifiers on July 11-12 and 18-19. That is smack-dab in the middle of the GC knockout rounds.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Good points. If Larin permanently joins Valladolid missing some of pre-season may not be critical. He's already has familiarity with the club and chemistry with his teammates.

Ditto with Adekugbe, but if they win the title (which is likely) Galatasary will be playing UCL qualifiers on July 11-12 and 18-19. That is smack-dab in the middle of the GC knockout rounds.

IIRC Turkish champions qualify for the group stage so they wouldn’t be playing those qualifiers. See Besiktas in 2021-2022.

21 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

IIRC Turkish champions qualify for the group stage so they wouldn’t be playing those qualifiers. See Besiktas in 2021-2022.

For next season they will qualify for qualifiers. They must have changed the Turk1 entry point, possibly based on past results. Turkish clubs have been dreadful in Europe lately.

Don’t know if it matters or not, but of all the names here, are they not too big for it to matter with respect to missing training camp? Like if a big Italian club pays €15-20 for Tajon, are they really going to bench him because he missed camp? They’re paying for talent. Same with Larin.

I can imagine it’s more the tier of players like Loturi, Brym, Ugbo, those are guys who could theoretically move somewhere and need to earn their spot in camp.

Not to say that some bigger names won’t miss out because they’ve played so much over the last year, but I think our best players would be as close to a guarantee of playing time and position on the team if they’re being purchased for millions of dollars. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Don’t know if it matters or not, but of all the names here, are they not too big for it to matter with respect to missing training camp? Like if a big Italian club pays €15-20 for Tajon, are they really going to bench him because he missed camp? They’re paying for talent. Same with Larin.

I can imagine it’s more the tier of players like Loturi, Brym, Ugbo, those are guys who could theoretically move somewhere and need to earn their spot in camp.

Not to say that some bigger names won’t miss out because they’ve played so much over the last year, but I think our best players would be as close to a guarantee of playing time and position on the team if they’re being purchased for millions of dollars. 

You can look at it the other way though - spending $20M on Tajon may come with an expectation that he do everything in his power to immediately justify the investment.,  These aren't 17 yr old prospects - these are guys entering or in their prime years and who will be expected to contribute immediately.  Dropped points at the start of a season are worth exactly the same as dropped points at the end of the season.