Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's a good question and something I ask myself.

Maybe we are just so used to seeing two rcbs that it's "normal" and since lcbs are more rare it gives the impression that it's problematic.

Or, perhaps rcbs who play left are more practiced since it's a more common thing to see and thus they do the job well enough that it's never an issue or something to discuss. 

Maybe it is a bit of both or something else...What do you think?

Random thought: the majority of attackers shoot and do most of their creative attacking play with their right foot.

Perhaps an argument could be made that you might be better suited to defend a righty as a CB who is naturally left footed. No expert here but coming from a family of CBs.

31 minutes ago, nolando said:

Random thought: the majority of attackers shoot and do most of their creative attacking play with their right foot.

Perhaps an argument could be made that you might be better suited to defend a righty as a CB who is naturally left footed. No expert here but coming from a family of CBs.

I've played a lot of CB in my youth days in a back 4 and for whatever reason I kind of preferred the left or at least I can say it made little difference which spot it was.

Maybe part of it was because I was relatively comfortable with both feet but maybe there is something to what you are saying here....

If you're defending the inside and forcing an attacker wide that is easier for left sided CBs, since most attackers are right footed and would try to get to the inside by cutting in from the left 🤔

Many layers to it though surely ...

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

It's a good question and something I ask myself.

Maybe we are just so used to seeing two rcbs that it's "normal" and since lcbs are more rare it gives the impression that it's problematic.

Or, perhaps rcbs who play left are more practiced since it's a more common thing to see and thus they do the job well enough that it's never an issue or something to discuss. 

Maybe it is a bit of both or something else...What do you think?

I'm agnostic (i.e. didn't grow up playing soccer and haven't done any research). If I had to guess, though, I would suspect there isn't much difference.

I think the biggest reason to have LCB’s being left footed and vice versa for RCB’s is the most obvious pass is to your fullback. When being closed down by a striker or winger it’s much easier to pass around that player with your left and also the arc of the pass bends around attacking players rather than toward them. It’s only a matter of a couple of yards up close or a few yards at distance but can make all the difference.  Also, when you are running back to goal and a winger whips in a low cross it’s much easier to clear with the inside of your stronger leg than the outside of it if you are playing it with your right and it’s your stronger foot.  Of course, some players have a strong weaker foot and so it might not matter that much to them.’

9 hours ago, An Observer said:

I think the biggest reason to have LCB’s being left footed and vice versa for RCB’s is the most obvious pass is to your fullback. When being closed down by a striker or winger it’s much easier to pass around that player with your left and also the arc of the pass bends around attacking players rather than toward them. It’s only a matter of a couple of yards up close or a few yards at distance but can make all the difference.  Also, when you are running back to goal and a winger whips in a low cross it’s much easier to clear with the inside of your stronger leg than the outside of it if you are playing it with your right and it’s your stronger foot.  Of course, some players have a strong weaker foot and so it might not matter that much to them.’

All this, agreed.

FWIW, when Cornelius started for the Caps, with Gutierrez at LB and Teibert on the left of the central midfield, they were actually pretty proficient together at quick passing the ball out of press pressure in their own end.

I hope he finishes his season at Malmo in strong fashion in preparation for the November qualifier.

4 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Love seeing all these...

But it's bullshit, the CPL guys tell them to say "I'll be watching" when none of them will be. Not Laryea a bit before playing LA, and none of the guys in Europe are going to be up at midnight or later with games today or tomorrow.

I hate content editors who make up lies for you to say and dumb shit players repeating what they're told.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But it's bullshit, the CPL guys tell them to say "I'll be watching" when none of them will be. Not Laryea a bit before playing LA, and none of the guys in Europe are going to be up at midnight or later with games today or tomorrow.

I hate content editors who make up lies for you to say and dumb shit players repeating what they're told.

Not about to lose any sleep over it tbh, and apparently neither are our boys lol.

1 hour ago, PegCityCam said:

Not about to lose any sleep over it tbh, and apparently neither are our boys lol.

I mean, Malmo are two points off the league with three games left, are away to Norkopping which is 5 hours drive, and they play Sunday at 4pm. 

But Derek is going to watch the CPL final from midnight to 2, Twitch live, either from the hotel or sleeping 5 hours before getting up to catch their bus, and his contract will rightly be revoked for pandering to the CPL media gurus.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I mean, Malmo are two points off the league with three games left, are away to Norkopping which is 5 hours drive, and they play Sunday at 4pm. 

But Derek is going to watch the CPL final from midnight to 2, Twitch live, either from the hotel or sleeping 5 hours before getting up to catch their bus, and his contract will rightly be revoked for pandering to the CPL media gurus.

Still better than paying Fabrizio Romano to announce a tenuous expansion team

6 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I don't find it too difficult to believe that Larin would stay up to midnight to watch a bunch of his old friends play in a championship game. Same for Laryea, both of them came through Sigma and were teammates with some of the Forge guys.

Not until midnight, started after midnight in Europe. I also didn't watch for that reason, was tired. I just woke up, almost 7 here.

Cyle played this afternoon, went home to his family and was in bed before 12… he's a pro.

Laryea was in pregame protocol or else playing vs LA the entire duration in Hamilton.

None of them watched.

Big game (all are at this point, I guess) for his club currently ongoing. Need a win and nil-nil in the second half.

Trail the league leaders by 2 going in; a win will again put them top by 1,  having played one more game.

They play the team below them and then the team above them in the next two (and final) games.

Edit: They take the lead.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

17 hours ago, red card said:

It also shows it wasn't unanimous view that CPL is a minor league and/or their advisors were out of touch with the players.

To be honest, it is impossible to discern motive for this.   If anything, it seems a bit sus than suddenly the CMNT are all on board for CPL.  

Maybe it is genuine recognition that CPL can make a substantial and valuable contribution to footy in our country. 

Maybe the CSA tried to exert a bit of pressure to get them to play nice.  

Maybe it is a tactic to start getting less adversarial with CSB and the CPL generally in an effort to get a better compensation deal.  

Who knows. It could be any of them.  Or all of them.  Or something else entirely.  All I can say with any degree of confidence is that it is positive that externally, there appears to be support.  That is better than the previous state of affairs.  But beyond that I would hesitate to attribute any specific motive. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

18 hours ago, red card said:

It also shows it wasn't unanimous view that CPL is a minor league and/or their advisors were out of touch with the players.

Why does it show that? You can think something is minor league and still think it's something that's well worth watching when the final rolls around. Would NHL players have to believe that the Memorial Cup is major league before they would encourage hockey fans to watch?

4 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Big game (all are at this point, I guess) for his club currently ongoing. Need a win and nil-nil in the second half.

Trail the league leaders by 2 going in; a win will again put them top by 1,  having played one more game.

They play the team below them and then the team above them in the next two (and final) games.

Edit: They take the lead.

Officially in the Europa League qualies and guaranteed 2nd in the league. Last year finished 7th in the league. At the beginning of the season Derek was being talked about as one of their least exciting signings and pretty much just a side note. What a season for him and Malmo.

Edited by PegCityCam

7 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Officially in the Europa League qualies and guaranteed 2nd in the league. Last year finished 7th in the league. At the beginning of the season Derek was being talked about as one of their least exciting signings and pretty much just a side note. What a season for him and Malmo.

23 goals conceded over 28 matches.  Not bad at all. 

Pontus Jansson has been a huge veteran presence since the summer and a nice story but Cornelius has probably been as big a part of that stinginess.

(Not to put the cat amongst the pidgeons, but playing three at the back for the most part.)

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

On 10/28/2023 at 7:51 PM, red card said:

This isn’t new though. Laryea and Henry were at last years playoffs. Larin, Hutchinson and Henry own a CPL related team. Henry joined the league. The evidence has been plain and obvious for a while now. 

From what I’m told, the CPL derision was from a very small minority. Certainly not from any of the European players or the above mentioned players.  

35 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This isn’t new though. Laryea and Henry were at last years playoffs. Larin, Hutchinson and Henry own a CPL related team. Henry joined the league. The evidence has been plain and obvious for a while now. 

From what I’m told, the CPL derision was from a very small minority. Certainly not from any of the European players or the above mentioned players.  

Wasn't it Alistair Johnston that called the CPL a minor league?

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

Yup.  Which would - to me - seem the complete opposite of what I'd expect from Alistair.  Makes me believe it was understood out of context or just poorly phrased on his part.

That, or that the idea that the CPL is a waste of money on a poor league is so pervasive throughout the national team that even a team player like AJ doesn’t buy into the league. I was surprised to hear him say it though.